Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,628,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You may not like it, but yes, that is how things go; and have done so in England/GB for thousands of years.

That popular sitcom "Keeping Up Appearances" takes it's name from a very strong and prominent English/British custom or tradition if you will; whatever is going on in the background appearances in public must be kept up.

English marriages (where one or both partners are finding pleasure outside the marital bed) have been going on for centuries. Everyone knew who was fooling around with who, but couples otherwise remained married and performed duties in or towards society as required.

Great ladies hosted parties where their husband's bit of stuff was one of the guests, and everyone knew it; but there was no scandal or whatever. Queen Alexandra even sent for her husband's favorite mistress (Mrs. Keppel, the great grand-mother of Camilla Parker-Bowles) on HM's death bed.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...mi-keppel.html

Diana Spencer was a silly girl who grew into a foolish woman. She also had no end of very bad handlers and or advisors. Given her reaction to the divorce announcement (she became physically ill and (more) mentally unbalanced when hearing that bit of news from HM), it was clear she never intended for things to go that far.

Diana never wanted a divorce, but also (again) foolishly did not consider the ramifications of not only her behavior (forgetting her modesty and committing adultery), but going before the nation and publically humiliating not only her husband, but the RF and by extension the monarch as well.
I feel stupid. I didn't remember that the divorce was ordered. I thought she wanted it. As to the main topic, IDK if they would WANT to do a DNA test for fear of Harry not being PC son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
No one said PC was innocent, just that it wasn't he who aired dirty linen in public.

And yes, while it pains you and some others to hear it, Diana Spencer knew pretty much what she was getting (her family certainly did), and yet she *STILL* married PC. As the late Quentin Crisp famously said "she was Lady Diana Spencer, before she was Princess of Wales".

It was *NO* huge secret in certain circles that PC was carrying on with PBP. It was brought to HM's attention as well both in her roles as head of Windsor-Mountbatten family and the forces.

Will say so again; just because *YOU* and some others don't approve, it does not change facts on the ground. There are still things certain people must not do; no matter what was going on in the background there was zero justification for Diana's Panorama interview and the bombs she dropped.

It is only persons like yourself who worship at the martyrdom of Diana, Princess of Wales that see her as some blameless naïf who fell victim to evil. When the truth is quite the opposite in that Diana actively contributed to her own destruction.

By the time of that infamous interview Diana had gotten pretty much everything she wanted; the separation was going well with PC and the RF being rather quite generous. She was still The Princess of Wales and all that came with it, which included buckets of money and tons of freedom. However in an hour or so later the woman became known as a loose tart whose life work seemed to be bringing down the monarchy and destroying her husband.
You could also look at it in this way: she shattered barriers that needed shattering. In all the other threads, on the Royals, it is mentioned that everything is better for everyone since her death and the massive changes that occurred afterward.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 AM

18,547 posts, read 18,833,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You could also look at it in this way: she shattered barriers that needed shattering. In all the other threads, on the Royals, it is mentioned that everything is better for everyone since her death and the massive changes that occurred afterward.
OH she shook them up... no denying it... they had to make changes... but maybe she should have realized that she might have caused the downfall of the Royal family and that included her sons..

Old 05-28-2018, 03:52 AM

32,019 posts, read 27,204,448 times
Quote:
I feel stupid. I didn't remember that the divorce was ordered. I thought she wanted it. As to the main topic, IDK if they would WANT to do a DNA test for fear of Harry not being PC son.

Ohhh Yes! Decision was not Prince Charles nor Diana's to make; HM made it for them.

Queen Orders Charles, Diana to Divorce - latimes

By all accounts HM hit the roof when that Panorama interview went out with Diana airing loads of dirty royal laundry including her own treasonous behavior (serial adultery, wishing/wanting to interfere with the succession, and so much more). Worse she gave names! How daft could one silly woman have been?

Have said this before, and am doing so again it cannot be understated what Diana did and on live television. She launched a broadside attack not just on Prince Charles but HM and the entire monarchy, such a move cannot be let go unchallenged.

For her part when Diana got the news she became (IIRC) physically sick along with emotionally and mentally deranged (more so than was normal by then). Apparently she never thought things through before making that interview, and certainly didn't want to be divorced. Diana greatly feared (and later lamented) loss of royal status (the HRH), which made her a commoner (again). Worse she would then be required to curtsey not only to her own children, but every single member of the RF that once bowed to herself. HM was more forgiving on that count, but Prince Charles was not, and insisted the HRH be withdrawn. In the end both Diana and Sarah lost their royal status.

Getting Diana out of her family (legally) was the least of HM's options. In another time Hewitt et al would have been rounded up and tried. But no one likely wanted to give Diana that satisfaction. She and her supporters would have played it as yet another attack on poor defenseless Diana by her mean husband and his family.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Ohhh Yes! Decision was not Prince Charles nor Diana's to make; HM made it for them.

Queen Orders Charles, Diana to Divorce - latimes

By all accounts HM hit the roof when that Panorama interview went out with Diana airing loads of dirty royal laundry including her own treasonous behavior (serial adultery, wishing/wanting to interfere with the succession, and so much more). Worse she gave names! How daft could one silly woman have been?

What does the bolded mean? It's pretty incredible that I have read several books and watched documentaries and docu-dramas and yet there is always more.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:44 AM

32,019 posts, read 27,204,448 times
Quote:
What does the bolded mean? It's pretty incredible that I have read several books and watched documentaries and docu-dramas and yet there is always more.

Make of the words what you will:

"BASHIR: Do you think the Prince of Wales will ever be King?

DIANA: I don't think any of us know the answer to that. And obviously it's a question that's in everybody's head. But who knows, who knows what fate will produce, who knows what circumstances will provoke?

BASHIR: But you would know him better than most people. Do you think he would wish to be King?

DIANA: There was always conflict on that subject with him when we discussed it, and I understood that conflict, because it's a very demanding role, being Prince of Wales, but it's an equally more demanding role being King.
And being Prince of Wales produces more freedom now, and being King would be a little bit more suffocating. And because I know the character I would think that the top job, as I call it, would bring enormous limitations to him, and I don't know whether he could adapt to that.

BASHIR: Do you think it would make more sense in the light of the marital difficulties that you and the Prince of Wales have had if the position of monarch passed directly to your son Prince William?

DIANA: Well, then you have to see that William's very young at the moment, so do you want a burden like that to be put on his shoulders at such an age? So I can't answer that question.

BASHIR: Would it be your wish that when Prince William comes of age that he were to succeed the Queen rather than the current Prince of Wales?

DIANA: My wish is that my husband finds peace of mind, and from that follows others things, yes"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/po.../panorama.html

Old 05-28-2018, 05:47 AM

OK, well I wouldn't pretend to know her mind, but her words were chosen carefully, I think, to reflect that she is speaking of what is in the best interests of Charles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom