Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,495,305 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've been hearing bad news about the Labour party losing by-elections, and in the Telegraph today I read that support for Labour is at it's lowest point since they began keeping track in 1943.

What happened? Labour was once so popular, and I never got the impression that people liked David Cameron very much. Is it Brown, Iraq, the UK's social problems, or other factors?

Just curious for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 AM

92 posts, read 321,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi!

I've been hearing bad news about the Labour party losing by-elections, and in the Telegraph today I read that support for Labour is at it's lowest point since they began keeping track in 1943.

What happened? Labour was once so popular, and I never got the impression that people liked David Cameron very much. Is it Brown, Iraq, the UK's social problems, or other factors?

Just curious for your input
mostly it is how much they are withdrawn from the reality of the average brit. living costs are astronomical and they keep instilling more and more taxes at a time when less and less people can afford them.

for example, they want to put a 2p rise on the petrol duty even though petrol costs are the highest on record and regardless of the fact that 85% of the price of petrol is already tax! they had an enormous fuel price protest a few days ago, something that should not happen in a developed country where the price of fuel is artificially inflated by the government.

taxes are just one thing. the government and much of the UK is very PC and afraid to admit that the vast majority of crime is caused by immigrants from certain countries. in addition, the youth of this country are out of control (btw i am an American living in London and am in my early twenties so i was a youth not so long ago and even i am appalled by what i see and i am by no means a prude!). kids hanging out on street corners actually yelling at people who walk past them (how were you raised?!), youth knife crime, the yob/chav culture which is a relatively new phenomenon, i could go on and on...

the other thing is how big the welfare state has gotten. many people here have been zapped of any sense of personal responsibility and Labour has made it "ok" to be on benefits even though it is estimated that only a fraction of those currently on the dole need to be.

many of these problems were present when Blair was in power as well except that he was charismatic and presiding over a period of economic growth so no one cared too much. now the economy is in the toilet, living costs are insane, taxes are still going up, and Brown lacks the attitude and competence to lead the country through this difficult time.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:47 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,237,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
mostly it is how much they are withdrawn from the reality of the average brit. living costs are astronomical and they keep instilling more and more taxes at a time when less and less people can afford them.

for example, they want to put a 2p rise on the petrol duty even though petrol costs are the highest on record and regardless of the fact that 85% of the price of petrol is already tax! they had an enormous fuel price protest a few days ago, something that should not happen in a developed country where the price of fuel is artificially inflated by the government.
I agree with this bit. Their recently announced "solution" to petrol prices (investing more in extracting oil - I'm sorry Mr Brown, have you not heard the terms "exhaustible" or "environment"?) is a joke and certainly wouldn't happen fast enough even if it weren't so ridiculous.

Why they go to such irritating lengths to avoid a perceived U turn annoys me beyond belief. They're not interested in the welfare of people, just their image. (Actually I blame the media in part for that.)

I'm not getting into the whole immigration and welfare state things again. I think we've done those to death and we all know each other's views.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,251,166 times
Mainly because Gordon Brown is not remotely as qualified a politician as he is chancellor. I believe he is good for the country, and is an astute economist. Unfortunately he has done little to communicate his qualities, and only amplify his weaknesses in areas that are of most concern to the British public.

Petrol prices are not as directly controlled by the government as mentioned above. The government does place a huge tax on oil, but then so does every other European country. Prices are driven by supply, world commodity prices, the value of the dollar, and OPEC. The rising price of oil is relative globally although obviously cheaper in producing nations.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:56 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,495,305 times
Okay, well here's my next question: What do Cameron and the Conservatives have to offer the UK? Is what they offer much different from labour?

And what about the Liberal Democrats. They haven't been at the top spot since Lloyd George. Do they have a chance at siphoning off Labour votes?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:32 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,166,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post

Petrol prices are not as directly controlled by the government as mentioned above. The government does place a huge tax on oil, but then so does every other European country. Prices are driven by supply, world commodity prices, the value of the dollar, and OPEC. The rising price of oil is relative globally although obviously cheaper in producing nations.
sorry but petrol prices are controlled by the government, in that they tax it at the highest percentage in the free world. 85% of what you pay goes straight to the tax man, prices have risen by some 20=25p a litre recently and Brown is getting around 17p of that ! Who is benefiting most ???

And they still say they may jack them up by 2p soon. Time for a revolution,

Old 05-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
sorry but petrol prices are controlled by the government, in that they tax it at the highest percentage in the free world. 85% of what you pay goes straight to the tax man, prices have risen by some 20=25p a litre recently and Brown is getting around 17p of that ! Who is benefiting most ???

they will find some way to tax us even if they don't add the 2p onto the price of petrol. they have u-turned on the car tax and gave out concessions for the 10p income tax debacle and they are floundering in debt. they will do anything to raise tax revenue even if it is not in ways that are in the best interest of the people in this country.

they need to shrink the bureaucracy and seriously limit how much power the state has to intervene in our lives...i thought the U.S. was intrusive but the UK's government is like big brother in comparison!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,437,124 times
I use to live in London and I must say that I agree with swim73088.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:04 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,599,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

The facts | Campaign for Better Transport

Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
i lost faith in this report when i read on the website that they have a strong relationship with the government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom