Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 AM

294 posts, read 698,850 times

Advertisements

Consider ourselves Europeans?

I know quite alot (myself) included who dont feel European. Great Britain, does not share any borders with any other European Country.

We dont have the euro for our currency.

Does anybody care about the European parliament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I know my husband does not consider himself European - though he's not opposed to the UK being a part of the EU. I do consider the UK to be a part of Europe, geographically and somewhat politically - but culturally? No, not really. There are similarities which people from an extremely different culture outside of Europe might lump together. But for those within Europe, there is such a vast cultural difference that many (I'd venture to guess even those in mainland Europe) do not refer to themselves as "European".

Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I think of myself as Scots, British and European. It is my experience that we have much more in common with each other than differences. Of course there are cultural differences but the fundamental value system is the same.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I do because I'm part English, part German, part French, part Polish and part Jewish. It would be kinda silly not to think of myself at least a little bit European, altho that doesn't mean I entirely agree with the EU and all that it does. I do think having a united Europe is a much better idea than anything we've had in the part though.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
This is a very interesting discussion. I am Swedish (currently receding in the US) and I when I went to Uni in London people referred to me as a European.

I thought that was a bit funny, because to me Europe “starts” some were in Denmark.
While Britons sees Swedes, Danes and Norwegians as Europeans, most of us do not, not in the same sense as a German or Belgian at least.

I actually think this is a north European thing.

The UK, just as Sweden and Norway are separated from mainland Europe by water. Yes, Sweden and Norway are on a peninsula and “connected” to Europe that way, but to reach Germany by land you would have to drive through Finland, Russia / the Baltic States and Poland. The UK, Sweden and Denmark are part of the EU but do not have the Euro. Norway is not part of the EU and obviously does not have the Euro. I think one can say there is a pattern here.
I also think that British and Scandinavian humor has a lot in common. Just take the case with Monty Python. Swedish pubcaster SVT was the first network in the world to by it. (That’s right not an English speaking country like Australia or the US) The bosses at the beeb were surprised as they had ruled out export since to them the series was too British for any other nationality too understand.

(Still today British television is very popular in Sweden. Midsomer Murders get higher ratings then The Sopranos, when the latter series was still on the air)

There migh be a historical reason for this too. Prior to 1066 and the Norman Conquest of England, most English (Anglo-Saxon) international connections and trade deals were with Scandinavia, not mainland Europe. It should also remembered that for over 100 years large parts of England and Scotland fell under the so called Danelaw – parts of Britan that was governed by the Danes. While William the Conqueror was of Scandinavian heritage, he brought Britain closer to France and the continent.

(The Danelaw was roughly the area to the north of a line drawn between London and Chester, excluding the portion of Northumbria to the east of the Pennines. Five fortified towns became particularly important in the Danelaw: Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Stamford and Lincoln, broadly delineating the area now called the East Midlands. The Danelaw existed from 866 till 954.)

I know I am rambling a bit.
I hope you all can see what I am trying to say.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM

294 posts, read 698,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
This is a very interesting discussion. I am Swedish (currently receding in the US) and I when I went to Uni in London people referred to me as a European.

I thought that was a bit funny, because to me Europe “starts” some were in Denmark.
While Britons sees Swedes, Danes and Norwegians as Europeans, most of us do not, not in the same sense as a German or Belgian at least.

I actually think this is a north European thing.

The UK, just as Sweden and Norway are separated from mainland Europe by water. Yes, Sweden and Norway are on a peninsula and “connected” to Europe that way, but to reach Germany by land you would have to drive through Finland, Russia / the Baltic States and Poland. The UK, Sweden and Denmark are part of the EU but do not have the Euro. Norway is not part of the EU and obviously does not have the Euro. I think one can say there is a pattern here.
I also think that British and Scandinavian humor has a lot in common. Just take the case with Monty Python. Swedish pubcaster SVT was the first network in the world to by it. (That’s right not an English speaking country like Australia or the US) The bosses at the beeb were surprised as they had ruled out export since to them the series was too British for any other nationality too understand.

(Still today British television is very popular in Sweden. Midsomer Murders get higher ratings then The Sopranos, when the latter series was still on the air)

There migh be a historical reason for this too. Prior to 1066 and the Norman Conquest of England, most English (Anglo-Saxon) international connections and trade deals were with Scandinavia, not mainland Europe. It should also remembered that for over 100 years large parts of England and Scotland fell under the so called Danelaw – parts of Britan that was governed by the Danes. While William the Conqueror was of Scandinavian heritage, he brought Britain closer to France and the continent.

(The Danelaw was roughly the area to the north of a line drawn between London and Chester, excluding the portion of Northumbria to the east of the Pennines. Five fortified towns became particularly important in the Danelaw: Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Stamford and Lincoln, broadly delineating the area now called the East Midlands. The Danelaw existed from 866 till 954.)

Excellent post.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM

521 posts, read 1,472,865 times
I am by default European but I would never define myself that way. I'm English. I'm very proud to be British. And I'm a Yorkshireman first.

European is not something that I would describe myself as but obviously I am.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Born In Edinburgh, lived in Scotland & England, now in the US

I am british and american now.

Never consider myself to be european.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post

I stumbled on this thread and I find it interesting someone brought that information up...the British blood in me is in fact Danish not really British if traced as far back as is possible (to the early 900's); my British ancestors were in fact descended from a Danish military officer who was granted some land in what is now part of the U.K. by King Canute in return for his services and settled there with his family. Most of the family stayed in the (now known as) U.K. and are in all parts of it now, some of them came over here in the 1630's. And this is not a terribly rare thing. If any Britons, or descendants of British settlers elsewhere manage to trace their family history back to before the Norman Conquest...they have good chances of finding Scandinavian blood in them. There are a lot of Britons and Scandinavians who are related to each other (albeit rather distantly by this point) without even knowing it...

Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
Does anybody care about the European parliament?
There is no link between caring for a rubber stamp Parliament and being European. I love Europe, but want to be ruled by locally elected politicians who can be replaced at an election. We voted against Kinnock and got him as a corrupt EU commissioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom