Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:58 PM

1,529 posts, read 917,984 times

Advertisements

It is rather low class, is it not? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM

4,098 posts, read 3,738,799 times
Not really Posh toffs say it as well.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,492,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
It is rather low class, is it not? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I'm somewhere in between. Slap bang middle class.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,880,413 times
Brit in the US, been here forever. Originally from "Up North". I rarely use it except when someone does something ridiculously stupid at work and then I go into my office and mutter so no one can hear "bloody stupid swine!" Or I use "Silly sod" if I'm feeling magnanimous, LOL!!

I am not an "F" word user. I was in the UK last summer and my ears were constantly assaulted by it's overuse

Old 02-25-2017, 06:11 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,121,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Bloody 'ell......... I dunno Zola......... It isn't used like when I was a kid. Every adult used such language. 'Bugger off' or 'you cheeky bugger' were other popular sayings. Never hear it anymore. The eff word has taken over, and is the most popular swear word used today in England, as far as I can see.

I used to swear like a trooper when I was well, a trooper......... I don't use swear words much any more except under my breath when something goes wrong, like dropping ice cubes on the kitchen floor while making drinkies........
I do utter "sod off!" quite a lot. But regrettably despite my demure and/or angelic, elfin looks (ha!) I do swear like a sergeant-major sometimes (If you've seen "Full Metal Jacket", you'll know what I mean!)

And being of South African origin, I do sometimes utter a bit of Afrikaans at people (usually at other drivers) - but obviously being the "lady" that I am (as well fearing a mod jumping all over me, lol) I will refrain from repeating any here

But I don't think even they have anything similar to "Bloody Hell".

Old 02-25-2017, 06:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,121,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
They certainly say "Bagger orf!"

Old 02-25-2017, 06:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,443,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
I do utter "sod off!" quite a lot. But regrettably despite my demure and/or angelic, elfin looks (ha!) I do swear like a sergeant-major sometimes (If you've seen "Full Metal Jacket", you'll know what I mean!)

And being of South African origin, I do sometimes utter a bit of Afrikaans at people (usually at other drivers) - but obviously being the "lady" that I am (as well fearing a mod jumping all over me, lol) I will refrain from repeating any here

But I don't think even they have anything similar to "Bloody Hell".
Judy was taught a few choice swear words in Greek by a bar owner friend. She used them when cut up by a Greek driver...........

Old 02-25-2017, 01:11 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times
Living proof that the young 'uns use it too. Just got a message from dil in Lancashire--"Bloody Hell that's cold."

I don't get it either because I'm telling her it is 69 F here today, breaking all previous records! That translates into about 20 C I think. (not good at numbers, lol.) 20 C in WINTER IS HOT in the USA unless you live in some place like Florida.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,696 times
Not really, no.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,550,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Like in british movies/tv you can often hear them say "Bloody hell!!" Is that a real common thing? Do you use other terms with bloody?
Well oddly enough on here I bloody well do!!!

It's very common mate..... We have better and more frequently used ones but they would be censored on CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom