Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 106,021 times

Advertisements

I would like to get further information please how the current Economy AND Job Market is in England (specifically around the London area)? What are the Top Industries in London?

Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:52 AM

160 posts, read 534,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy718 View Post
I would like to get further information please how the current Economy AND Job Market is in England (specifically around the London area)? What are the Top Industries in London?

Many Thanks!
No response yet?! that says a lot

Old 06-08-2008, 11:59 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy718 View Post

Many Thanks!
I don`t know how old you are and if you`re thinking only now of a career

Or are you looking into it as a school project???
It is a very odd question with no obvious answer. If you could narrow things down a little as to the reasoning behind the question, then I think you may get more response...

Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 PM

22 posts, read 68,265 times
The job market really depends on whether you are skilled or unskilled, if unskilled there are a billion and one people all around the world waiting to move here and it's not pretty. If skilled then it's very easy to find work and make a lot of money.

In terms of industries, London's economy is very similar to New York City with a dash of Washington DC added in

Investment Banking,
Law
Media,
Central Government

Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I assume the U.K. is like the USA in the Trades industry. For example over here you can make very good money as an Plumber, Refrigeration and Heating tech (HVAC), Automotive Mechanic, Electrician, Construction etc..and also the Nursing/Hospital industry is BOOMING and begging to hire Nurses etc... I assume Britain has Trade Schools or Community Colleges like here in the states to learn these and then go out and make a living. I see in Phoenix, Arizona they are begging for HVAC techs and paying over $100,000 a year as one example.

I see people here who are poor or that work at Wal Mart or 7/11 stores at $7.00 an hour and complain and yet when i tell them they should go to trade school they mostly give a lame excuse as to why they can't.

6/3

Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I assume the U.K. is like the USA in the Trades industry. For example over here you can make very good money as an Plumber, Refrigeration and Heating tech (HVAC), Automotive Mechanic, Electrician, Construction etc..and also the Nursing/Hospital industry is BOOMING and begging to hire Nurses etc... I assume Britain has Trade Schools or Community Colleges like here in the states to learn these and then go out and make a living. I see in Phoenix, Arizona they are begging for HVAC techs and paying over $100,000 a year as one example.

I see people here who are poor or that work at Wal Mart or 7/11 stores at $7.00 an hour and complain and yet when i tell them they should go to trade school they mostly give a lame excuse as to why they can't.

6/3
Some of those industries are well paid in the UK - like skilled workmen (plumbers, electricians). Mianly due to the fact they were low paid workers not so long ago with much competition but recently a vast shortage has lead to many earning as much money as some high fliers. For instance their was a story I saw about a guy who quit the city a few years ago to rain as a plumber and makes more most months than he did as a trader! Think he mentioned £120K ($240k) a year!
Nurses are relatively poorly paid if you work for the NHS (public) sector. The private sector is much better paid if you're good at what you do.
Something to remember is that the UK has a minimum wage of £5.50 ($11) per hour for anyone over 21.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
Some of those industries are well paid in the UK - like skilled workmen (plumbers, electricians). Mianly due to the fact they were low paid workers not so long ago with much competition but recently a vast shortage has lead to many earning as much money as some high fliers. For instance their was a story I saw about a guy who quit the city a few years ago to rain as a plumber and makes more most months than he did as a trader! Think he mentioned £120K ($240k) a year!
Nurses are relatively poorly paid if you work for the NHS (public) sector. The private sector is much better paid if you're good at what you do.
Something to remember is that the UK has a minimum wage of £5.50 ($11) per hour for anyone over 21.
Thanks for that report as it was interesting richr71.......

6/3

Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 AM

12 posts, read 29,218 times
Job market...depends on your schooling and experience, but that is everywhere! This government website claims that it has been getting better Government Offices | London |
However with the 'credit crunch' and 'pension crisis' Pension Protection - Pension Crisis in the UK - moneto.eu
and the overvalued pound I am not convinced that the economy is really doing so well. However I believe that the Government might be a bit more optimistic than the economists! Thought this would help give you some more perspectives. I do believe however that unemployment is dropping. The economy just happens to be in a bit of a rut!

Last edited by LondonChic; 06-12-2008 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom