Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 01:41 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,525,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I would take heed of the criticism of the Michelin guide.

As for the US and UK both have very good restauraunts.
On this we're all agreed.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,238,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm not sure you get it.
We know Gordon Ramsay is a chef.We just don't address him as Chef Ramsay as many Americans address chefs as though they're some sort of religious deity.
I've had many good meals in restaurants in the UK and the USA.
Deep-fried chicken in a bun has never been one of them ...
Oh good grief. Like I said, clearly we run in very different circles. I've never in my life ever heard ANYONE ANYWHERE call Gordon Ramsay anything but, well, Gordon Ramsay.

By the way, have you ever eaten at Chick fil A?

One more thing - I "get it." I just don't agree with it.

But thank you for the compliment - I daresay I consider myself pretty charming - but I'm biased.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:17 AM

391 posts, read 197,269 times
Quote:
Well threads like this do tend to go off in different directions sometimes - after all you were the one who brought a politicial dimension into the discussion regarding your dislike of Chick-fil-A over what you considered to be their anti-LGBT stance.

You do seem quite miffed old chap - this is just a mild and generally good-natured discussion about the merits of certain fast-food joints and dining habits of different countries.

Could I suggest you approach it in the more relaxed manner of the delightful KathrynAragon who, by her posts, sounds like a lady who could be fun to break bread with ...
Not in the slightest bit miffed dear boy. Though I will confess to a dislike of suffering fools. Americans can generally take criticism better than thin skinned Europeans. It goes with the territory.
I simply answered BNW's question. He went off on one of his wild link chases in an apparent attempt to resolve an issue that wasn't in dispute.......
That's why I said he needs to pay more*attention.....

Old 10-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Dynamics of US dining ?
I thought the dynamics were " I'm hungry, let's eat.What do you fancy tonight ? Me, I'm in the mood for some pasta.Let's try that Italian place on Main Street,USA. "
I didn't realise there were dynamics about eating out ...
You still have a lot to learn. You've been dining out in the US for nearly fifty years, and you apparently still haven't figured out the waiter/tipping dynamic, and why Americans solicit advice from wait staff.

You've obviously been influenced by your time in the Redneck Riviera, with blue plate early bird specials etc.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I would take heed of the criticism of the Michelin guide.

As for the US and UK both have very good restauraunts.
I didn't challenge the criticism of Michelin. If you have an alternative to recommend, I'm sure the world will be all ears. Some reference point is better than no reference point.....

You seem willing to accept Michelin when you can use it to your advantage....otherwise less so........an unprincipled trait common among Brexiters.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
You still have a lot to learn. You've been dining out in the US for nearly fifty years, and you apparently still haven't figured out the waiter/tipping dynamic, and why Americans solicit advice from wait staff.

You've obviously been influenced by your time in the Redneck Riviera, with blue plate early bird specials etc.

Now you're just being needlessly unpleasant.
I would have thought someone who cared so much about Chick-fil-A's attitude towards LGBT would show more tolerance of others.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:59 AM

27,412 posts, read 13,649,243 times
Quote:
I didn't challenge the criticism of Michelin. If you have an alternative to recommend, I'm sure the world will be all ears. Some reference point is better than no reference point.....

You seem willing to accept Michelin when you can use it to your advantage....otherwise less so........an unprincipled trait common among Brexiters.
In terms of the UK the AA Guide, Hardens and the Good Food Guide are all far more comprehensive and less biased than Michelin.

There is also on-line reviews from the general public, which often give a far more insightful view than many guides.

I don't bother with the Michelin guide and most of the criticism of it, including that made by the late A.A Gill was long before Brexit or even talk of a referedum.

If you want good food, other than French Fine Dining or Japanese food, then Michelin is not that useful.

Akari, a three starred Japanese Michelin Restaurants in London lost it's stars after the famous Japanese Chef Mitsuhiro Araki left the restaurant, whilst in terms of the other five michelin starred restaurants all are French with the exception of 'The Fat Duck', which is more of a modern culinary innovation type restaurant.

If you want over priced, fussy French Fine Dining or overly obsessive Japanese sushi, then Michelin is for you, however if you just want to pop out for a nice Italian meam, a curry, a chinese, thai etc or even a decent Sunday Roast lunch then I wouldn't bother even looking at Michelin.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-30-2019 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Conkling's Law* in action.

* Rather like Godwin's Law and Hitler any internet poster whose argument is floundering inevitably blames Brexit

Old 10-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
In terms of the UK the AA Guide, Hardens and the Good Food Guide are all far more comprehensive and less biased than Michelin.

There is also on-line reviews from the general public, which often give a far more insightful view than many guides.

Indeed.
The idea that the Michelin Guide is somehow the Bible of " fine " dining is another example of our American friends view of the " dynamics " of eating out.
Another of my observations about the difference in the two countries is our tradition of inns or pub grub as it's now known.
And even in the most basic of these food is served on proper plates with proper knives and forks.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Now you're just being needlessly unpleasant.
I would have thought someone who cared so much about Chick-fil-A's attitude towards LGBT would show more tolerance of others.
Roscoe you're a hoot...... You complaining about being needlessly unpleasant.....
Translation: Roscoe can dish it out, but he can't take it.
When he has no substantive reply he attempts to deflect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom