Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 2,973 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been arrested for drink driving? What's the limit in the UK, I just moved here and am curious? What is the best way to be sure that you can drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 12:03 PM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Never driven while under the influence, however information about the legal limits can be found here

Best advice is don't drink and drive full stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinkaware

What's the drink driving limit in England and Wales?

In England and Wales, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath or 107 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine. In most other European countries, the limit is less, usually 50 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood.

What is the drink driving limit in Scotland?

The alcohol limit for drivers in Scotland is different than in the rest of the UK. In December 2014 the limit was reduced to 50 milligrams of alcohol in every 100 millilitres of blood. The breath alcohol equivalent reduced to 22 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.
The Scottish Government say they have changed their drink drive limit to bring Scotland in line with most other European countries, to save lives and make Scotland’s roads safer.

How much can I drink and stay under the limit?

There is no fool-proof way of drinking and staying under the limit. The amount of alcohol you would need to drink to be considered over the driving limit varies from person to person.

It depends on:
  • Your weight, age, sex and metabolism (the rate your body uses energy)
  • The type and amount of alcohol you’re drinking
  • What you’ve eaten recently
  • Your stress levels at the time
Even small amounts of alcohol can affect your ability to drive so the only safe advice is to avoid any alcohol if you are driving.

Drink driving and the legal alcohol limit - Drinkaware

Old 11-01-2016, 01:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,130,589 times
It is also worth mentioning that the legal limits of alcohol consumption for driving isn't an exact science as the above article underlines!

A small glass of wine probably won't affect one person, but could do the opposite with someone else who is less tolerant to booze.

Best not take that chance quite frankly

Old 11-01-2016, 01:57 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,493,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender_88 View Post
What is the best way to be sure that you can drive?
Don't drink.

If you want to drink, call a cab.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, especially Brave New World, but what about second question? breathalyzer or maybe some apps/websites?

Old 11-02-2016, 03:55 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Thanks guys, especially Brave New World, but what about second question? breathalyzer or maybe some apps/websites?
If you refuse the breath test you are arrested anyway, and have to appear before the magistrates and can be given a similar driving ban or penalties.

Being stopped by the police while driving: your rights - GOV.UK

Drink Driving Penalties and Maximum Punishments

Old 11-02-2016, 03:18 PM

I meant what is the best way to be sure that i can drive, buying breathalyzer or maybe online calculators?

Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 PM

14,734 posts, read 15,196,601 times
Quote:
I meant what is the best way to be sure that i can drive, buying breathalyzer or maybe online calculators?
The most obvious way to be sure you can drive is to not drink booze.

Or .... you could install an ignition interlock device in your car. An ignition interlock device (IID) is similar to a breathalyzer, however an IID is connected to the vehicle dashboard or other location inside the vehicle and requires that a driver breath into the device prior to starting the vehicle. If the ignition interlock device detects the blood alcohol concentration of the driver to be above the programmed limit in the ignition interlock device, then the engine of the vehicle will not start.

If you have a known problem with drinking and driving then the law might require you to install an IID in your car.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The most obvious way to be sure you can drive is to not drink booze.

Ofc, but i dont wanna drive immediately after drinking, e.g next morning, i did some research and i found english website alcohol-unit-calculator and i wonder has anyone ever tried it or similar apps/websites (online calculators) ? Does it accurate?

Old 11-05-2016, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 563 times
alcohol-unit-calculator.co.uk? I used this website several times, it seems to be working good of course as a online calculator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom