Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,617,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
You must be around some very anomalous Americans. I have never heard one from any part of the country put an "r" in "Shaw" or "dawn", and certainly the majority pronounce all those last three differently from one another.
The Americans I've met put an r in Shaw. Not that American strong r, but an r nevertheless. I usually write it as an "ah" rather than an "ar", but it's the same sound.

Would you see Shaw and shah as homonyms?

I've just been trying to do an American accent for those Nd I've scared the cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:52 AM

14,399 posts, read 11,823,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
The Americans I've met put an r in Shaw. Not that American strong r, but an r nevertheless. I usually write it as an "ah" rather than an "ar", but it's the same sound.

I've just been trying to do an American accent for those and I've scared the cat.
Yes, Shaw and shah are homonyms for me.

There is no R. Perhaps that's because, although Australians pronounce a word such as "far" without an R, it's spelled with an R and psychologically they consider that there is an R there. Shaw, as spoken by an American, has the same vowel, so it seems like it must end with R also.

But to an American, "ah" and "ar" are not remotely the same sound. An American listening to an Australian say "far" hears "fahhh." No R.

Another example is the name Taylor. To an Australian, Taylor and Tayla would be two spellings of the same name. To an American, they are entirely different names.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:46 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,684,585 times
Quote:
You must be around some very anomalous Americans. I have never heard one from any part of the country put an "r" in "Shaw" or "dawn", and certainly the majority pronounce all those last three differently from one another.
I think it's a Washington State thing (which they would pronounce more like Wah-shington or Waw-shington)

Old 08-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
I think it's a Washington State thing (which they would pronounce more like Wah-shington or Waw-shington)
Ah, some Americans do put in R in the words "wash" and "Washington." They actually say "warsh" and "Warshington" (not the British/Australian non-existent R, but a very audible one ).

But people from Washington State aren't the ones that typically do that; rather some Northeastern and Midwesterners. It's very common, or at least it was, in Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:17 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,801,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Ah, some Americans do put in R in the words "wash" and "Washington." They actually say "warsh" and "Warshington" (not the British/Australian non-existent R, but a very audible one ).

But people from Washington State aren't the ones that typically do that; rather some Northeastern and Midwesterners. It's very common, or at least it was, in Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.
Exactly. And I've heard that "warsh" for "wash" from someone in upper NY state, which borders on Ohio (I think!)

WildColonialGirl has the accent correct for Boston and New Jersey, New York. The NJ/NYers say cwaffee. I think Bostonians would say "cawfee." I say "cawfee."

I have lived in Massachusetts my entire life but I don't have a Boston/eastern Massachusetts accent. I pronounce the letter R. caR. HaRvaRd. The cutest version of the eastern New England accent has to be in Maine. They drop their "r's and they don't have that strange nasal tone that affects Boston. But they have a sort of soft spoken tone, slower, more relaxed speech--and don't you just love it when one of the old timers says, "Ayuh." That's their trademark. You talk to one of them and, as they listen, they will quietly agree, by nodding and softly repeating, "ayuh."

Old 08-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
WildColonialGirl has the accent correct for Boston and New Jersey, New York. The NJ/NYers say cwaffee. I think Bostonians would say "cawfee." I say "cawfee."
On the West Coast, we say "cahfee" with the same vowel as "father." We don't use that rounded "aw" vowel very much out here.

Quote:
What's most annoying is how Americans add extra consonant to words like - cold isn't cold, they pronounce it -co-wold. There are so many examples of that.
Adding an extra syllable in words like "cold" is a feature of the New York and mid-Atlantic dialects. Most Americans don't do that.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:16 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,604,657 times
I am English, born and raised in central London, but I often had to speak French when I was growing up, and still have to speak it on a regular basis.
Personally I don't think that makes any difference to the way I pronounce English words.
e.g. I don't say "I had an 'am sandwich in zat 'otel."
I asked my wife, (also born and raised in inner London), to listen to me say, "I am sure that Mr. Shaw lives by the shore."
When she had listened, I said, "Was there much difference between the way I pronounced 'sure, Shaw, and shore?'
It took her a couple of seconds to understand what I meant, but she replied that all three sounded identical to her.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,020,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post

I've just been trying to do an American accent for those Nd I've scared the cat.
Definitely not, and we seem to have completely different ideas about what the letter "r" sounds like.

Shah="a" as in "father"
Shaw="aw" as in "saw"

Last edited by deb100; 08-05-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Definitely not, and we seem to have completely different ideas about what the letter "r" sounds like.

Shah="a" as in "father"
Shaw="aw" as in "saw"
Are you from the East Coast?

(I agree with you about the American vs. English R, but the fact that you distinguish those vowels makes me surmise you're from the opposite side of the country).

Old 08-05-2016, 04:04 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,251,231 times
I suppose it depends on which part of the UK you're hearing it from as there are a huge variety of accents and pronounciations even for such a relatively small group of islands. Certainly in some areas of the north they may pronounce "sure" as "shoo-er" but Shaw and Shore as you might expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom