Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:14 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Here's another picture for you in case anybody needed any further clarification
because there is no longer an England

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OMG. There will ALWAYS be an England.

England has left the European Union, maybe that's what you meant.
The OP's confusion was about England, not the UK leaving.

But I was always led to believe that about Yorkshire. (i.e., England is just a part of Yorkshire, lol.)
Just some myth passed down in the family though. Probably. I think so. Safer to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 06:19 PM

6,313 posts, read 6,872,042 times
I have heard that England was incorrect as it was the past and only Britain was the proper term and that England (the name) should be scrapped. I don't really know or care at the end of the day since I don't live over there. If people were calling Murica something I thought was incorrect they wouldn't hear the end of it from me, so what do I know.

Also I don't understand this Yorkshire thing. Are the terriers rising up to take over?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,035,356 times
It is a bit of a dumb thread, Scottish names are British, as are English names. The OP presumably means names from England in origin or Scotland.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I have heard that England was incorrect as it was the past and only Britain was the proper term and that England (the name) should be scrapped. I don't really know or care at the end of the day since I don't live over there. If people were calling Murica something I thought was incorrect they wouldn't hear the end of it from me, so what do I know.

Also I don't understand this Yorkshire thing. Are the terriers rising up to take over?
Yes, let's scrap England!

Only joking!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't understand the 'Yorkshire thing' either, and have asked this question on another thread, but no-one has answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
^ I can't say I know much about Yorkshire's need for 'independence' though! What would happen to Emmerdale?!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 PM

6,313 posts, read 6,872,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
It is a bit of a dumb thread, Scottish names are British, as are English names. The OP presumably means names from England in origin or Scotland.
Well if you fully read my OP then you'd know what I mean, instead you commented randomly after only reading the title and the first sentence.

But apparently I have a clan, that's pretty cool! English--you guys see what I did there, I didn't use British I used English--people don't have clans.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 PM

2,641 posts, read 4,071,689 times
If I'm not mistaken, British can mean citizenship originating from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territories. Technically, according to the diagram, Ireland itself a 'British Isle,' but I don't think it would please them to call them 'British.' Lest you want a fourpenny one (or "knuckle sandwich" in US Slang).

Having mentioned that, some people may see themselves as 'English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish, etc.', first and 'British' second; others 'British' first and 'English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish, etc.', second; others equally the same. The Northern Irish may also consider themselves 'British/Northern Irish/Irish', depending on preference.

I imagine the term 'British' appears more commonly used than 'English', because one specifies nationality, when the other is also the native language. (More than one country speaks English after all.) Whereas Scotland, Wales, and other parts of the UK had their own languages originally, hence no confusion.

Last edited by LexWest; 08-31-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
Jeez the OP only wanted to know where his name originates from not a ticking off for not knowing our geography..

Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,112,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Scotland is geographically part of Great Britain, or the British Isles, so it is British in that sense, but it's a separate entity to all Scots, and to the majority of the English too.

There still is an England, and it's part of the United Kingdom, as well as being part of Great Britain.

It may be more correct to say that the U.K. which includes Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, has left the E.U., not just England on its own has left.

Très drôle, that's like saying that the U.S.A. is part of Rhode Island, not a bad place, but wholly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
What do you mean 'in that sense'? Scotland is simply part of Great Britain, the same as England, if you are English you are British, if you are Scottish you are equally as British. You are not 'more' British by being English or Welsh, Britain came about when James VI of Scotland became James I of Britain, in other words despite what everybody seems to think it was a Scottish King that was the first king of the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,608,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I don't understand the 'Yorkshire thing' either, and have asked this question on another thread, but no-one has answered:
It's a long running thing, where some, certainly not all, inhabitants of that county allege that being from Yorkshire makes them superior to everyone, particularly someone from elsewhere in the U.K.
It's a total crock, a canard if you will, they are no more superior, nor is their county any better than say Shropshire, Kent, or Devon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What do you mean 'in that sense'? Scotland is simply part of Great Britain, the same as England, if you are English you are British, if you are Scottish you are equally as British. You are not 'more' British by being English or Welsh, Britain came about when James VI of Scotland became James I of Britain, in other words despite what everybody seems to think it was a Scottish King that was the first king of the United Kingdom of Great Britain.
I think that you know what I meant, I was attempting to convey that Scotland IS part of Great Britain, but its inhabitants are rightly proud of their "Scottishness", and are always ready to stress that Scotland was, and may eventually be again, a separate nation, even if, until then, Scotland remains part of Great Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom