Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:56 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,080,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
So would that be the early hours of Sunday morning? Because I'm occasionally there at that time during nights out, I guess I better drink a bit less, I'll need to have my wits about me to avoid crossbow wielding maniacs!
Yes, watch your back! The English are coming after you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
"Handling salmon in suspicious circumstances", sounds a bit fishy to me, lol

One would have thought these silly laws would have been revoked by now. But imagine a situation where:--

you had to hail a taxi because you didn't have any change to park your car at the local B&Q in order to buy a ladder and carry it out into the countryside and lean it against a tree in order to retrieve your kite that got stuck in the highest branches; and then realizing you're still wearing a soldier's fancy dress worn down the local pub last night when you got drunk out of your face, staggering down the street, avoiding the woman shaking her mat, and ringing a doorbell by mistake because you thought you saw a pig outside someone's home while still holding a salmon in a very suspicious way!

I guess they would lock you up and throw away the key, lol!
Life imprisonment for all that lot! Who's gonna be walking around with a ladder anyway (unless they are a window cleaner or it's some 1970's comedy!)?

Old 10-05-2016, 05:02 AM

18,554 posts, read 18,844,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Send me to jail, now! I may have broken some laws. I'm sure I've been drunk in a pub before. I also might have cleaned my doormat after 8am. And I've hailed a moving taxi before...
Your living on the edge Star...haha

Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,453,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
So would that be the early hours of Sunday morning? Because I'm occasionally there at that time during nights out, I guess I better drink a bit less, I'll need to have my wits about me to avoid crossbow wielding maniacs!
Us crossbow wielding Englishmen are stone cold sober while manning those walls in Chester! Watch yourself.......

Old 10-05-2016, 03:04 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,939,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Us crossbow wielding Englishmen are stone cold sober while manning those walls in Chester! Watch yourself.......
Not from what I've seen...

Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
mmmm but do you have one of these Dave... I apply for membership of the Shooters’ Rights Association and agree to abide by the rules and byelaws. I enclose payment of £36 for my membership

Old 10-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Your living on the edge Star...haha
I know, Dizzy - I must be some sort of rebel. I also refused to pay the Poll Tax during the early 90s, when I was a poor student.

I had a Poll Tax bill, but they called me "Mr" on it. So I sent it back to Devon County Council, with a stroppy letter saying that they'd got my name wrong, and I wasn't paying it.

Like a lot of people at the time, I didn't believe in the Poll Tax anyway. But them getting my name wrong gave me an excuse to write an angry letter about it. I never heard back from them, so I thought "Fair enough, I won't have to pay it then"!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I know, Dizzy - I must be some sort of rebel. I also refused to pay the Poll Tax during the early 90s, when I was a poor student.

I had a Poll Tax bill, but they called me "Mr" on it. So I sent it back to Devon County Council, with a stroppy letter saying that they'd got my name wrong, and I wasn't paying it.

Like a lot of people at the time, I didn't believe in the Poll Tax anyway. But them getting my name wrong gave me an excuse to write an angry letter about it. I never heard back from them, so I thought "Fair enough, I won't have to pay it then"!
hahahaha and quite right too Star.... you showed them.... the poll tax was the most unfair thing ever...My claim to being a rebel was around the same time... I had three peart times jobs two in a creche and one as a cleaner at night in a school, I was run ragged just to get by.. One night two of the supervisors came over to myself and another domestic and had a sheet of paper and a pen.........OK she said.... How much will you be giving to charity each week off your pay for people in some part of Africa............I was stunned and said.... "put me down for nothing "...... she looked taken aback...... "Did I hear you right, your not contributing, but all the other domestics are giving a pound or more a week"....I smiled and said.. They can be goaded into anything they want.... why not go and ask the people at the top of the council chain to give more... and dont come telling the lower paid what they have to give...... I give to charity on my own when and if I want to, not when Im told... she looked at the other lady I was working with and she said the same as me .... even the supervisor ended up agreeing with us... it wasnt the charity it was the cheek of them thinking for us and telling us to give from our meagre wages..

Last edited by dizzybint; 10-06-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahaha and quite right too Star.... you showed them.... the poll tax was the most unfair thing ever...
I know. I think there was talk a few years later, saying that they were going to chase up everyone who didn't pay it. But nothing came of it... thank goodness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom