Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2022, 04:07 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I made a cottage pie yesterday, much nicer dish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
absolutely, thats my favourite meal.
It’s one of my favourite meals too. Although I think I prefer Shepherd’s Pie, as it tastes nicer made with lamb, I reckon.

Quote:
Sounds nice , my Mrs doesn't like carrot so I leave that out, just 500g mince, chopped onion, 2 x garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, peas, beef stock, a spoonful of Bovril (gives the sauce a nice beefy flavour), Worcestershire Sauce (plenty of Worcestershire sauce) & chedder cheese on the mashed potato, I use a tablespoon of both osamary and Thyme (I don't scrimp on the herbs to give it a nice full flavour.
That’s quite similar to how I make it, although I would leave out the carrots, peas and garlic as I don’t like any of them. You could try dicing up a courgette instead of using carrots.

Yes, it’s good to add lots of Worcestershire Sauce - it’s great stuff. But I would be using Oxo instead of Bovril. I’d also use lots of grated Cheddar on the mash. That might make it more of a Cumberland Pie than a Cottage Pie though…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 02:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I've decided to make a nice big traditional British Trifle for Christmas dinner dessert. I'll use Bird's Custard. One of the best British foods.

Old 12-15-2022, 05:03 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Sounds nice , my Mrs doesn't like carrot so I leave that out, just 500g mince, chopped onion, 2 x garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, peas, beef stock, a spoonful of Bovril (gives the sauce a nice beefy flavour), Worcestershire Sauce (plenty of Worcestershire sauce) & chedder cheese on the mashed potato, I use a tablespoon of both osamary and Thyme (I don't scrimp on the herbs to give it a nice full flavour.
The colonies use corn. Absolutely not!

I tend to use rosemary with lamb but not beef. I’m “more is better” with herbs but I had a disaster with a beef stew once and made pine tree stew. It’s possible to use too much rosemary. LOL

The demi glace stock base I use does the same thing as your Bovril. I want big flavor.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Going to Costco tomorrow.
Wonder if any one has tried this cheese before?

Somerdale Champagne Cheddar
https://cocowest.ca/item/5004640

This is the first time I have seen it on sale here.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:29 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Going to Costco tomorrow.
Wonder if any one has tried this cheese before?

Somerdale Champagne Cheddar
https://cocowest.ca/item/5004640

This is the first time I have seen it on sale here.
where does that originate from?
the only real cheddar cheese is made in Somerset, England, anything else is just a cheddar type cheese.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:47 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
where does that originate from?
the only real cheddar cheese is made in Somerset, England, anything else is just a cheddar type cheese.
The box says product of United Kingdom.
Their website says they are located in Somerset.
https://somerdale.com/product/somerd...pagne-cheddar/

Oh so these are real Somerset cheddar cheese.
I am thinking of picking up a few today.
Thanks, love.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:57 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
The box says product of United Kingdom.
Their website says they are located in Somerset.
https://somerdale.com/product/somerd...pagne-cheddar/

Oh so these are real Somerset cheddar cheese.
I am thinking of picking up a few today.
Thanks, love.
funny its says its suitable for vegetarians, I didnt think veggies ate dairy?
the original cheddar cheese had to come from Cheddar and be matured in Cheddar caves, but I dont suppose that applies any more.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:15 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
the original cheddar cheese had to come from Cheddar and be matured in Cheddar caves, but I dont suppose that applies any more.
Vegans don’t eat dairy. Vegetarians are more varied. Some eat dairy and eggs. Paneer is usually in the vegetarian menu at Indian restaurants. The most you know for certain is that they don’t eat animal flesh.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:52 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
You're thinking of vegans. Plenty of vegetarians eat dairy products. Cheese market suitable for vegetarians doesn't use rennet, taken from a calf's stomach during butchering, in the cheese making process.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
American cheese is a combination of Cheddar, and colby cheeses. Both which are from England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom