Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Harry and Meghan's engagement?
Good choice. I wish them every happiness. 15 55.56%
What is he thinking? She's a shallow Hollywood type. 7 25.93%
I wish them well, but am not holding my breath. 5 18.52%
Diana would have steered him clear of this bounder. 2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times

Advertisements

Just saw the news. Daily Mail gushing that Meghan Markle is a major TV star in the US - not! Never heard of her until her involvement with Harry.

She is a divorcée - echoes of Mrs. Simpson? - and raised Catholic does this mean Harry has to give up his line of possible ascension to the throne?

What do the British people think of the whole engagement or how are others near you responding?

A true romance with a suitable partner or a disaster in the making? Or you tell us.

Anonymous, multiple choice poll included.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Another couple got engaged, just like all the other 4 gazillion couples who got engaged.
They are as unique as everyone else.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I hadn't heard the news. Seems that we in the US are more interested in this than the Brits. I knew he was mad about some movie/tv star and he has been telling the press to lay off. I'm not a fan of Hollywood stars as they usually are phony and shallow. I have never heard of her but I haven't heard of most of them.

He must see something in her. Maybe somehow she reminds him of his mother? I don't know why she'd want to give up her freedom and her career for a lifetime of public duties and always being scrutinized for her public behavior. Maybe they're simply in love. He seems so wild though. Can he settle on one person for life?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:34 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
I worry about her degree of celebrity and that she might be shallow and unworthy of marrying into royalty.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I worry about her degree of celebrity and that she might be shallow and unworthy of marrying into royalty.
I just broke the news to my dh who is English and he said, "Who the bloody hell cares?" ...they should get jobs like everyone else and work for a living instead of living off the taxpayers' money.

But I've always been a royal watcher and always wished we could see more of it.

As for what the OP said about this resembling the messy scandal with King Edward and "that woman", no, nothing like that. Harry will never be king anyway. And "that woman" was vile. They had a somewhat bizarre, sick relationship, from what I've read.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:32 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,513,412 times
Some of her former partners stand to earn a fortune if they cash in on a kiss and tell.
And she does look like she been round the block a time or two.
I dunno,I wish them well but you wonder whether Harry was just keen to get a move on with his older brother already onto his third kid.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just broke the news to my dh who is English and he said, "Who the bloody hell cares?" ...they should get jobs like everyone else and work for a living instead of living off the taxpayers' money.

But I've always been a royal watcher and always wished we could see more of it.

As for what the OP said about this resembling the messy scandal with King Edward and "that woman", no, nothing like that. Harry will never be king anyway. And "that woman" was vile. They had a somewhat bizarre, sick relationship, from what I've read.
I approve of your SO statement.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:49 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
She is a divorcée - echoes of Mrs. Simpson? - and raised Catholic does this mean Harry has to give up his line of possible ascension to the throne?
Did I just wake up in 1956?

This is the business of two people, and their names are Meghan Markle and Harry Windsor.

You can return to your fishmongering now.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:14 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
This woman has no business marrying into the Royal Family. Is there a dearth of qualified European and Commonwealth aristocrats? I think we are witnessing the apex of the Kardashianisation of the Royal Family.

I think the behavior of the Royal Family aside from Queen Elizabeth II, and to a certain extent Prince William, is troubling. I think that the prospect of Prince Charles, a divorced adulterer, married to a divorced woman, becoming head of the Church of England is extremely troubling.

I realize that the Church of England was founded in part because of the nonsense surrounding King Henry VIII's marriage, but the decline of the moral authority of the future 'Defenders of the Faith' is extremely disheartening for church watchers. The Church of England is becoming more of a joke by the day, and that is in no small part due to the behavior of the Royal Family. They are not living up to their responsibilities of representing Christian values.

I am also very alarmed at the Queen's apparently blasé attitude towards her grandson's marriage to a divorced woman, a woman of little pedigree and a tabloid personality. This is the same woman who refused her sister's marriage to Peter Townsend. This is the same woman who apprehensively approved her son's marriage to Camilla. The whole thing is a train wreck. Incidents like this remind me of the virtues of republican values and my revolutionary forefathers. It also has me thankful that I am not Episcopalian/Anglican like much of my family.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This woman has no business marrying into the Royal Family. Is there a dearth of qualified European and Commonwealth aristocrats? I think we are witnessing the apex of the Kardashianisation of the Royal Family.

I think the behavior of the Royal Family aside from Queen Elizabeth II, and to a certain extent Prince William, is troubling. I think that the prospect of Prince Charles, a divorced adulterer, married to a divorced woman, becoming head of the Church of England is extremely troubling.

I realize that the Church of England was founded in part because of the nonsense surrounding King Henry VIII's marriage, but the decline of the moral authority of the future 'Defenders of the Faith' is extremely disheartening for church watchers. The Church of England is becoming more of a joke by the day, and that is in no small part due to the behavior of the Royal Family. They are not living up to their responsibilities of representing Christian values.

I am also very alarmed at the Queen's apparently blasé attitude towards her grandson's marriage to a divorced woman, a woman of little pedigree and a tabloid personality. This is the same woman who refused her sister's marriage to Peter Townsend. This is the same woman who apprehensively approved her son's marriage to Camilla. The whole thing is a train wreck. Incidents like this remind me of the virtues of republican values and my revolutionary forefathers. It also has me thankful that I am not Episcopalian/Anglican like much of my family.
You forgot to mention mixed-race. I'm sure you're thinking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom