Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times

Advertisements

If you have a Roku box, the Acorn TV channel has a lot of British tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Yes Acorn has Brit tv but not always what I want to see

Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Now that BBC requires a signon code to watch the streaming site, is there any way for someone in the US to watch?
Willing to pay a fee if reasonable
I watch BBC etc here in Canada by using a VPN. So far I haven't had to use any sign in codes. I'm not sure if using a VPN service is legal in the US, it is legal here in Canada. So perhaps look into that.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I watch BBC etc here in Canada by using a VPN. So far I haven't had to use any sign in codes. I'm not sure if using a VPN service is legal in the US, it is legal here in Canada. So perhaps look into that.
It's legal, but it's a constant cat and mouse struggle as the BBC moves to block VPN users.

Once everyone has to log into the service it'll be easy for the BBC to offer live and catch-up subscriptions to anyone willing to pay. That day will surely come.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I use a VPN
Read this
BBC iPlayer: New TV licence rules come into force - BBC News

Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I use a VPN
Likewise, but for several months this year it wouldn't work. As I said, they're actively trying to thwart people who use a VPN and don't pay a license fee. It'll all be solved once they allow people who live outside of the UK to pay for subscriptions.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
It's legal, but it's a constant cat and mouse struggle as the BBC moves to block VPN users.

Once everyone has to log into the service it'll be easy for the BBC to offer live and catch-up subscriptions to anyone willing to pay. That day will surely come.
We have the cat and mouse issue with Netflix on VPN's in Canada. So far BBC, 4OD etc have been fine. I do get the new pop up asking if I have a license but it doesn't ask for a code to continue.

So in the US BBC is asking for a code??

I'd hate to lose the BBC direct from the UK, it's got so many great shows. I'd be willing to pay as well for access.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So in the US BBC is asking for a code??
Not yet, but it's probably safe to assume that it's coming.

It's so easy to pirate TV from around the world these days that the broadcasters will almost have to give in and sell a la carte access to willing subscribers to bring in needed cash.

My dream is to pay $200 per month for access to every live/recorded TV show, song, movie and book that I'd like. Just keep it all in the cloud so that I can dump my massive CD and DVD collection and funnel money into the pockets of the people who create it.

For now, it's just bit by bit and piece by piece, and I'm surrounded by discs and storage media.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Read some readers suggestions, but not sure if they really work:
- For those who live outside UK and want to access 4OD you can use UnoTelly as I do to get around the geo block.
- I've been watching all the UK TV channels, as well as Netflix, Hulu, HBO, on all my devices using a SmartDNS connection from a provider that has very good speeds and costs under $5 USD per month.
- I use Hotspot Shield VPN a US company for about $25 a year and you can use it on upto 5 devices at once! Macs, Windows, Android and IOS devices. It's very good, and easy to switch to any country for content.

Update 1 September 2016: As of today you are legally required to own a TV licence in order to watch anything on BBC iPlayer (including catch-up content).
https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/38228/5...r-2016-update/
How to watch BBC iPlayer abroad - How-To - PC Advisor

Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Not yet, but it's probably safe to assume that it's coming.

It's so easy to pirate TV from around the world these days that the broadcasters will almost have to give in and sell a la carte access to willing subscribers to bring in needed cash.

My dream is to pay $200 per month for access to every live/recorded TV show, song, movie and book that I'd like. Just keep it all in the cloud so that I can dump my massive CD and DVD collection and funnel money into the pockets of the people who create it.

For now, it's just bit by bit and piece by piece, and I'm surrounded by discs and storage media.
I really can't see how they can stop it totally. People always find a way. Even with BBC requesting TV license codes those with friend or family in the UK might be able to use their codes, or unscrupulous companies in the UK, buy TV licences and then resell the codes to people. Totally illegal of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom