Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM

48 posts, read 134,194 times

Advertisements

I would be looking at the Manchester area. What does everyone think? Will this get us a nice place? at least 3 bedrooms 2 bath and still be able to live and enjoy the UK experience?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
£ 100,000 will make you a very well off person in the UK and you should be able to get a very nice , big house in a nice part of Manchester for that.
House prices are hideous in the UK but that kind of salary should not be a problem.
Anything above £75,000 puts you in the top fifth of salaries.

National Statistics Online (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=334 - broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,546 times
Yes that's a high Salary even by the UK high expenses. My mate lives well near Manchester on a cops salary of £25,000.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM

I live in Canada. We have the typically 4 seasons. I know that Britain is pretty rainy but what about the summer and the winter? Does the UK get alot of snow or mostly rain?
What are the 'northerns' like? I have been to London and around a bit but not to the Manchester area. Anything that anyone can tell me would be great

Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cweaver View Post
I live in Canada. We have the typically 4 seasons. I know that Britain is pretty rainy but what about the summer and the winter? Does the UK get alot of snow or mostly rain?
What are the 'northerns' like? I have been to London and around a bit but not to the Manchester area. Anything that anyone can tell me would be great

The 4 seasons used to be far more pronounced but in the last 20 years or so, it seems seasons have become a lot more muddled. The best sunniest weather tends to be in Autumn and usually spring in terms of sunshine. Summers tend to be a lot wetter than they used to for some reason and the last year was the worst. So far this year has been pretty bad too ! Winters are never that cold and snow hardly makes much of an appearance .

There used to be a reasonable amount of snow especially in the North but nowadays we tend to get rain, drizzle and you hardly ever get more than a couple of inches of snow if any at all.

Manchester is a large city whose corporate wealth was based on early industrial economy ( Manchester was the world's first industrialised city) with huge textiles mills now closed down ( like other Northern Places like Bradford and Halifax) . A lot of money has been spent on regeneration and urban renewal in the last few years and Manchester has been lifted out of poverty ( which occurred after the mills closed) , and urban decay .

It is now a vibrant, lively places with modern facilities, excellent shopping, museums, great restaurants etc...
Certain parts of the city do still remain very dodgy but wealth has now trickled down and some lofts in the city centre can fetch over a £million !

Not my favourite part of Britain but the improvement has been astonishing . It is not a pretty city and can be for people from the South a bit of a culture Shock. The accent can be quite hard to get used to as well if you are used to "queen's English" .

The beauty of Manchester in my opinion is the proximity to wonderful scenic beauty like the Yorkshire Dales, The Lake District, Peak District and North Wales , and further afield Northumberland and the Lancashire countryside ( Pendle Hills) .

A lot of people who work in Manchester chose to live in Chester ( beautiful Historic city with Roman roots) or the Cheshire countryside. Cheshire is considered quite "posh" by many and a lot of people with higher incomes prefer the more rural charms and more "refined" tones of that area.

A salary of £100,000 will afford you a pretty comfortable lifestyle especially in the North of England and you should have no problem finding a lovely house .

// Visit Manchester / Homepage //
Visit Chester | Quality Accommodation | Attractions | Events | Eating & Drinking
Visit Cheshire | Where to Stay in Cheshire | Cheshire Short Breaks | Things to Do in Cheshire
North Wales Tourism - Accommodation Attractions Events Holiday Breaks
Welcome to the Yorkshire Dales National Park
The official Yorkshire Dales web site for accommodation, news, events and tourist attractions throughout the Dales.
Northumberland | Visit Northumberland - The Official Visitor Website - Visit Northumberland
Peak District & Derbyshire - OFFICIAL tourism and accommodation website for the Peak District, National Park and Derbyshire
Special places to stay, things to do and see in Lancashire, England.
Isle of Man online tourism guide - TT accommodation, travel and events - Isle of Man Government -

Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 AM

Hey thanks for all the info. This will be a huge move if it happens. The company is actually based in Preston but told to look in the Manchester area for places to live or the surrounding areas. Do you know of any good areas around there or between the 2 that are nice? We were told to look in south Manchester but that would be about an hours commute each day and we would prefer something less then 30 mins. We have 3 yr old daughter to consider so outdoor parks and space is a must. Thanks again for all your help. My husband is British but I have only been there once so this is very nerve racking for me.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
I would be looking at the Manchester area. What does everyone think? Will this get us a nice place? at least 3 bedrooms 2 bath and still be able to live and enjoy the UK experience?
Thanks!
In Manchester yes you will live well, in London no way.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Your kidding right? That is more than I will ever make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom