Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 07:05 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/inaUCiJVZ9A

You’ll get a chuckle out of this. These American students are given three foods to try: beans on toast, toast with cheese and pickles, and buttered toast with Marmite. I’m an American and I love beans so beans on toast wouldn’t bother me at all. I hate pickles so no to the second. I would try the Marmite on toast. One of my favorite breakfast sandwiches is egg, ham, & cheese. Prep the bread with mayo and mustard. Fry one egg and place on mustard covered bread. Fry a slice of ham and place on egg. Place cheese on ham and closed the sandwich. An old Cajun breakfast includes fried eggs and leftover rice and if there are leftover beans then that is added to the eggs and rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 09:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
British Isles including Hibernia have good food. Some of it has strange names like toad in the hole, or Welsh Rarebit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTHjgKLmx_k

Old 05-13-2023, 01:09 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

You’ll get a chuckle out of this. These American students are given three foods to try: beans on toast, toast with cheese and pickles, and buttered toast with Marmite. I’m an American and I love beans so beans on toast wouldn’t bother me at all. I hate pickles so no to the second. I would try the Marmite on toast. One of my favorite breakfast sandwiches is egg, ham, & cheese. Prep the bread with mayo and mustard. Fry one egg and place on mustard covered bread. Fry a slice of ham and place on egg. Place cheese on ham and closed the sandwich. An old Cajun breakfast includes fried eggs and leftover rice and if there are leftover beans then that is added to the eggs and rice.
Cheese & pickle is quite good, but it is not pickles as Americans know it. It is more of a chutney type sauce, or a relish.

Last edited by evening sun; 05-13-2023 at 01:20 AM..

Old 05-13-2023, 04:48 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
To be honest I wouldn't exactly call beans on toast or marmite on toast 'British food'. Something you'd give a 5 year old for a snack perhaps but not exactly a staple of British cooking.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:50 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

American kids try stereotyped British food.

I can't say I eat baked beans much, and if I do it's with a cooked breakfast, which I rarely have.

In terms of baked beans, they originate not from Britain but from the US itself and in terms of the British type of tinned baked, it was introduced and popularised by US company Heinz.

"H. J. Heinz began producing canned baked beans in 1886. In the early 20th century, canned baked beans gained international popularity, particularly in the United Kingdom, where they have become a common part of an English full breakfast".

Heinz were also instrumental in the popularity of other British condiments such as Salad Cream and Tomato Ketchup, and have had large manufacturing plants in the UK since 1905.

As for Marmite, a lot of people in Britain don't like it, and the same goes foe chutney, which was actually Indian in origin, and a product of Empire, as were other condiments such as piccalilli.

I do like a Cheese and Onion toasty, but I wouldn't dream of spreading Chutney on it.

The video is therefore the equivalent of presenting Sloppy Joes, Twinkies, Grits, Spray Cheese, Tater tots etc as good examples of American food.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-13-2023 at 05:08 AM..

Old 05-13-2023, 06:26 AM

As for Marmite it was invented by the German scientist Justus von Liebig. It is made from by-products of beer brewing (lees), and Britain like Germany had a large beer brewing industry, so by-products were easily to come by.

As for the the term Marmite is French and relates to a traditional crockery casserole vessel.

Marmite is rich in B vitamins including thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), and folic acid (B9). Vitamin B12 is only available through artificial enrichment; riboflavin and folic acid are added on top of the naturally-occurring amount.

As a result, Marmite was used by the English scientist Lucy Wills to successfully treat a form of anaemia in mill workers in Bombay. She later identified folic acid as the active ingredient. Marmite was used to treat malnutrition by Suriya-Mal workers during the 1934–5 malaria epidemic in Sri Lanka.

During WW2, people in Britain were encouraged to spread Marmite thinly and to "use it sparingly just now" because of limited rations of the product, and it was a good source of vitamins during WW2 rationing, which is one of the reasons that it became more popular.

Marmite type products are sold across the world including in Australian Vegemite (whose name is derived from that of Marmite), the Swiss Cenovis, the Brazilian Cenovit, the long-extinct Argentinian Condibé, and the German Vitam-R. Marmite in New Zealand has been manufactured since 1919 under licence.

A similar yeast extract product is Bovril can be made into a drink (referred to in the UK as a "beef tea") by diluting with hot water.It can be used as a flavouring for soups, broth, stews or as a spread, especially on toast in a similar fashion to Marmite and Vegemite.

Quote:

The first part of the product's name comes from Latin bovīnus, meaning "ox". Johnston took the -vril suffix from Edward Bulwer-Lytton's then-popular novel, The Coming Race (1871), the plot of which revolves around a superior race of people, the Vril-ya, who derive their powers from an electromagnetic substance named "Vril". Therefore, Bovril indicates great strength obtained from an ox.

In 1870, in the Franco-Prussian War, Napoleon III ordered one million cans of beef to feed his troops.The task of providing this went to John Lawson Johnston, a Scottish butcher living in Canada. Large quantities of beef were available across the British Dominions and South America, but transport and storage were problematic.

Therefore, Johnston created a product known as 'Johnston's Fluid Beef', later called Bovril, to meet Napoleon's needs.By 1888, over 3,000 UK public houses, grocers and dispensing chemists were selling Bovril. In 1889, Bovril Ltd was formed to develop Johnston's business further.

Bovril - Wikipedia
As for John Johnson's South London home, which is nicknamed 'Bovril Castle', it has undergone recent restoration and is now open to the public again.

The restored “Bovril Castle” in south London is opening to the public - ianVisits (27th March 2023)

In conclusion, a lot of such food substances are down to to history and culture, and not just in Britain but beyond it's shores.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-13-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-13-2023, 10:18 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
American kids try stereotyped British food.

I can't say I eat baked beans much, and if I do it's with a cooked breakfast, which I rarely have.

In terms of baked beans, they originate not from Britain but from the US itself and in terms of the British type of tinned baked, it was introduced and popularised by US company Heinz.

"H. J. Heinz began producing canned baked beans in 1886. In the early 20th century, canned baked beans gained international popularity, particularly in the United Kingdom, where they have become a common part of an English full breakfast".

Heinz were also instrumental in the popularity of other British condiments such as Salad Cream and Tomato Ketchup, and have had large manufacturing plants in the UK since 1905.

As for Marmite, a lot of people in Britain don't like it, and the same goes foe chutney, which was actually Indian in origin, and a product of Empire, as were other condiments such as piccalilli.

I do like a Cheese and Onion toasty, but I wouldn't dream of spreading Chutney on it.

The video is therefore the equivalent of presenting Sloppy Joes, Twinkies, Grits, Spray Cheese, Tater tots etc as good examples of American food.
Good comparison. I love baked beans/ cheese on toast or curried baked beans but I don’t eat them weekly or even monthly , just something now and again. Absolutely LOVE marmite and use it a lot but I have relatives in the uk can’t stand it.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:20 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest I wouldn't exactly call beans on toast or marmite on toast 'British food'. Something you'd give a 5 year old for a snack perhaps but not exactly a staple of British cooking.

While I enjoy both I’d agree they are not staples of British cooking.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:18 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
My mom was British and introduced me in the 1950's to Marmite on toast (and in stews). Thereafter I was hooked for the rest of my life. Sometimes it's even nice to just lick it off a spoon.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Good comparison. I love baked beans/ cheese on toast or curried baked beans but I don’t eat them weekly or even monthly , just something now and again. Absolutely LOVE marmite and use it a lot but I have relatives in the uk can’t stand it.

I totally agree.

There are plenty of options in the UK.

Whilst the UK like the US does have a lot of heavy carbohydrate type high sugar foods, these are not the only options and people in the UK are eating more vegan and vegetarian options, coupled with salads or seafood. etc.

The idea that everyone just lives on baked beans on toast, fish and chips and other such stodge all the time is becoming ever more outdated.

Baked beans in a tin are full of sugar, and not generally that good for you, whilst Marmite/Bovril is quite salty, and I am guessing mass produced Chutney which can be quite sweet has a fair amount of sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom