Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 02:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s actually a great question.

I’ve loved a lot of British stuff for a while - Are You Being Served, Inspector Morse, An Unsuitable Job For A Woman, Second Sight, just to name a very few. British media has a lot going for it, so it’s been interesting to see how prevalent - or not prevalent - it is going the other way over the pond.
I only started getting into Brit TV since streaming. I first saw DCI Banks, and then went to Above Suspicion, and The Capture. All really good. Then I saw the American version of something with David Tennant with him starring in it himself. It takes place in Northern California.

But I seem to only watch cop shows. Also discovered CB Strike on Cinemax. But I only seem to watch the cop shows. I usually only watch American cop shows too. Forget that family/relationship drama stuff. Oh and Musketeers and The Last Kingdom, but again, action shows. Is only thing I can get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 08:21 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
NJ Brazen_3133, you have to watch the best show in all of history on either side of the pond is World on Fire. I can't wait for the next season!

Also David Tennant in Spies of Warsaw and Magpie Murders with Lesley Manville. Murder in Provence has Roger Allam and is pretty good too

If you like DCI Banks, you'll love Endeavour.

Also I'm completely hooked on Father Brown and Sister Boniface. It's silly, but fun. Its the authentic 1950/60's wallpaper, furniture and dresses are fun to see! Maybe not for you!

I watch English, Danish, Germany and Italian shows here in the US. I never watch US shows. Stream with AmazonPrime, Britbox & PBS Masterpiece.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 07-24-2023 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-24-2023, 05:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
NJ Brazen_3133, you have to watch the best show in all of history on either side of the pond is World on Fire. I can't wait for the next season!

Also David Tennant in Spies of Warsaw and Magpie Murders with Lesley Manville. Murder in Provence has Roger Allam and is pretty good too

If you like DCI Banks, you'll love Endeavour.

Also I'm completely hooked on Father Brown and Sister Boniface. It's silly, but fun. Its the authentic 1950/60's wallpaper, furniture and dresses are fun to see! Maybe not for you!

I watch English, Danish, Germany and Italian shows here in the US. I never watch US shows. Stream with AmazonPrime, Britbox & PBS Masterpiece.
Thank you for the recommendations.

The Capture those is one of the best shows ever I think. No violence (well a little), but mostly just dialogue great acting and story telling. My problem with Brit TV though is it will mostly be considered miniseries like Band of Brothers. They just dont go on for long enough. America needs that monster of the week type show.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:25 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I was thinking back to the pre-cable era.
Doctor Who was in the pre-cable era. I haven’t seen any of those in ages. Personally, my favorite is the first season of the rebooted show with the Ninth Doctor and Billie Piper. David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor was too manic for me. I wish Christopher Eccleston had done more than one season.

I’ve always been a Monty Python’s Flying Circus fan. Fawlty Towers was pre-cable, too.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:41 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Christopher Eccleston was my husbands favorite Dr. Who, Not sure I had one favorite, I have liked them all pretty much, My Son's favorite was David Tennant.
If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be between David Tennant and Matt Smith.
I liked Peter Capaldi too. (I had a co-worker at the time though who absolutely hated him!)

Old 07-26-2023, 01:14 PM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
A British series worth watching titled "North Waters" currently on Roku AMC

Old 07-26-2023, 01:17 PM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
A guy I used to work with never missed an episode of "The Benny Hill Show" but didnt understand half the dialogue

As Churchill said "two nations divided by a common language"

Old 07-27-2023, 03:13 AM

39 posts, read 49,834 times
Girls more than blokes.

You can barely move in the workplace these days for girls talking about Friends, even if the show predates their age by some years. I was even subjected to a girl doing a Friends Pub Quiz on Sunday which was, let's say, an esoteric choice.
Never got into it myself. Can just about tolerate it.

I think there's a general aversion among many British people, especially men and men born pre-1970 at that, to American mainstream culture, be it music, television, even down to brands like McDonalds, Coca Cola. You see, in the 1970s I think Britain held itself to be elite as far as culture was concerned (owing to the success of the British Invasion, etc, the previous decade), and anything American (or from any other country for that matter) was seen as a cheap imitation. That's why American rock acts like Aerosmith, Grand Funk Railroad, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, etc, had difficulty putting down roots in the UK during the 1970s; the British acts like Led Zep, Purple, Sabbath, were seen as far superior.

Even my own dad only visited the USA for the first time (AFAIK) last year at 57, after putting it off for years.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:22 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
The Detectives with Robert Taylor was a good American show as was the Untouchables.. must better than some of the other police series ..

Old 07-27-2023, 08:05 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They just dont go on for long enough. America needs that monster of the week type show.
I don't know its what I like about them - a beginning, a middle and thankfully, an end!

I'm also streaming Candice Renoir - 2013 Drama in French with subtitles. It does go on!

Also Il paradiso delle signore 2015 Drama in Italian with subtitles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashNBurn View Post
Girls more than blokes.

You can barely move in the workplace these days for girls talking about Friends, even if the show predates their age by some years. I was even subjected to a girl doing a Friends Pub Quiz on Sunday which was, let's say, an esoteric choice.

Never got into it myself. Can just about tolerate it.
I live in NYC when Friends was popular TV. It's so freaking artificial!

Sex in the City! No connection to reality! It's fantasy TV for single women not so different from Disney's fantasy movies. In real life, they would be just a group of sad women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom