Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:30 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,542,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I saw a snooty article on the BBC website not two years back sniffing at American backwardness for its failure to adopt diesel in passenger cars as compared to the larger percentage in Britain. Oh I wish I could email that journalist now.
I think our diesel emission laws for cars are too stringent (like 1/3 of the NOx allowed in Europe). We've tended to go towards hybrid vehicles as a result. Thing is we still have this massive heavy commercial truck fleet and they all use diesel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 07:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,662,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I think our diesel emission laws for cars are too stringent (like 1/3 of the NOx allowed in Europe). We've tended to go towards hybrid vehicles as a result. Thing is we still have this massive heavy commercial truck fleet and they all use diesel. :think:
Maybe not for much longer............Trying to copy Tesla...........Just unveiled a couple of weeks ago.............

Nikola One Fuel Cell Electric Truck Promises High Fuel Economy, Low Maintenance - News - TruckingInfo.com

https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/01/ni...-truck-debuts/

This may be a more realistic and sober analysis.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/02/nikol...tery-hydrogen/

Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Seven days to break the annual limit........
Quote:
European Union and British law states that no area should exceed hourly limits for nitrogen dioxide more than 18 times in one year. But a monitoring station in south London recorded 19 breaches of the cap in a single day.

It’s estimated that nearly 10,000 Londoners die prematurely every year as a result of air pollution.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.760795d6f718

Those 10,000 premature deaths make Chicago's 700 murders look respectable.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Seven days to break the annual limit........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.760795d6f718

Those 10,000 premature deaths make Chicago's 700 murders look respectable.
How many premature deaths in Chicago as a result of air pollution?

"The group tracked ground-level emissions from sources such as industrial smokestacks, vehicle tailpipes, marine and rail operations, and commercial and residential heating throughout the United States, and found that such air pollution causes about 200,000 early deaths each year. Emissions from road transportation are the most significant contributor, causing 53,000 premature deaths, followed closely by power generation, with 52,000."

Study: Air pollution causes 200,000 early deaths each year in the U.S. | MIT News

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
How many premature deaths in Chicago as a result of air pollution?

"The group tracked ground-level emissions from sources such as industrial smokestacks, vehicle tailpipes, marine and rail operations, and commercial and residential heating throughout the United States, and found that such air pollution causes about 200,000 early deaths each year. Emissions from road transportation are the most significant contributor, causing 53,000 premature deaths, followed closely by power generation, with 52,000."

Study: Air pollution causes 200,000 early deaths each year in the U.S. | MIT News
The WaPo piece says London air pollution is much worse than US, and your MIT piece confirms, per capita deaths from air pollution in London are almost double the US rate.

London = 10,000/8,500,000 = 0.117%

US = 200,000/320,000,000 = 0.0625%

Old 01-09-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
The WaPo piece says London air pollution is much worse than US, and your MIT piece confirms, per capita deaths from air pollution in London are almost double the US rate.

London = 10,000/8,500,000 = 0.117%

US = 200,000/320,000,000 = 0.0625%
But you are comparing the most densely populated area of the UK with the whole of the US. A more valid comparison would be London with New York or London with Chicago.

I could compare air pollution in Wester Ross with that of Washington DC but there would be no validity to such a comparison. The same would be true when comparing the whole of the UK to the whole of the US given that the UK is generally more densely populated.

Air pollution is a health problem in both countries and the more so in densely populated and industrial areas. However, I don't think that comparing deaths from that to murders is especially helpful.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 01-09-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But you are comparing the most densely populated area of the UK with the whole of the US. A more valid comparison would be London with New York or London with Chicago.

I could compare air pollution in Wester Ross with that of Washington DC but there would be no validity to such a comparison. The same would be true when comparing the whole of the UK to the whole of the US given that the UK is generally more densely populated.

Air pollution is a health problem in both countries and the more so in densely populated and industrial areas. However, I don't think that comparing deaths from that to murders is especially helpful.
Oh no you don't..........You were the one who made the comparison between London and the US, by citing the MIT piece...........not me.

Then when it comes back to bite you.......you try to shift responsibility onto me.

Believe it or not, whether in the UK or US, typically, few people die of air pollution in sparsely populated areas.

60% of the US population lives in the much smaller portion east of the Mississippi. When you reduce population and deaths to 60% you get the same 0.06% rate.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,606,462 times
London Pm 2.5 and Pm 10 are both considerably higher than in NYC (WHO and other records). Anyone who has lived in both cities (like me) can taste it in the air without being told that anyway.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh no you don't..........You were the one who made the comparison between London and the US, by citing the MIT piece...........not me.

Then when it comes back to bite you.......you try to shift responsibility onto me.

Believe it or not, whether in the UK or US, typically, few people die of air pollution in sparsely populated areas.

60% of the US population lives in the much smaller portion east of the Mississippi. When you reduce population and deaths to 60% you get the same 0.06% rate.
I quoted the MIT piece to demonstrate that the US has the same issue with air pollution. That piece specifically stated that pollution was worst in industrial areas such as the Chicago to Detroit area. So my comparison stands and did not come "back to bite me".

But I am glad we agree that the rates of deaths from air pollution are broadly the same which makes your remark about murders in Chicago rather redundant, at least from a UK perspective.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 PM

617 posts, read 542,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
London Pm 2.5 and Pm 10 are both considerably higher than in NYC (WHO and other records). Anyone who has lived in both cities (like me) can taste it in the air without being told that anyway.
I lived in both cities, albeit not too long. London overall feels far more cleaner (including air), and civilized, than the stinky dump called NYC, just no comparison.
You cannot rely on any US statistics they provide, Americans on average are very poorly educated, I doubt they can correctly measure anything, including Pm values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom