Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 12:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

11am on November 11 in remembrance of the died from WW1?

If so, do people protest this observation? I ask this last line in lieu of the recent protesting during the National Anthem at USA Football games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:51 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
There will always be a small minority of radicals/protesters who will defy the Silence if only to get their 15 minutes of fame in the media, YouTube, or the likes of Fb.

There will be quite a few others who will carry on with their lives purely because they're unaware, or just don't care!

But I guess it could be argued that Democracy was fought and won so that people could support or protest anything they wanted, without fear of censor or punishment. Yes, to protest or ignore, could be construed as rude, offensive and insensitive. But should also be applauded because it is a hard fought right.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Old 09-09-2016, 02:53 PM

18,529 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Its the very least any of us living now can do for these men.. who gave it all for us and their countries...

Old 09-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,314 times
When i was growing up in the 50's the factories, would sound a siren, shops, schools etc would stop and observe the silence. As many of the families would have had someone who had been to war. Lest We Forget

Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 AM

336 posts, read 147,089 times
The service in Glasgow is always well attended, this video was made last year by 6 Scots the 52nd Lowland Battalion, the young cadets always get a great reception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CsCc7BsBGQ

Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

If so, do people protest this observation? I ask this last line in lieu of the recent protesting during the National Anthem at USA Football games.
There is nobody alive now who remembers WW1 and fewer and fewer who were around in WW2. In some respects it has become politicised in a way that it never was when I was growing up.

For my generation growing up in the post war years, the world wars were very real. My grandfather had fought in WW1 (I have his medals and photos of him in uniform), my great uncle was wounded and captured at Dunkirk, my mother had been 'bombed out', my father's cousin had been killed in the Far East, a family friend had been dropped at Arnhem, our joiner had fought and been captured in North Africa, my geography teacher had been a paratroop colonel and had us jumping off the desk and doing a 'roll' on landing and my latin teacher had been an interrogator of German POWs (which I imagine he was very good at).

Remembrance is different if you have a direct and personal connection. Otherwise it becomes a part of the national culture, an expression of solidarity or a political statement.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:58 AM

586 posts, read 831,204 times
Remembrance bears no relation to how one feels about the current state of ones country or it's leadership.

It is the act of remembering, not protesting and therefore bears no relation to the protests by some NFL players and others in the US. Those NFL players aren't deriding peoples memories or actions, they're protesting at what they feel to be wrong with their country at this moment in time.

Completely different.

Like others have said you do get some that see an opportunity to cause a stir but these are thankfully few and far between. When I attended the service at the Cenotaph in 2015 I saw no form of protestation on the way there or whilst there. Last years Bastille Day here in France was however somewhat different but our commemorations on 11th November last year was a respectful affair.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

Yes absolutely... I work in construction and there is always a beep on the fire alarm to let us know it's the time and it's always observed immaculately

Old 09-21-2016, 01:13 PM

308 posts, read 237,661 times
Yes always,i had relatives who fought in both wars.If youre shopping etc the shop tells you when its 11am.In fact if those who had fought WW1,they far preferred the minutes silence to be actually on the 11th,rather than shifted to the nearest convenient Sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom