Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:57 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,997,260 times

Advertisements

Here is a clip on Margret Thatcher said about the EU. I find it it cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tetk_ayO1x4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:15 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,449,986 times
Maggie was very suspicious of the EU, and where it was heading politically. She felt that what was begun as a 'common market' for selling goods without tariffs within Europe, was evolving into something different. She was right of course. But this was always the long term goal of leaders within the EU.

They want a 'United States of Europe', and that is what they will continue trying to achieve. But, smaller countries like Hungary as also now causing problems. I am convinced the whole thing will break up in a few years from now. Greece, and it's problems are not over, and they will return soon looking for more financial aid. At the same time, Greece is too frightened to break away. I can't see how things can get worse in Greece, but I guess we shall see even more cuts there. They have no chance of paying back the money owed already, but will soon need more. The whole thing is a dreadful mess.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,955,551 times
One of the problems with the EU is that political reality is not in synch with economic reality. Eastern European countries joined the EU for the economic benefits but, as has become clear in the migrant crisis, they are not at all on board with the political reality. There is the same problem in the Euro zone. The decision to move to the Euro was a political one. Economically, a lot of countries - and especially in Southern Europe - were not at all ready to go to a single currency. This has led to the continuing sovereign debt crisis in the EU and which is still a long way from being resolved.

In some respects, the EEC/EU was hijacked by a federalist vision which was common currency amongst the political classes of Western Europe but which is a long way from what ordinary people actually want. Because of this, many of these politicians only really pay lip service to democracy because, in their opinion, the 'people' don't know what is good for them. At the same time, the political classes are busy enriching themselves at the expense of ordinary people. This is at the heart of the huge democratic deficit within the EU structure.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM

1,529 posts, read 918,929 times
It iz zose dam tschermans again. Zei didn't suceed vith militry so zei decide taken over Europa vith economy. It iz time to hafe die Amis comen back und streighten out ze mess, no?

No gut idee, ja Amis hafe thier owning mess. So mebe tschermans go to Amiland to get ze yannky probleme solved. Gut ide zat, no? Vill aks russkis to coming joinin in ze funn. Francose und die Englander can votch to se how sings vork the odder way. haha as amorow vould say.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:47 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,502,857 times
the problem with the EU was that uk wasn't leading it. You can't trust the french and the germans. they've caused most of europe's problems since the fall of the roman empire. plus, the germans were never romanized. there's a barbarian still in them like the russians after they were conquered by the mongols.

the UK should have had the whole continent speaking english. The EU never had an alexander Hamilton. the governing structures were undemocratic. You couldn't even vote for some members in the EU parliament. Its like having the house of lords. The single market and no borders were good idea for tourists and businessmen but the EU states weren't ready to give up more sovereignty.

Now you have the muslim refugees and merkel telling you what to do. Other countries didn't elect merkel and you'll problably have assimilation problems if they males become orthodox and unemployed.

the only thing the UK should given up is driving on the left side of the road.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

Never!!! We need to convince the rest of the world to drive on the left!!............

Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,124,240 times
I remember my dad watching this BBC Tv show from the 1980s, and still watches the repeats. He loves the show (personally I'm not all that keen). However, I do recall this particular scene. Seems quite apposite somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

Old 10-05-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
I remember my dad watching this BBC Tv show from the 1980s, and still watches the repeats. He loves the show (personally I'm not all that keen). However, I do recall this particular scene. Seems quite apposite somehow
That show was a favourite of Thatcher's........ I think she recognised a lot of truth in it, and it amused her.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 918,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
the problem with the EU was that uk wasn't leading it. You can't trust the french and the germans. they've caused most of europe's problems since the fall of the roman empire. plus, the germans were never romanized. there's a barbarian still in them like the russians after they were conquered by the mongols.

the UK should have had the whole continent speaking english. The EU never had an alexander Hamilton. the governing structures were undemocratic. You couldn't even vote for some members in the EU parliament. Its like having the house of lords. The single market and no borders were good idea for tourists and businessmen but the EU states weren't ready to give up more sovereignty.

Now you have the muslim refugees and merkel telling you what to do. Other countries didn't elect merkel and you'll problably have assimilation problems if they males become orthodox and unemployed.

You are so right DB. The ex rulers of the British Empire would have been perfect to lead the EU. Of course you can not trust the French any further than the Germans can throw them. Provided they can first catch them. How come the Germans were never romanized (?), no wonder they are still barbarians. I heard once in a while they eat raw meat.

The whole continent should speak english. Which one the Kings or American? A few years ago German almost became the european language. Well the cousins came to the rescue.

And than along came Angela telling everybody what to do. I think the Brits came close to be told to drive on the right side of the road. Why not, the Germans know more about making and driving cars than anybody else. As far as muslim refugees are concerned, the UK needs a few more to fill all the mosques being build for them. The French can teach the Brits how to assimilate muslims as they are experts at it.

Well take care then.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,502,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE
I always found british humour dry but that was funny and true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom