Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 02:28 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,263,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
....People like Nicola Sturgeon are Political Pygmies, whose only ambition is to make a name for themselves.
Such a silly girl! The English dog is going to be wagging the Scottish tail for a long time to come.

Pygmies can be so damned bumptious at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 03:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't disagree and just point out the basics....follow the money. There are so many people getting rich or at least living well of the current system that they and their lobby will fight a Socialized Medicine system to the end. Obamacare sux because it never addressed the root of the problem...cost.
Yes....... this is what American friends tell me. They feel that the cost of American medicine is obscene, and should provide the best service in the world, for the amount of money going into it.

As you say, the system as it stands is benefiting certain businesses, and individuals. Lobbyists will fight tooth and nail to keep things just as they are. To just change the system to one that Americans feel is fair and just, would be a massive achievement for any American President.

I think President Trump will want to make his mark, if only in one memorable way. I don't know if he will be able to do it. But, he doesn't owe favours to anyone, and is a political novice. It will depend if he can find good advisers that he can trust. The people expect a 'draining of the swamp', and new faces, and ideas. He has a couple of years to achieve this.

I really want him to do this, because Americans have lost faith in the system as it stands, and are crying out for change. If Trump fails them, after so much hope and blind faith has been placed in him, what comes next could be calamitous.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Liam Fox has excellent contacts within the Republican Party,particularly Newt Gingrich.
Trump in the White House will strengthen the UK's hand in Brexit negotiations with the EU.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:44 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,120,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes....... this is what American friends tell me. They feel that the cost of American medicine is obscene, and should provide the best service in the world, for the amount of money going into it.

As you say, the system as it stands is benefiting certain businesses, and individuals. Lobbyists will fight tooth and nail to keep things just as they are. To just change the system to one that Americans feel is fair and just, would be a massive achievement for any American President.

I think President Trump will want to make his mark, if only in one memorable way. I don't know if he will be able to do it. But, he doesn't owe favours to anyone, and is a political novice. It will depend if he can find good advisers that he can trust. The people expect a 'draining of the swamp', and new faces, and ideas. He has a couple of years to achieve this.

I really want him to do this, because Americans have lost faith in the system as it stands, and are crying out for change. If Trump fails them, after so much hope and blind faith has been placed in him, what comes next could be calamitous.
Good post.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:03 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,339,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
True. At a hospital for an emergency. That's a good thing for citizens but not fair because too many illegals go and sit in the emergency room taking up space and wasting time when it's not even an emergency. An elderly American citizen should not have to wait four hours in an emergency room but that's how it is.

And an American citizen will have to PAY for that emergency treatment. The illegal just walks off and the hospital is stuck with the bill.

The main problem is not emergency treatment though. It's chronic illness like cancer. People used to just die because they didn't have health insurance and couldn't get treatment. There's heart disease and kidney disease--lots more--and these people won't get treated anymore because they won't have health insurance. Rich people will be able to afford to buy health insurance. But insurance for all--that's what's being taken away.

The US spends far more in health programs for the poor per capita that countries like Spain, about double. Spain's Social Security covers everybody, including illegals and is one of the best in Europe. In fact, illegals are not an excessive burden...plus we have unemployed...

Why the most powerful country in the earth can't have free medical coverage for all?

The answer is beyond democrats and republicans and lies in lobbies, rackets, corruption. AMA, Pharma lobbies, etc.

Here a Doctor in just a regular guy, not a millionaire.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:22 AM

30,846 posts, read 19,485,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
The US spends far more in health programs for the poor per capita that countries like Spain, about double. Spain's Social Security covers everybody, including illegals and is one of the best in Europe. In fact, illegals are not an excessive burden...plus we have unemployed...

Why the most powerful country in the earth can't have free medical coverage for all?

The answer is beyond democrats and republicans and lies in lobbies, rackets, corruption. AMA, Pharma lobbies, etc.

Because the doctors make gigantic sums, the lawyers sue and get huge damages which has resulted in ordering multiple tests that really might not be necessary, insurance passes all costs onto the consumer through rates so there is no cost control and finally we have a huge population of illegal immigrants who use the hospitals as you would a doctor or clinic and the hospitals are legally obliged to treat them which is a very expensive and inefficient mechanism for treatment and all the cost is passed on to the people with money.

I have property in Marbella, Spain so I thought about living in Spain full time but the extra taxes I would have to pay are too much for me in comparison to what I pay in the USA....so our system has good things in it as well. But I love Spain.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:38 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,062,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post

There is no such thing as free medical coverage. To quote PJ O'Rourke, "If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until it is free."

Truer words have never been written. If you've ever made the mistake of using a doctor who takes Medicaid patients, you will know exactly what it means. Those doctors are heroes for dealing with what they do.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 AM

11,969 posts, read 25,560,368 times
I was initially for Obamacare, viewing it as simply a mass expansion of Medicare for the poor. But several years later my insurance cost twice as much and the co pays have doubled. When I went to physical therapy for a back problem this summer simply stretching on a mat an using an exercise bike ended up cost more per hour than a brothel. There are parts of OC that is popular and Trump has already said he won't scrap the entire thing.

The core problem this elections was Democrats become tone deaf towards Americans complaining about economic stagnation and rising insurance cost. Once the phony unemployment rate hit 5% (real rate is 25%) Obama stopped focusing on economic issues, instead focusing on controversial social issues. It's been 7 years since he raised the minimum wage. The result was Hillary was promising everything Obama was supposed to already have done.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
There is no such thing as free medical coverage. To quote PJ O'Rourke, "If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until it is free."
As you say, nothing in the world is free. We fund the NHS through taxation, so everyone is covered for treatment. I'm not saying such a system would work in America. We don't have sparsely populated areas like America does. Plus there is the different mentality.

Our NHS has been with us since just after the Second World War, and we are proud of it, and hopefully, don't take it for granted. It was one of the biggest social advances of the 20th Century for my country.

But, many Americans are dissatisfied with the US medical system, and seem to feel they are not getting value for their hard earned money. Some seem quite happy with things just the way they are. Time will tell if things can be changed for the better for all US citizens. There seems to have been a lot of tinkering for decades, without really bringing improvement in coverage, just more, and more cost.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:07 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Such a silly girl! The English dog is going to be wagging the Scottish tail for a long time to come.

Pygmies can be so damned bumptious at times.
If the Scottish want to go then go, they do the vast majority of their trade with England, do very little trade with the EU in comparison, would have to adopt the Euro as a new member of the EU and would have hard border and border controls.

It's up to them, we don't get to vote, however having vote after vote after vote is nonsense, as for English matters there is a prospect of Scottish MP's being excluded from more and more matters involving England, so they are just reducing their own powers.

Scottish MPs react with fury as only English and Welsh MPs are allowed to vote on housing bill - Telegraph

The SNP's attitude to English votes for English laws is as hypocritical as it is tedious | Spectator

English vote plan to become law despite objections - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-12-2016 at 07:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom