Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,816,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Charles is only 69 years old. He is more than likely to live for more than 20 years.

Prince William was born on 21 June 1982 (age 35). My personal feeling is that Charles should abdicate on 21 June 2032 when William is age 50 even if Charles has only been the monarch for a few years.

I know that British monarch historically serves until death, but in the 21st century the British people deserve monarchs who don't start their reign as old people.

William should abdicate on 22 July 2063 when Prince George is age 50.
Those abdications would probably require specific acts of Parliament just like it did in 1936.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:09 AM

18,629 posts, read 18,910,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Those abdications would probably require specific acts of Parliament just like it did in 1936.
They dont abdicate for these kind or reasons ...

Old 04-26-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Charles is an idiot. He also has a strong sense of entitlement, involving himself in planning processes, and using his influence to sway things his way. Totally outside his remit.
Im glad its changed..his ideas for the environment is wonderful , I agree with him on everything especially the horrible housing and building they shove up now in cities spoiling it forever..

Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,871,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im glad its changed..his ideas for the environment is wonderful , I agree with him on everything especially the horrible housing and building they shove up now in cities spoiling it forever..
Could not agree more. Since he isn't allowed to hold a real job, at least he put himself to good use preserving decent architecture and maintaining the environment. Those greedy developers who put up those ugly cheap buildings don't care that the rest of the people have to look at them. They only care for money.

I don't even mind that he talks to plants! Fine with me. At least he takes an interest and he grows organic vegetables. Sets a good example that way. Oh--if they don't want him over there, can we have him? Lately we need someone like him more than ever.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Could not agree more. Since he isn't allowed to hold a real job, at least he put himself to good use preserving decent architecture and maintaining the environment. Those greedy developers who put up those ugly cheap buildings don't care that the rest of the people have to look at them. They only care for money.

I don't even mind that he talks to plants! Fine with me. At least he takes an interest and he grows organic vegetables. Sets a good example that way. Oh--if they don't want him over there, can we have him? Lately we need someone like him more than ever.
hahahah Im in touch with Charles Ill enquire for you pal haha.. He has tried to help me over many years with the illness I have that is ignored by our NHS .. He tried to get me into an alternative hospital in London as he was patron..so to me hes wonderful and caring..

Old 04-27-2018, 06:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,467,084 times
Charles had his nose put out of joint by Diana. From being the popular Prince, everybody wanted to speak to at walkabouts, he became "oh we've got 'IM on our side of the road." That must have been hard to take.

I guess he was leaned on to get married, to provide an heir. Diana was selected as good breeding stock, and Charles must have felt he could do the business, provide an heir and spare, and then get back to his real life.

He probably thought he could just live his life as his father had done, and his wife could get on with hers. Lots of charity work, and that kind of thing. Come together for social events, and Royal occasions.

The problem he had, was that Diana was highly strung, and loved him. He hurt her deeply, and Charles obviously wasn't really interested in her. She was a lot younger than him, and had a more modern outlook.

The affairs started on both sides, and eventually led to great misery. He didn't know how to deal with her, and Diana was sidelined. At least the Royals tried to do so. She was too savvy , and ran rings round them all, making them look very foolish, and uncaring.

The marriage came to a tortuous end, and Diana started to go off the rails. At the same time, her public adored her. It became a soap opera, with Charles as the bad guy. He didn't seem to know what to do. Suddenly, Diana was dead, and all hell broke loose.

Charles was despised by much of the nation, and blamed for Diana's death. He has spent many years trying to recover from this disaster, and with the passage of time, has succeeded to an extent. Camilla isn't popular, but she is the one he originally wanted, and he's stuck with her now, in old age. Let's hope she has brought him some happiness.

He will be an elderly King, and that isn't something which will interest the nation much. But this indifference is probably for the best in his case. William may have to wait a while to take over, but not as long as his father.

At the bottom of him, Charles isn't a bad man. Circumstances led him into a nightmare marriage, and with the passing years, I guess the majority of the public have forgiven him. But he will be a King with subjects not caring for him much one way or the other.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Charles had his nose put out of joint by Diana. From being the popular Prince, everybody wanted to speak to at walkabouts, he became "oh we've got 'IM on our side of the road." That must have been hard to take.

I guess he was leaned on to get married, to provide an heir. Diana was selected as good breeding stock, and Charles must have felt he could do the business, provide an heir and spare, and then get back to his real life.

He probably thought he could just live his life as his father had done, and his wife could get on with hers. Lots of charity work, and that kind of thing. Come together for social events, and Royal occasions.

The problem he had, was that Diana was highly strung, and loved him. He hurt her deeply, and Charles obviously wasn't really interested in her. She was a lot younger than him, and had a more modern outlook.

The affairs started on both sides, and eventually led to great misery. He didn't know how to deal with her, and Diana was sidelined. At least the Royals tried to do so. She was too savvy , and ran rings round them all, making them look very foolish, and uncaring.

The marriage came to a tortuous end, and Diana started to go off the rails. At the same time, her public adored her. It became a soap opera, with Charles as the bad guy. He didn't seem to know what to do. Suddenly, Diana was dead, and all hell broke loose.

Charles was despised by much of the nation, and blamed for Diana's death. He has spent many years trying to recover from this disaster, and with the passage of time, has succeeded to an extent. Camilla isn't popular, but she is the one he originally wanted, and he's stuck with her now, in old age. Let's hope she has brought him some happiness.

He will be an elderly King, and that isn't something which will interest the nation much. But this indifference is probably for the best in his case. William may have to wait a while to take over, but not as long as his father.

At the bottom of him, Charles isn't a bad man. Circumstances led him into a nightmare marriage, and with the passing years, I guess the majority of the public have forgiven him. But he will be a King with subjects not caring for him much one way or the other.
Smashing post Dave you said it all so well....

Old 04-27-2018, 06:49 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,132,172 times
Quote:

Great summary, Dave

Personally, I can't stand him and detest him beyond all measure. But then again I won't living here in England for much longer, so I won't much care what he does.

Although if he does become King I hope he does the dutiful thing and abdicate after a year or two, and let William take the mantel, so he can bugger off and talk to his plants with his old battleaxe Camilla.

We want some fresh contemporary blood on the throne that will make the monarchy a little more appealing to us irritating Millennials amongst others.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:21 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,871,666 times
Quote:

Excellent summary. Also, Diana was psychologically broken due to her parents' divorce and she was always looking to please people. She never got over that, never feeling that she was good enough somehow. She was a good mother--she'd had practice being like a mother to her younger brother--but not a very good wife. Too demanding and unrealistic, considering the circumstances, too needy for love that she never got from her parents. She had never seen a loving marriage (had Charles ever seen a loving marriage though?) Doomed in advance.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:32 PM

1,109 posts, read 903,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m going in a few weeks, so I’ll ask. My opinion is that tradition trumps everything, and unless Charles dies young, which isnt likely, William will not be king for 20 years.
News flash...Charles is not young.
He could conceivably die before his mother....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom