Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 08:32 AM

1,529 posts, read 920,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
There you have it. A comparison between being told the benefits of immigration, and what our eyes tell us. We know what's going on. The rich love the cheap labour, and the depressing of wages caused by mass immigration. They live in their fancy homes in the best parts of London, and out in the countryside in their weekend homes. The rest of us have to deal with the dregs of Eastern Europe all around us.

The argument goes, ah, we have to accept the bad parts of mass immigration, but embrace the good parts. Well, the bad parts are overwhelming us. Everybody knows we can't cope with much more. The rich don't care about many parts of our country, and the mess it is in. Many of our young people in despair at not even being to afford the rent on a falling down house.

Overcrowding in small houses jammed with immigrants. Any idea what it's like living near Roma Gypsies? Try asking the people of Sheffield. We are sick of excuses, and want real change. If we don't get it, the whole thing will blow one of these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ia-immigration
Dave, I am reading about your (plural) problems. Have all of them been created by your membership in the EU? Even if you manage to get everything you want (unlikely) from your negotiations with the EU, there will still be a lot of unhappiness and complaining. How much are you willing to give? Nothing is going to change overnight, and there will be years of problems and hardships ahead of you. I hope you have the patience and stamina to survive it all.

Do you and the other posters represent the feelings of the majority of the British public?

As to the Gypsies, I remember seeing lots of them roaming the english countryside in the early sixties when I was living there. That was long before the EU. Where did they come from, or were they British Gypsies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Dave, I am reading about your (plural) problems. Have all of them been created by your membership in the EU? Even if you manage to get everything you want (unlikely) from your negotiations with the EU, there will still be a lot of unhappiness and complaining. How much are you willing to give? Nothing is going to change overnight, and there will be years of problems and hardships ahead of you. I hope you have the patience and stamina to survive it all.

Do you and the other posters represent the feelings of the majority of the British public?

As to the Gypsies, I remember seeing lots of them roaming the english countryside in the early sixties when I was living there. That was long before the EU. Where did they come from, or were they British Gypsies?
They were and are in the main, Irish gypsies red. Sadly, we're stuck with them, but we sure don't need any more. How much are we willing to give? Nothing on immigration. That is our red line. We have to be able to decide who comes to live in this country. We will always need talented people, which goes without saying. Do we need more stupid people here, to add to our own stupid ones? We have enough of them to deal with, without more from Europe.

At the moment, we are adding about 300,000 people to our population each year. I don't understand why Europe thinks we have to carry on in this vein, what, forever? Yes, I know much of this immigration is not coming from Europe. We have to start somewhere. We cannot tolerate being told free movement is essential to us gaining access to European markets.

The EU has to understand how serious an issue this is for us. We just cannot cope with the amounts of immigration much longer. I have spoken of my fears of a civil war down the line. This may still happen for sure anyway, for more reasons than European immigration. I know that, but we can't just carry on the way we are now.

I have said before, I voted out for the young people of this country, not myself. I own my home, I have good pensions, I have money. I don't want the young of this country being forced to struggle to put a roof over their heads. I know the lack of housing probably isn't of much concern to immigrants. All they want to do is get into my country, and make a life for themselves. But, someone has to start thinking about British people, and less about the welfare of immigrants.

When I heard Theresa May say on television, the least likely group of people in this country to go to university are young white British men, I felt angry. We have been sold down the river by politicians for decades, and I'm sick of it. I can well understand the feelings of anger of young British white men. They must feel no one gives a damn about them, in the country of their birth. If we carry on this way, this will not end well.

You ask if we, and the other posters here represent the feelings of the majority of the public. We represent the majority who voted to leave the EU. Not the snotty nosed kids who worry about losing Nando's. They have had the rubbish of the wonders of multiculturalism shoved down their throats for decades. They have been told how wonderful it all is. Being brought up to it, they remind me of the people in the book 1984. It's all they know, but it doesn't make it true.

We have had immigration forced on us for many decades. We have struggled to deal with people like Muslims who have never become a part of British society. 'Parallel Societies' we are told, are all over my country. We have that to deal with, and just that is a massive problem. Not just for us, but other countries in the EU. On top of that, we have massive immigration from Eastern Europe. I have nothing against the people themselves. They are told they can come here, so they do. Many of them are hard workers, but many take more than they contribute. The only winners seem to be the rich and powerful. They don't care about many areas of my country are struggling to deal with immigrants, some of which are not hard workers, and are here to take what they can.

I didn't feel this way once upon a time. I thought the best of people, and that everything would work out in the end. I don't see things that way any more. I dread what the future holds for my children, and grandchildren. We have to make a stand against the EU. Whatever bad that brings, I am convinced in the end, things will be better for the young people of this country. I am not interested in myself, because I have had my time, and done ok for myself. I want them to have the same chance. Nothing more, but nothing less. If the EU want nasty, we must return the same. No one will benefit, and it could cause massive harm. But one thing is for sure, it won't just be us getting hurt.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:20 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:

There have always been Irish 'travelers' (i.e. gypsies) since well before the EU. However, what we have now is an influx of Romanian gypsies/beggars (which you see throughout Europe) and who infest the cities in a way the Irish gypsies never did.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Immigration is an issue in the UK. And, if we are honest, it is a growing issue in much of Europe. I don't think EU immigration was much of a problem when it was essentially limited to western Europe. However, the massive influx of Polish and other eastern Europeans has changed attitudes. That, combined with the million or so 'refugees' that Merkel invited and then tried to force other countries to take, certainly hardened attitudes. The cosy consensus on free movement of labour is beginning to break down.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Immigration is an issue in the UK. And, if we are honest, it is a growing issue in much of Europe. I don't think EU immigration was much of a problem when it was essentially limited to western Europe. However, the massive influx of Polish and other eastern Europeans has changed attitudes. That, combined with the million or so 'refugees' that Merkel invited and then tried to force other countries to take, certainly hardened attitudes. The cosy consensus on free movement of labour is beginning to break down.
Exactly Jaggy. All the immigrants invited by Merkel will eventually gain passports. I am sure Germany won't stand in the way of any who like the idea of giving Britain a try. I would think they will be fast tracked for passports as quickly as decently possible. She invited them - she can keep them.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 920,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Quote:
Exactly Jaggy. All the immigrants invited by Merkel will eventually gain passports. I am sure Germany won't stand in the way of any who like the idea of giving Britain a try. I would think they will be fast tracked for passports as quickly as decently possible. She invited them - she can keep them.
I agree with both of you. Merkels invitation was well intended but rather naive at best. She may or may not suffer the price at next years election unless she manages to stop or at least slow down the amount of so called refugees trying to get into Germany and other European countries. Many Germans dislike them as much as you do.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I agree with both of you. Merkels invitation was well intended but rather naive at best. She may or may not suffer the price at next years election unless she manages to stop or at least slow down the amount of so called refugees trying to get into Germany and other European countries. Many Germans dislike them as much as you do.
I look at it like this. What do you think would happen if the situation were reversed? If we were invading Muslim countries because of war. If we were landing on beaches in boats in say Libya. Hundreds of thousands of hungry, frightened people traumatized by war. I'll tell you what would happen - we would be slaughtered on those beaches, and the women enslaved.

Yet, we are supposed to hold out the hand of friendship to these people. I am fed up of images of women and children shown in distressing videos. We know the truth. Last year the majority of those people traveling through Europe, and ending up in Germany were young Muslim men. Already, the lack of gratitude is showing in many ways.

I know it's hard, but they should be fighting for their countries, instead of invading ours. All of this connects in the minds of British people. We know if we don't leave the EU, sooner or later those people will be moved around the EU. We will have the do gooders in Britain preaching how much we should do our share to help these people. We have enough problems dealing with the immigrants we have now, without a new load coming to our country.

A lot of younger people like to beat around the bush, trying to put a nice spin on such things. I belong to a different generation. We call a spade, a spade. We have had enough with my country being swamped with foreigners. Those who don't like what I say, well I don't care. There are plenty of people in my country who feel the same way, but have been cowed by years of laws brought in to frighten us speaking what we feel.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:22 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
Quote:
I look at it like this. What do you think would happen if the situation were reversed? If we were invading Muslim countries because of war. If we were landing on beaches in boats in say Libya. Hundreds of thousands of hungry, frightened people traumatized by war. I'll tell you what would happen - we would be slaughtered on those beaches, and the women enslaved.

Yet, we are supposed to hold out the hand of friendship to these people. I am fed up of images of women and children shown in distressing videos. We know the truth. Last year the majority of those people traveling through Europe, and ending up in Germany were young Muslim men. Already, the lack of gratitude is showing in many ways.

I know it's hard, but they should be fighting for their countries, instead of invading ours. All of this connects in the minds of British people. We know if we don't leave the EU, sooner or later those people will be moved around the EU. We will have the do gooders in Britain preaching how much we should do our share to help these people. We have enough problems dealing with the immigrants we have now, without a new load coming to our country.

A lot of younger people like to beat around the bush, trying to put a nice spin on such things. I belong to a different generation. We call a spade, a spade. We have had enough with my country being swamped with foreigners. Those who don't like what I say, well I don't care. There are plenty of people in my country who feel the same way, but have been cowed by years of laws brought in to frighten us speaking what we feel.
Im always amazed at the way some can be brainwashed with all this and as you say cowed... as thats exactly what it is... the media and government have turned us into wimps... who have forgotten the men who died for our freedom and to make Great Britain what it is, not to be taken over by foreigners who want to use and abuse our country... IM not talking about decent hard working people who want to give back with their skills and taxes... IM talking about the riff raff scum who have crowded into this country who have criminal records.. no skills. too old to ever work here.... beggars and con men..who will only bring this country down... it might even be too late now.... god help our grandchildren and what were leaving them all. Its time some of us got some guts and spoke up and did something postive...

Old 10-09-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im always amazed at the way some can be brainwashed with all this and as you say cowed... as thats exactly what it is... the media and government have turned us into wimps... who have forgotten the men who died for our freedom and to make Great Britain what it is, not to be taken over by foreigners who want to use and abuse our country... IM not talking about decent hard working people who want to give back with their skills and taxes... IM talking about the riff raff scum who have crowded into this country who have criminal records.. no skills. too old to ever work here.... beggars and con men..who will only bring this country down... it might even be too late now.... god help our grandchildren and what were leaving them all. Its time some of us got some guts and spoke up and did something postive...
That's why ordinary British people hold Nigel Farage in such high esteem. He spoke for the ordinary people in the street. It's so long since we had someone like him. Someone willing to speak out, and express our fears. The Tories sneered at him, but grew to fear him. My only regret is that he has had enough of politics, and wants his life back. I don't blame him, but wish it wasn't so.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:19 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
Quote:
That's why ordinary British people hold Nigel Farage in such high esteem. He spoke for the ordinary people in the street. It's so long since we had someone like him. Someone willing to speak out, and express our fears. The Tories sneered at him, but grew to fear him. My only regret is that he has had enough of politics, and wants his life back. I don't blame him, but wish it wasn't so.
The rest used Farage as the joker in the pack. someone to laugh at.. but in the end he had the last laugh and knew it... I liked him.. he did what he wanted to do.. he wisened some of us up.. I think that was his mission..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom