Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 02:18 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Take That members Gary Barlow, Mark Owen and Howard Donald are apparently set to headline the coronation concert, then you have the likes of Olly Murs, Kylie and Dannii Minogue, musical theatre composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and singer-songwriter Lionel Richie, who is rumoured to be a friend of King Charles and one of his favourites will feature. Madonna is also rumoured to be performing and you have all an orchestra and even the NHS choir.
Surely you understand what this looks like to an American?
<band I've never heard of>, <singer I've never heard of>, <Australians who have pulled out already>, <the guy who writes musicals>, <American singer>, <American singer>. There's a huge list of world-famous British bands that are still together, and zero of them have signed up for this pre-festival time warm-up full of people who don't normally go to concerts (ie potential new fans)? Coldplay, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Lewis Capaldi, Adele, even a much older band like Depeche Mode, where are they all?
It just looks odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 02:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 850,626 times
If Elton John isnt playing it could be that because of his close friendship with Diana he's not that much of a Charles fan

Old 03-07-2023, 07:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post

<band I've never heard of>, <singer I've never heard of>, <Australians who have pulled out already>, <the guy who writes musicals>, <American singer>, <American singer>. There's a huge list of world-famous British bands that are still together, and zero of them have signed up for this pre-festival time warm-up full of people who don't normally go to concerts (ie potential new fans)? Coldplay, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Lewis Capaldi, Adele, even a much older band like Depeche Mode, where are they all?
It just looks odd.
I surely do not understand. I don't see why it should matter to anyone what it looks like to Americans. Who cares? The coronation celebrations don't have anything to do with Americans. It isn't America or any other non-commonwealth nations that are celebrating the coronation of their own country's new Monarch.

It's the people of the United Kingdom and all the Commonwealth Realms that will be celebrating their new Monarch. A lot of people in the Commonwealth Realms will be holding celebrations in their own countries too. Any entertainment that is provided will be provided as a courtesy to the citizens of the United Kingdom and the people of the Commonwealth Realms. If whatever kind of entertainment is provided for the commonwealth people pleases them then that's all that counts. And if it doesn't please some people, well tough beans, they don't have to attend. It's not as though a concert is something that anyone anywhere is entitled to or has any rights to have expectations of.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
It just looks odd.
They haven't even announced the line up yet, however the attraction of playing in a garden at Windsor Castle may not be as great as playing in London at Buckingham Palace or Hyde Park.

In terms of the acts, they include some of the 74 year old King's favourites, and these include the likes of Lionel Richie and Paul McCartney however there will be more modern acts and choirs etc, and there will indeed be a long list of British and International acts that can be worked through, before the official line up is announced.

The Most Famous British Musicians In 2023

Normally Jubilees and Royal Events are planned years in advance, and the Coronation will have been planned years in advance, as was Operation London Bridge (the Queen's Funeral), however in terms of the Concert it has had to be organised in a few months.

Most people in the UK will watch the Coronation, and enjoy the late pub opening hours and extra National Bank Holiday Monday, and I don't think any one is that concerned about the Coronation Concert, on the Sunday, the day after the Coronation, and which is being hosted in the East Garden of Windsor Castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheFinds

In an interview with Fox News, Christopher Andersen, royal expert and author of The King said, “People are reading way too much into what really amounts to scheduling conflicts. It’s highly doubtful that anyone would turn down the invitation to perform at the coronation.”He continued, “It’s a singular moment in history, and, frankly, just too massive a gig.”

Fellow royal expert Shannon Felton Spence agreed. “King Charles has a ton of goodwill in the entertainment industry,” she said. “The Prince’s Trust supports performers and often engages celebrities in its work. Many musicians have a real affinity for the king, so I am confident this doesn’t reflect anything other than scheduling conflicts.”

Some fans on Twitter, however, don’t think it’s solely about scheduling issues for Elton John. The classic rock icon, as some on social media are pointing out, is not only embarking on his “Farewell” tour, but was also a close friend of the late Princess Diana. The “Rocket Man” singer, 75, famously performed at Lady Di’s funeral in 1997 and it would be “strange,” as one user wrote, for him to play for her “ex-husband and his former mistress'” big occasion.

As for Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran, they too are currently on tour and will not be in London on Coronation Day. Robbie Williams is touring the globe as well.

While many fans may have been hoping for a Spice Girls reunion at the coronation, Victoria Beckham notably explained to Andy Cohen last year that this is likely not in the cards. “I had so much fun being in the Spice Girls,” the 48-year-old said on Watch What Happens Live. “But I think now with everything else I’ve got going on – with my fashion, and my beauty line, four children – I couldn’t commit to that.”

Regarding Adele, multiple reports alleged that she “turned down the invitation without explanation.” The “Easy On Me” singer, 34, isn’t scheduled to perform publicly after March 25th and she recently told fans during a performance at her Las Vegas residency that she’s fighting chronic back pain and sciatica.

Here’s The Real Reason Why Elton John, Adele And More Are Refusing To Perform At King Charles’ Coronation - SheFinds

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-08-2023 at 03:02 AM..

Old 03-08-2023, 09:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
No one cares about what Americans think that's not the point ...but the Media is powerful and is bringing it up.
So wanted to see what the whispers were with the regular Brits.
Thank you all for your inputs!
Sorry was limited in giving more Reps.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Lionel Richie? He’s still alive?
In the US, he has been a judge on American Idol since 2018 -Five yrs...and adds great, kind input, along with Katy Perry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom