Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:03 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have to disagree too as I saw loads of drunks in my time and heard a lot of wives and children being beaten by drunken men..
Ask any cop if he thinks there is no correlation between drunkenness and wife beating/domestic abuse. The denial of defenders of alcohol knows no bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 01:20 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Ask any cop if he thinks there is no correlation between drunkenness and wife beating/domestic abuse. The denial of defenders of alcohol knows no bounds.
Everybody knows the harm alcohol does. It affects different people in different ways. In my younger days, I saw how friends could become violent after taking drink. Others, like me, it just made me friendly, and eventually sleepy.

But it is true, that many, many, people all over the world, only drink socially. A few beers at a bar, a bottle of wine with a meal. Many, nowadays take a drink while watching television in their own homes.

Some, end up dependent on alcohol, and it can, and does ruin their lives. But, for all this, the majority enjoy a drink, and find it a relaxing way to unwind.

Humans are weak creatures. They are now, and always have been so. Life has always been stressful, and sometimes very difficult. Look at smoking for instance, and the damage that has done to so many people. But this addictive habit is, and was enjoyed by billions all over the world. I know smokers only harm themselves, which is different to alcohol. But....... it's all part of the weakness and fragility of people.

We can rant and rage about alcohol, and the damage it has caused so many people, and for so long in history. But, it serves a purpose, and nothing will change that. All we can do is educate, and try and minimise the damage it causes in so many parts of society.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:10 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Everybody knows the harm alcohol does. It affects different people in different ways. In my younger days, I saw how friends could become violent after taking drink. Others, like me, it just made me friendly, and eventually sleepy.

But it is true, that many, many, people all over the world, only drink socially. A few beers at a bar, a bottle of wine with a meal. Many, nowadays take a drink while watching television in their own homes.

Some, end up dependent on alcohol, and it can, and does ruin their lives. But, for all this, the majority enjoy a drink, and find it a relaxing way to unwind.

Humans are weak creatures. They are now, and always have been so. Life has always been stressful, and sometimes very difficult. Look at smoking for instance, and the damage that has done to so many people. But this addictive habit is, and was enjoyed by billions all over the world. I know smokers only harm themselves, which is different to alcohol. But....... it's all part of the weakness and fragility of people.

We can rant and rage about alcohol, and the damage it has caused so many people, and for so long in history. But, it serves a purpose, and nothing will change that. All we can do is educate, and try and minimise the damage it causes in so many parts of society.
Smoking does harm others too Dave.. in a different way.. morning..but we are talking alchol in this thread and my uncle who brought me up drank heavily even when driving.. he wasnt abusive but embarrassing and dangerous to others on the road... it also meant that most of his money went on booze and wasnt handed into the house.. so it caused other conficts and misery..

Old 07-23-2016, 02:47 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Smoking does harm others too Dave.. in a different way.. morning..but we are talking alchol in this thread and my uncle who brought me up drank heavily even when driving.. he wasnt abusive but embarrassing and dangerous to others on the road... it also meant that most of his money went on booze and wasnt handed into the house.. so it caused other conficts and misery..
Good morning dizzy...... Yes, I was only using smoking as an example of self harm humans do to themselves. I have never smoked, but I understand the nicotine has a calming effect on people, which is why they smoke more when stressed.

It is another example of drug use, in which alcohol is one also. Alcohol is the world's most popular drug, and also one that most indulge without addiction. But, acknowledging this, I do understand the damage it does to the drinker, and family members when it's use gets out of control. A drunk does massive damage to himself, and others.

My wife's first husband was an alcoholic, and ended up dying alone, and unloved. But, this doesn't stop her enjoying a glass of wine with Sunday dinner, and indulgence a few times a week with a vodka and coke, while she watches the television of an evening. This is what the majority of people use alcohol for...... just to relax, and enjoy a drink.

Over the years, drinking and driving, has been curbed, as it should. I well remember the days of drink driving not even been considered wrong. Slowly, over time, this attitude has changed. But, no matter how much people would like to imagine a world without alcohol, it is not going to happen.

People will always look for a way to help them relax. Whether it's some smoking weed, or tobacco, there will always be something. We all know how the world should be, but realists accept that will never come to pass.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,167 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Binge drinking, and wife beating are both social ills, or perhaps you disagree?
There's a good deal of difference between beating up your spouse and drinking to much.

Lots of people drink, some to excess and many just end up with a hang over the next day.

Shoplifting or drug taking are social ills but I wouldn't compare then to rape or murder.

There may be some correlation between substance abuse and domestic violence just as there is between mental illness and domestic vilence as well a host of numerous other such factors.

Men That Commit Domestic Violence Often Have Mental Health Problems - The Gazette Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuge - Domestic Violence Help | Domestic Abuse Charity

Myth: Alcohol and drugs make men violent.

Many men are violent when they are stone-cold sober. Many men who drink never lay a finger on their partner.

Blaming drink or drugs is an excuse, a way of denying responsibility. Both may be the trigger for a particular attack, but they are not the underlying cause.

Myths of domestic violence | Refuge
Beating up a spouse is a very different social ill too just drinking too much, and I am afraid if you can't comprehend this fact then there is little point in conversing any further.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-23-2016 at 03:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 03:37 AM

703 posts, read 446,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Nice to read a good balanced post Dave.
You're quite right of course, alcohol is with us and always will be. My concern always has been the legacy we pass on to our youngsters, not in having a go at drinkers. Unfortunately alcohol enjoys a status not enjoyed by any other drug, i.e. there is no stigma at all in taking it. Maybe that's because it's taken by mouth so it appears a perfectly natural thing to do.
I suspect that in coming years the cancer link will become more & more apparent as with smoking, and at a certain point many people will ask themselves if the risk is worth it. Government will pick up on the public mood and introduce more education, limit the vast range of alcohol outlets we have now, and at that point the tide will turn the other way. Getting people to quit smoking wasn't an easy job and remains unfinished but at least the relentless momentum against it is there, and no youngster today can be in any doubt about the consequences of it. Sadly, that isn't the case as yet with alcohol.
I am convinced there are many youngsters who go out drinking but wouldn't dream of indulging in illegal drugs because they see them as occupying different camps (due to their legal/illegal status).
I think the task is to get the message across that in spite of our illogical laws ( as so well illustrated by Professor Nutt) they occupy very much the same camp.
As it is we are leaving our kids an unenviable financial legacy. Lets not add a similar one for health.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:39 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There's a good deal of difference between beating up your spouse and drinking to much.

Lots of people drink, some to excess and many just end up with a hang over the next day.

Shoplifting or drug taking are social ills but I wouldn't compare then to rape or murder.

There may be some correlation between substance abuse and domestic violence just as there is between mental illness and domestic vilence as well a host of numerous other such factors.

Men That Commit Domestic Violence Often Have Mental Health Problems - The Gazette Review

Beating up a spouse is a very different social ill too just drinking too much, and I am afraid if you can't comprehend this fact then there is little point in conversing any further.
Abusing your wife and children doesnt always go with alcohol... thats very true... but aggressive behaviour can be caused by alcohol for many people... If I was argumentative or aggressive in drink Id never touch the stuff again....I take it to relax, two small whiskys in a pint glass of Irn Bru.. that does me and Im never drunk... I suffer badly from stress and it relaxes me.... a crutch I admit to but it helps me and I do no harm ..One of my uncles was the nicest, helpful man you could meet, he worked hard and did odd jobs around his house, but with drink he was a demon and horrible to be around... The next day he would tell his family how sorry he was and it was all due to drink then do the same thing that weekend again...I can go without alchol for long periods of time until something happens that gets me badly stressed or unhappy and it seem to help.. although I feel its weak and sad really..

Old 07-23-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Abusing your wife and children doesnt always go with alcohol... thats very true... but aggressive behaviour can be caused by alcohol for many people... If I was argumentative or aggressive in drink Id never touch the stuff again....I take it to relax, two small whiskys in a pint glass of Irn Bru.. that does me and Im never drunk... I suffer badly from stress and it relaxes me.... a crutch I admit to but it helps me and I do no harm ..One of my uncles was the nicest, helpful man you could meet, he worked hard and did odd jobs around his house, but with drink he was a demon and horrible to be around... The next day he would tell his family how sorry he was and it was all due to drink then do the same thing that weekend again...I can go without alchol for long periods of time until something happens that gets me badly stressed or unhappy and it seem to help.. although I feel its weak and sad really..
There are a range of factors that can cause violence, for instance I don't think most road rage incidents are down to alcohol, and factors such as mental illness also have to be take in to consideration.

Substance abuse can be a factor, and different people may react differently to substances, for instance marijuana which is illegal may trigger psychosis in a small minority of people, but not the vast majority.

Furthermore of people want to get out of their minds, they can now use legal highs or even just sniff household solvents, which kill moe people than heroin, ecstasy or cocaine put together.

There is nothing wrong with Drinking within moderation, and as I pointed out at the start of the thread, one in five adults are now teetotal and binge drinking especially among young people is declining.

As for the link between Cancer and Alcohol it's well documented and there are currently TV Adverts highlighting the issue.

However I don't believe in a Nanny State and people should be reliable informed of the risk and allowed to make their own decisions in life.

As dor Domestic Violence the police response has changed significantly in recent decades, and perpertrators are arrested and charged, and there is more support for victims of such abuse.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-23-2016 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 05:08 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I think you've completely lost, or more likely, never found, the context of the discussion.

The OP referenced that science had found a direct link between alcohol and seven kinds of cancer. You were the first to respond with a series of links which pointed to a decline in drinking, particularly excessive binge drinking, as if that somehow invalidated the science finding. Otherwise, why post those links, they had nothing to do with the issue the OP was highlighting.

I said, facetiously, that your post was akin to saying I now beat my wife less frequently.

I was facetious because rates of drinking, binge or otherwise, can go up or down, independently, and have no bearing on the science finding.

What you said (thru your links) about alcohol, was like saying that because the fines for wife beating have increased, I can now only afford to beat my wife less frequently, or the converse as the case may be.

You seem oblivious to that.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I think you've completely lost, or more likely, never found, the context of the discussion.

The OP referenced that science had found a direct link between alcohol and seven kinds of cancer. You were the first to respond with a series of links which pointed to a decline in drinking, particularly excessive binge drinking, as if that somehow invalidated the science finding. Otherwise, why post those links, they had nothing to do with the issue the OP was highlighting.

I said, facetiously, that your post was akin to saying I now beat my wife less frequently.

I was facetious because rates of drinking, binge or otherwise, can go up or down, independently, and have no bearing on the science finding.

What you said (thru your links) about alcohol, was like saying that because the fines for wife beating have increased, I can now only afford to beat my wife less frequently, or the converse as the case may be.

You seem oblivious to that.
Lots of things can increase your risk of developing cancer including poor diet, obesity, smoking, exposure to chemicals and even drinking beyond reccommended medical levels.

As for being completley lost, I think it is you that has lost the plot, as I have already explained you can enjoy a drink in moderation without hurting anybody could you say the same about wife beating. Many people enjoy an occasional drink and as already pointed out drinking rates are declining and 20% of the population are now teetotal, which should be welcomed as should better diet and lower levels of obesity.

Bacon, ham and sausages 'as big a cancer threat as smoking', WHO to warn - Telegraph

Barbecued meat can cause kidney cancer, say US researchers | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Processed meats do cause cancer - WHO - BBC News

Research links cancer to fruit and vegetables - The Guardian

The 116 things that can give you cancer – the full list - The Guardian

Obesity could lead to 700,000 more cancer cases in next 20 years - The Guardian

Hot drinks probably cause cancer, warns World Health Organisation

'Give up dairy products to beat cancer' - Telegraph

White bread, bagels and rice 'increase the risk of lung cancer by 49 per cent' - Telegraph

Pasta Lovers Beware: New Study Links Carbs to Lung Cancer | Alternet

Sugar found in ketchup and Coke linked to breast cancer - Telegraph

Why scented candles could cause cancer - Telegraph

Common household chemicals 'causing cancer and reduced fertility' - Telegraph

Will polystyrene cancer concerns prompt brands to change? - The Guardian

Does canned food cause cancer?

Diesel exhausts do cause cancer, says WHO - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-23-2016 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom