Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:59 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times

Advertisements

Today I heard...crackin' good. Lyme Regis was nice. We had great fish and chips right next to the beach. Now we're on the foggy Cornwall coast. Wish I could post a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Today I heard...crackin' good. Lyme Regis was nice. We had great fish and chips right next to the beach. Now we're on the foggy Cornwall coast. Wish I could post a picture.
Sounds like you've had a real good time here! You sure have been lucky with the weather. But, the rain is coming in by the weekend.......... you'll be going home though by then won't you!! Enjoy Cornwall, it's bloody nice down there!!.........

Old 01-30-2020, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,329 times
Default About that word "bloody" ...

I recall being told about sixty years ago that the word "bloody" was (as stated by another posting person whose name I didn't note, sorry!) WAS a "respectable" word for a while, then came to be considered crude or rude. I was also told that it was originally "By our Lady" in reference to the Virgin Mary, then, via regional pronunciation was "By owr Loidy", then elided* into "b'loidy" or "bloody." (Eliding is slurring letters, omitting letters, smooshing words together, etc.) Just a thought & a recollection.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:39 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,333,133 times
DD had a few words to her husband when their then two year old, when strapped into his car seat and while they were driving, came out with an emphatic, stupid bloody drivers!

Old 01-30-2020, 03:06 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
In Glasgow were more Jeezo hahaha.. Speilberg however is ..OH MY GOD in every movie.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:40 PM

13,729 posts, read 10,098,942 times
Nope.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:59 PM

239 posts, read 160,010 times
I've heard a few expressions of surprise, they sound like, "Far Canal", no idea why such an expression is used.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:55 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,296,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie from Dallas View Post
I recall being told about sixty years ago that the word "bloody" was (as stated by another posting person whose name I didn't note, sorry!) WAS a "respectable" word for a while, then came to be considered crude or rude. I was also told that it was originally "By our Lady" in reference to the Virgin Mary, then, via regional pronunciation was "By owr Loidy", then elided* into "b'loidy" or "bloody." (Eliding is slurring letters, omitting letters, smooshing words together, etc.) Just a thought & a recollection.

Sort of like "God's wounds" transmutating into "zounds".

Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Sounds like you've had a real good time here! You sure have been lucky with the weather. But, the rain is coming in by the weekend.......... you'll be going home though by then won't you!! Enjoy Cornwall, it's bloody nice down there!!.........
I didn't see that post from three years ago. The weather was bloody gorgeous, sunny, balmy and complete with daffodils everywhere--in the month of MARCH. Towards the end we headed from Cornwall to London to visit an old friend and it started to get a little bit gray and wasn't as warm. But back where I live they were having a bloody BLIZZARD with a foot of snow!

BTW, if there's any tourist who wants to stay near London and not pay a fortune, I recommend the Ibis hotels for economy. The rooms are tiny, like being on a ship, but they are cleverly designed and very clean. Bloody 'ell, good enough for us!

Old 02-16-2020, 04:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,677,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I didn't see that post from three years ago. The weather was bloody gorgeous, sunny, balmy and complete with daffodils everywhere--in the month of MARCH. Towards the end we headed from Cornwall to London to visit an old friend and it started to get a little bit gray and wasn't as warm. But back where I live they were having a bloody BLIZZARD with a foot of snow!

BTW, if there's any tourist who wants to stay near London and not pay a fortune, I recommend the Ibis hotels for economy. The rooms are tiny, like being on a ship, but they are cleverly designed and very clean. Bloody 'ell, good enough for us!
The magnolia tree in my neighbour’s garden is already budding, plus the crocuses and daffodils are out. The weather’s been a bit rubbish recently with all the wind and rain but still very mild.

We’re not renowned for nice weather by any means but spring definitely seems to start earlier than it used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom