Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 05:29 AM

16,192 posts, read 21,352,181 times

Advertisements

I like it for the fact that it isn't just a standard portrait, this one provokes thought. My opinion of the man just went up a notch for choosing to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 12:03 AM

62,290 posts, read 88,181,821 times
The king saw the painting when it was about halfway done. Yeo tells BBC News’ Katie Razzall that Charles was “mildly surprised by the strong color, but otherwise he seemed to be smiling approvingly.” He adds that when Camilla saw the portrait, she said, “Yes, you’ve got him.”

The butterfly on King Charles’s new portrait was his own idea. In an interview, artist Jonathan Yeo mentioned that the king thought its inclusion might help future school children recognize him.
“In history of art, the butterfly symbolizes metamorphosis and rebirth.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...red-180984364/

It's remarkable actually, how it's turned out.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:30 AM

27,617 posts, read 13,825,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The king saw the painting when it was about halfway done. Yeo tells BBC News’ Katie Razzall that Charles was “mildly surprised by the strong color, but otherwise he seemed to be smiling approvingly.” He adds that when Camilla saw the portrait, she said, “Yes, you’ve got him.”

The butterfly on King Charles’s new portrait was his own idea. In an interview, artist Jonathan Yeo mentioned that the king thought its inclusion might help future school children recognize him.
“In history of art, the butterfly symbolizes metamorphosis and rebirth.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...red-180984364/

It's remarkable actually, how it's turned out.
It's a Monarch butterfly, and is meant to represent the metamorphosis from Prince to King according to art critics.

As As for why he chose to use so much red in the portrait, the artist stated that he wanted it to tone and distract from the King's brightly coloured uniform. “I thought the red will really distract,” adding that his solution was to instead cover the whole painting in crimson.

The red shades are meant to “echo the uniform’s bright red tunic, not only resonating with the royal heritage found in many historical portraits but also injecting a dynamic, contemporary jolt into the genre with its uniformly powerful hue.”

In this respect it should be noted that the colour red (and crimson) are traditionally linked to the regal majesty and power of a Monarch, and also represents bravery which could be a hint to the King's personal health battle.

Red also represents the red uniforms of the Welsh Guards which is the ceremonial uniform the the King is wearing in the painting, and the Guard and the Yeomen Warders, both formed in 1485, have traditionally been in Tudor red (representing the colour of the Welsh dragon) and gold. The King also having been the Prince of Wales and therefore the red in relation to the red dragon of Wales is very fitting and apt.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-22-2024 at 05:00 AM..

Old 05-22-2024, 07:27 AM

27,617 posts, read 13,825,281 times
The portrait will be on public view at the Philip Mould Gallery on Pall Mall in London until the 14th June 2024, Mondays to Fridays, from 9.30am until 5.30pm. Entry is free. Booking is not required.

The Red King – New portrait of King Charles III’s is on public display for a few weeks -ianVisits

Old 05-22-2024, 12:47 PM

2,463 posts, read 918,091 times
In a word "crap". If I were the King I'd ask the so called painter if he'd knocked over the red paint pot and this was the result of his best effort to clean it up.

It's obvious that Yeo is a complete and utter Yo Yo

Old 05-22-2024, 12:53 PM

131,861 posts, read 12,350,626 times
Well it is of no concern to me, however I think it looks ridiculous. All that red is too much, for my tastes, & his face is from 40 years ago. How about his face as of today, while he is King, not one from his time as a single man, many years ago.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:36 AM

2,423 posts, read 1,624,098 times
i love it - it's different, bold and bright and challenging - just as Art should be

Old 05-23-2024, 10:16 AM

6,009 posts, read 2,943,272 times
As an American i have no dog in this discusion , however the portrait looks like the King is plucked from Dantes , Nine Circles of Hell .

Old 05-23-2024, 10:21 AM

7,176 posts, read 11,455,519 times
I like it!

It's not a traditional royal portrait, but it's a good work of art. The face and hands pop out, the subtle shading of the various reds and browns create a hazy effect that draws your attention right to the face and hands and creates a strong vertical line that continues through the sword. The line of the arms going diagonally intersect with this vertical line and draw the eyes towards the cuffs, the medals, and other ornamentation on the jacket that would otherwise be lost in the sea of red.

The eyes move naturally around the painting, the arms seem 3D, like they pop out of the portrait towards you. The sash is another diagonal element that bisects the painting nearly perfectly.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:57 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,695,128 times
Should have been green instead of red, given his environmental stances, regardless of his uniform's actual colour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom