Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 01:05 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Except for the USA. The UK has not gained any benefit from TTIP talks that failed.

I'm rather afraid the undue powerful position of the USA will mean UK will not be treated as an equal. The pressure and expectation to secure a trade agreement with America may well mean UK interest are not fully fought for. Read the fine print as no doubt certain foreign owned UK tabloids will be claiming otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Yes, the UK will be in an unequal position in negotiating with the USA.

However, a window of opportunity may soon open up. Regarding US/China trade negotiation....these may go the way of TTIP. It is understood that the USA is in a position to "decouple" its economy from China, and switch to other countries for imports.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Thank goodness for Parliament. It is keeping the executive accountable. This is what British democracy is about. ( you vote for who you consider will represent you overall not on a single issue) The public have their say come election time. Those they give their vote to have the say (putting it crudely) the rest of the time.
And stopping the people from holding parliament accountable by denying an election in a hunh parliament with a minority government.

Recent polls have shown that 80% of the British public have lost faith in parliament, and many still haven't forgotten the 2010 parliamentary expenses scandal when MP's from all sides of the chamber were either disciplined or sent to prison for fraudulent expenses claims. Even today 377 MP's have had their parliamentary expenses credit cards withdrawn due to misuse, and this includes many front bench members such as Jeremy Corbyn, Tom Watson and even the current PM Boris Johnson. Indeed politicians and parliament are looked at with disdain by the British public, and the Brexit mess has only further damage the integrity of parliament and the loathsome creatures from all sides that sit in it even further.

Expenses watchdog hushed up revelation 377 MPs had credit card suspended - The Guardian (2019)

United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal - Wikipedia

As for the courts, the High Court in London and the Court of Session in Edinburgh have made different decisions regarding the prorogation of Parliament, and the issue will now be settled next week by the constitutional experts who sit in the UK Supreme Court.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-12-2019 at 03:49 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 04:53 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
You know all that guff about the Port of Dover grinding to a halt in the event of a No-Deal Brexit ?
Here's the man who used to run the Port.
Well worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=YggHsc0LvyI

Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Trade is only as hard as both parties make it.

There are always trade-offs and compromises, but in the end, if the British make goods that Americans want to buy - there will be a market and money to be made.

Here in the states - everyone has been predicting dire things ever since Trump got elected. The sky hasn't caved in. The sun still rises in the morning. For the most part, if you turn off the news and just focus on living your life, you find that your community is still the same place it was before Trump got elected. I tend to see the same pattern with Brexit. A lot of fear, a lot of what-if's, but a lot of inaction because the politicians are more interested in scaring people than actually solving the problem that voters wanted fixed. It really shouldn't be this hard to get out of the EU.

Kind of reminds me of the song "Hotel California". You can pack up any time you like, but you can never leave. What?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Trade is only as hard as both parties make it.

There are always trade-offs and compromises, but in the end, if the British make goods that Americans want to buy - there will be a market and money to be made.
Which is already the case, and this without a trade deal between the UK and the USA.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:04 PM

434 posts, read 248,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
It really shouldn't be this hard to get out of the EU.

The UK voted in a minority government .... minority governments have trouble doing anything. Nothing to do with the EU.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:58 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,496 times
I have to sigh when I see the national news going on heavily at that senior court up here in Scotland coming out with what I see as a negative decision. Their equivalent in England did not and by the way the senior court in Ulster was like the English decision but the national news ignored that so a bit bias.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Brexit is just daft and will lessen the power of Britain globally. I'm not even going to get into the economic side of things but something no one has mentioned is that being a part of the EU gave Britain a voice in how Europe was evolving. Britain has always been a counter-balance to the other powerful European countries such as France and Germany. Britain leaving the EU will just give more power to France and Germany in the direction Europe is going. This will affect Britain and they will have no say in it. There is really no upside to Brexit and Britain leaving will just make her more irrelevant on the world stage. Better to be a part of the club and having a voice then to just be left on the side-lines with no power to influence anything.

I don't think there's anyway back now and Britain will be leaving but I think it is a shame. Isolating yourself is not how to gain influence on the world stage. They are going to be less important to the US with having less influence in Europe.

Last edited by Bernie20; 09-13-2019 at 11:29 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 06:55 AM

391 posts, read 196,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I have to sigh when I see the national news going on heavily at that senior court up here in Scotland coming out with what I see as a negative decision. Their equivalent in England did not and by the way the senior court in Ulster was like the English decision but the national news ignored that so a bit bias.
Well apparently, it's not kosher to be going around lying to Brenda....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom