Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Porridge View Post
So just in case anybody's not following you –*you want to agree with me that NK currently has a minimal record of military aggression in comparison to most nuclear states?
Have you wondered why? Think about it a moment, the (obvious to most) answer might just jump out at you.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM

30 posts, read 31,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Have you wondered why? Think about it a moment, the (obvious to most) answer might just jump out at you.
OK, thank you for acknowledging that North Korea, while undoubtedly a horrid place, is has committed much less aggression on the world stage than most of the major powers.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
OK, thank you for acknowledging that North Korea, while undoubtedly a horrid place, is has committed much less aggression on the world stage than most of the major powers.
Hey Roger irrelevant, has/Did that's not the point I am making and you know it. The point is the US for all of its flaws is not a country hell bent on conquering, the same can be said of the other nuclear powers, and lets face it, if you are a nuclear power and you wanted to you could. North Korea on the other hand have not had the power to conquer, if they get nuclear power would you 'trust' them more than the UK, US, France, Russia etc? I bloody wouldn't.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Hey Roger irrelevant, has/Did that's not the point I am making
Here's the point you made, that I responded to:

Quote:
It depends on your 'agenda' and how much of a lunatic you are. It certainly means that countries with nuclear warheads have the power to defend themselves against 'any' foe, in my book that's a 'superpower', lets all be thankful that the superpowers (those with nuclear warhead capabilities) are all pretty 'benign' countries NOT hell bent on 'invade and conquer' (N. Korea on the other hand....).
You have said that Britain, France, Russia, China, and the US are 'benign' –*though they've invaded hundreds of territories between them.

Either justify this, or stop typing.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM

96 posts, read 78,426 times
I see the point Mr Porridge is making. I think a more important way of looking at it in a nuclear context is that NK is the only nuclear-armed state that is, in no uncertain terms, regularly threatening to use its nuclear weapons to wipe out other countries. It may just be rhetoric, but in the Mexican standoff that is nuclear diplomacy, it is very dangerous.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
I see the point Mr Porridge is making. I think a more important way of looking at it in a nuclear context is that NK is the only nuclear-armed state that is, in no uncertain terms, regularly threatening to use its nuclear weapons to wipe out other countries. It may just be rhetoric, but in the Mexican standoff that is nuclear diplomacy, it is very dangerous.
Well, all nuclear states have to be ready to use their nukes to wipe out (or at least, inflict huge damage on) other countries – otherwise having nukes wouldn't be a deterrent against attack. *

The universal principle, though, is 'no first use'. As we know, the only country so far to have violated this principle is the US, and here is a whole other debate as to whether or not it was justified in doing so.

(It's worth being aware that NK sees its legitimacy as stemming from the relationship between its leaders, as well as the early leaders of South Korea, had with the Japanese occupiers who ruled all of Korea from 1910 to when the Japanese finally caved in in 1945. Kim Il Sung, while undoubtedly a brutal figure once he came to power, was also a leading figure in he resistance to Japanese occupation. Meanwhile, the leadership that was installed in the South, following the partition of the Korean Peninsular, was dominated by people who had collaborated with the Japanese).

Something I'm not sure about, and would be curious if anyone can clear up –*has NK threatened a 'first use' of its nuclear capability? Or have its threats been about what would happen if it were invaded?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Here's the point you made, that I responded to:

You have said that Britain, France, Russia, China, and the US are 'benign' –*though they've invaded hundreds of territories between them.

Either justify this, or stop typing.
They are - or else the US would be invading Mexico, the UK or France would be invading Spain and China would be invading Japan, the point is the nuclear powers have NOT used their nuclear arsenal to invade their neighbours, could the same be said of North Korea? Are you confident they won't use their nuclear capabilities (if/when they get it) to invade South Korea? Unlike you, I am not so sure, they are no where near as benign as the nuclear powers that have existed before them. If you STILL fail to understand, then I am at a loss!

Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
This EXACTLY, but try getting this across to Mr Porridge, because he is having difficulty in grasping what I am saying.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
This EXACTLY, but try getting this across to Mr Porridge, because he is having difficulty in grasping what I am saying.
The problem you have is that you made a claim you can't support. If I go to the local school and murder several children, I can't claim to be innocent just because I haven't also torched my neighbour's house.

I've never said that NK is an innocent or even a nice country. I have said that it has a minimal record of overseas aggression in comparison to the major powers. I still challenge you to deny that.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,291,099 times
Mod Note:

Thread has nothing to do with North Korea and the US. Go open a discussion in Asia or P&OC forums if you wish to discuss further.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom