Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 02:21 PM

908 posts, read 442,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
How would you vet candidates for public office?

I don't see how requiring all candidates for political office to be independent non political party affiliated individuals would hamper the vetting process , though on that note I may as well ask for some elaboration on what you mean by " vet " since I may very well be misunderstanding your question .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 02:24 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Try telling the British war dead, as Britain defeated the Luftwaffe and had a far more powerful navy than Germany, whilst much of the land war happened in the east, as Hitler made the mistake of invading Russia.

British WW2 war dead total- 450,900

US WW2 war dead total - 419,000

British WW1 War Dead - 887,858 (of which 744,000 dead and missing from the British Isles)

US WW1 War Dead - 116,708

British War Dead both World Wars - 1, 338, 758

US War Dead both World Wars - 535 708

The British population was 46 million in 1914 and 47,760,000 in 1939.

The US population was 103,268,000 in 1917 and 132,164,569 in 1940.

Other countries saw vast numbers of deaths in World War 2, including Russia, China, Germany, Poland, Indonesia, Japan etc.
Well, that's just "Fight smarter not harder".
You also have to take into account that in neither war did the US enter it until they'd been roaring along for awhile. In the case of WWI almost three years and effectively almost four years until the first US troops engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The U.S. was attacked at Pearl Harbor. The European Theater was to some extent a war of choice.
Sort of. Had Hitler not declared war against the US a few days after Pearl Harbor we would have happily ignored Europe to go after Japan. That would have mightily pissed off Roosevelt but he was also a realist.

I do have to say that it's kind of nice to have you Brits on here complaining about the US over something other than gun control.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:28 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well, that's just "Fight smarter not harder".
You also have to take into account that in neither war did the US enter it until they'd been roaring along for awhile. In the case of WWI almost three years and effectively almost four years until the first US troops engaged.

Sort of. Had Hitler not declared war against the US a few days after Pearl Harbor we would have happily ignored Europe to go after Japan. That would have mightily pissed off Roosevelt but he was also a realist.

I do have to say that it's kind of nice to have you Brits on here complaining about the US over something other than gun control.
I don't think 'complaining' is the right word, we are stunned by the sheer stupidity of it when it comes to guns 'over there' though, its not 'complaining', it is however terribly sad - after all the issue does concern human lives itself. :-(

Old 05-22-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think 'complaining' is the right word, we are stunned by the sheer stupidity of it when it comes to guns 'over there' though, its not 'complaining', it is however terribly sad - after all the issue does concern human lives itself. :-(
Damn, I meant to say "lecturing and berating" rather than "complaining".

You took the bait real quick.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Damn, I meant to say "lecturing and berating" rather than "complaining".

You took the bait real quick.
When people are doing something so stupid that it costs human lives a little "lecturing and berating" might be what they need.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:43 PM

908 posts, read 442,112 times
Quote:
When people are doing something so stupid that it costs human lives a little "lecturing and berating" might be what they need.

It's funny that since living in Europe I've become more " moderate " on my stance on gun laws , in that I personally have no objection whatsoever to the sort of " shall issue " gun permit schemes countries like Slovakia have ( to a great extent ) , which is precisely why I've had disagreements with Americans who insist that the Second Amendment means nothing less than a federal level permitless purchase/constitutional carry scheme .

That said I think it's important for each country to figure out for itself what sort of firearms policy it should have , f.ex one of the reasons I no longer live in the UK is due to the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to own many of the firearms I do now , however I'll still be the last person to criticize the UK over such reasons since it simply wouldn't be my place .

In fact I wish that the ( in many cases much ) more " pro gun " countries of East Central Europe were to show as much courage as the UK has in leaving the EU , but I think I must digress .

Old 05-22-2022, 03:48 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Good post that BNW, I don't believe for one minute there is a 'special relationship', I think perhaps there was at some point and also of course there is a close cultural 'link' but 'special relationship' nope. I think BoJo should simply tell Pelosi to GTF and that will be an end to it.
Well, if I were the EU, that's exactly what I would be telling Britain. No special trade treatment, require visas to enter the EU, Spain tells all the Brits that live there it's time for them to leave and go home, etc. The consequences for Brexit have not been nearly as harsh as they should have been.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Well, if I were the EU, that's exactly what I would be telling Britain. No special trade treatment, require visas to enter the EU, Spain tells all the Brits that live there it's time for them to leave and go home, etc. The consequences for Brexit have not been nearly as harsh as they should have been.
Fine but as another (excellent) poster has suggested on here, I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him:-

"If the EU don't like it then tear up the Lancaster House treaties, the UK expeditionary force treaty and take a back seat in NATO just as the French for decades, which also meant US bases France had to permanently close.

Withdrawing military and security support in relation to Europe would seem to be the logical next step, as you don't defend those who put sanctions and tariffs against your nation."

We are a sovereign nation why exactly should the EU, the US or any other nation for that matter think they have the right to tell us how we must govern our country?

Old 05-22-2022, 05:30 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
We are a sovereign nation why exactly should the EU, the US or any other nation for that matter think they have the right to tell us how we must govern our country?
If you want to shoulder all of the cost of your own defense, sure.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I imagine it would be the same answer you were given when you've told people in the US how we must govern our country to your liking.

Just as a note, I happen to agree that Pelosi just needs to shut up. I will also point out that the UK, along with some of the more recently NATO Eastern European nations, was a nation that was, and historically has, fully funding its NATO commitments, unlike another Volk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom