Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSwain View Post
Don't know if you've been to England before, but you're going to love it, you may find weather a bit different this time of year though.

Have a good holiday...
Thank you for your kind wishes. Yes, I've been to England, mostly Yorkshire. But in Sept. 2015 we landed in Manchester and drove to London and then out to Cornwall. I had never seen the west country. Loved it, love England. Weather over here is dismal and sub freezing so I've been saying even if I could just see a daffodil--in the rain--in the wind--then I will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
in_newengland~~~ Have fun - I am so jealous. I've been there once (London, Isle of Wight) but have always felt that England was the country and so wanted to see Cornwall and other places but the person I was with had other ideas.

Enjoy your time - behave

Old 03-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
in_newengland~~~ Have fun - I am so jealous. I've been there once (London, Isle of Wight) but have always felt that England was the country and so wanted to see Cornwall and other places but the person I was with had other ideas.

Enjoy your time - behave
Thanks, I'll be good. Here's a bit of Cornwall for you--this was Sept and it won't be sunny and warm this time but still, great food and a few more things on my bucket list:

Oh--and BLOODY HELL! Tomorrow!

Old 03-05-2017, 08:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Oh bloody 'ell - what a picture

Old 03-05-2017, 10:34 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you for your kind wishes. Yes, I've been to England, mostly Yorkshire. But in Sept. 2015 we landed in Manchester and drove to London and then out to Cornwall. I had never seen the west country. Loved it, love England. Weather over here is dismal and sub freezing so I've been saying even if I could just see a daffodil--in the rain--in the wind--then I will be happy.
Have a great time while here! The weather isn't bad, not very cold at the moment. The daffodils are in the shops, but I didn't notice any while we drove over to the town of Bury the other day. They line the road for quite a stretch while they are in bloom. It's only just gone 5.30am, but I can hear the birds chirping quietly outside in the trees. I think it's going to be a nice day!!........

Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 AM

36 posts, read 24,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks, I'll be good. Here's a bit of Cornwall for you--this was Sept and it won't be sunny and warm this time but still, great food and a few more things on my bucket list:

Oh--and BLOODY HELL! Tomorrow!
I've been to Cornwall, great country side, I was there during a summer and it was hot.

Cornwall pride themselves on trying to keep the old style villages and buildings, as does a lot of towns in Britain, but Cornwall is exceptional in regards to it's old villages etc.

Don't know how long you're going to be over here, but if you have time, try and get the old man to drive you up through Wales, or visit the Lake district or the Cotswolds.

I'm presuming cos you've been here in Yorkshire before you paid a visit to the Yorkshire moors and Yorkshire Dales, again, very old villages, farms and buildings, if you didn't, you're missing out; stick ya boot up ya old mans arse,lol.

If you haven't done it, type in "pictures of Cornwall England" it'll give you a great idea on what to expect and see.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:03 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
Cornwall - best cream teams in the land; along with scrummy Cornish Pasties, and Cornish ice cream!!

Old 03-06-2017, 10:38 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Yes, for once a stereotype about Britain is true.

I'm not saying tht everyonme uses it, but a lot of people do. It's a socially acceptable way of saying "f***ing hell".

Old 03-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSwain View Post
I've been to Cornwall, great country side, I was there during a summer and it was hot.

Cornwall pride themselves on trying to keep the old style villages and buildings, as does a lot of towns in Britain, but Cornwall is exceptional in regards to it's old villages etc.

Don't know how long you're going to be over here, but if you have time, try and get the old man to drive you up through Wales, or visit the Lake district or the Cotswolds.

I'm presuming cos you've been here in Yorkshire before you paid a visit to the Yorkshire moors and Yorkshire Dales, again, very old villages, farms and buildings, if you didn't, you're missing out; stick ya boot up ya old mans arse,lol.

If you haven't done it, type in "pictures of Cornwall England" it'll give you a great idea on what to expect and see.

In Cornwall in Sept 2015, I almost caused an accident--saw a sign that said Ancient Mariner--Home of Samuel Taylor Coleridge!!! Hubby had to put the car into reverse. Place was closed but this time we're going when it's OPEN. Great pubs in Cornwall too and nice old fashioned places to stay. It's well preserved, as you said--of course hubby thinks it's spoiled because he remembers it way back when.

I've visited the Lake District--loved that too. Wordsworth's Cottage--to die for! Dales=love and especially Skipton with its castle. Been to the national park--north moors and out to Whitby one time. York Minster too. Favorite place in all of Yorkshire is Shibden Hall. There may be a genealogical connection to it, maybe that's why it draws me back.

Distant cousin in the Cotswolds so I've been lucky enough to have been there too. WOW, so pretty.

But Cornwall may have the best climate in the country. I don't know, but any place that has palm trees, seashore with turquoise waters, is not sweltering hot and muggy in summer and not piled with ice and snow in winter cannot be that bad a climate.

Bloody 'ell, suitcases are packed, awaiting taxi to train to airport...and getting ready to say Bloody HELL in the land in which such a great saying originated! Maybe I'll say it all the way over the on the plane for practice.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:31 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
My dad has a penchant for saying "Bleedin' Hell" rather than "Bloody Hell". But I think they mean the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom