Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,130,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In Cornwall in Sept 2015, I almost caused an accident--saw a sign that said Ancient Mariner--Home of Samuel Taylor Coleridge!!! Hubby had to put the car into reverse. Place was closed but this time we're going when it's OPEN. Great pubs in Cornwall too and nice old fashioned places to stay. It's well preserved, as you said--of course hubby thinks it's spoiled because he remembers it way back when.

I've visited the Lake District--loved that too. Wordsworth's Cottage--to die for! Dales=love and especially Skipton with its castle. Been to the national park--north moors and out to Whitby one time. York Minster too. Favorite place in all of Yorkshire is Shibden Hall. There may be a genealogical connection to it, maybe that's why it draws me back.

Distant cousin in the Cotswolds so I've been lucky enough to have been there too. WOW, so pretty.

But Cornwall may have the best climate in the country. I don't know, but any place that has palm trees, seashore with turquoise waters, is not sweltering hot and muggy in summer and not piled with ice and snow in winter cannot be that bad a climate.

Bloody 'ell, suitcases are packed, awaiting taxi to train to airport...and getting ready to say Bloody HELL in the land in which such a great saying originated! Maybe I'll say it all the way over the on the plane for practice.
Have a safe trip; and I think the weather here is going to be fairly mild over the next few days.

And don't forget: we drive on the correct side of the road, ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,945,266 times
Quote:
In Cornwall in Sept 2015, I almost caused an accident--saw a sign that said Ancient Mariner--Home of Samuel Taylor Coleridge!!! Hubby had to put the car into reverse. Place was closed but this time we're going when it's OPEN. Great pubs in Cornwall too and nice old fashioned places to stay. It's well preserved, as you said--of course hubby thinks it's spoiled because he remembers it way back when.

I've visited the Lake District--loved that too. Wordsworth's Cottage--to die for! Dales=love and especially Skipton with its castle. Been to the national park--north moors and out to Whitby one time. York Minster too. Favorite place in all of Yorkshire is Shibden Hall. There may be a genealogical connection to it, maybe that's why it draws me back.

Distant cousin in the Cotswolds so I've been lucky enough to have been there too. WOW, so pretty.

But Cornwall may have the best climate in the country. I don't know, but any place that has palm trees, seashore with turquoise waters, is not sweltering hot and muggy in summer and not piled with ice and snow in winter cannot be that bad a climate.

Bloody 'ell, suitcases are packed, awaiting taxi to train to airport...and getting ready to say Bloody HELL in the land in which such a great saying originated! Maybe I'll say it all the way over the on the plane for practice.
That's a misconception. It just has the warmest winters, which is why the palm trees can grow. There's other places in Southern England with better climates IMHO.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
That's a misconception. It just has the warmest winters, which is why the palm trees can grow. There's other places in Southern England with better climates IMHO.
There probably is: but nothing quite beats Cornwall, especially St Ives

Old 03-06-2017, 11:40 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
My dad has a penchant for saying "Bleedin' Hell" rather than "Bloody Hell". But I think they mean the same thing.
T think that's a southern English version of 'Bloody Hell' Zola. I knew a few London guys who used that term when I was in the army back in the 70s.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 AM

Try driving up to North Wales, we have lots of mountains and medieval castles!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:

Just relax, and enjoy the plane journey sweedie. Hope you have a great time while here!!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
There probably is: but nothing quite beats Cornwall, especially St Ives
I'm not denying that, it's a lovely part of the world.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:24 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Try driving up to North Wales, we have lots of mountains and medieval castl
Been to N. Wales and it was pretty but I missed those castles. Thank you for those amazing pictures.

You people seem to have great year round climates down south. Our Down South is Florida and it's Bloody 'orrible in their long, suffocating summers, May to October. (Complete with herds of mosquitoes.) which you called mozzies? Poisonous snakes and man eating alligators too. No thanks. and nearly zero sense of history.

Putting St. Ives on my list. Lyme Regis, Dorset is on the list because when we were there in late summer the place was heaving. We couldn't even get out of the car. I'm getting knackered thinking about all this. Hubby drives on the correct side of the road--he comes from there. I simply sit there and scream. (about the beautiful countryside, lol.)

I'll be listening carefully for "Bloody Hell" and maybe some other, less popular expressions. I have a little book in which I write expressions that I hear. It started first time I went to Lancashire--couldn't understand a word of that language.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:30 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
and here is a prime example of an instance requiring "Bloody Hell" and needing a smart phone to get out. A Yorkshire moor at 10 at night. (It stays light and I lightened the picture a bit.) Lost, just north of Huddersfield. Nice, in retrospect, but hubby wanted to spend the night crossing those endless moors to find a place to sleep? Bloody HELL! Turn the car around and go back!

Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
and here is a prime example of an instance requiring "Bloody Hell" and needing a smart phone to get out. A Yorkshire moor at 10 at night. (It stays light and I lightened the picture a bit.) Lost, just north of Huddersfield. Nice, in retrospect, but hubby wanted to spend the night crossing those endless moors to find a place to sleep? Bloody HELL! Turn the car around and go back!
Bloody hell! Aren't you on the bleedin' plane yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom