Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times

Advertisements

My sister lives in London (Holloway) and while my brother-in-law got laid off (went to Uni and is driving a taxi), she is still working and says they know nobody else who got laid off. She thinks it is unbelievable how much money people are spending and that the worst passed London by.
My friend in Newport, Wales says it is tough. Unemployment is high, people are coming to Tescos begging for anything and they see a lot of trouble.

Here in the US unemployment is at around 10% (officially). Even in the NJ/NY area we are really beginning to feel it. People from high paying jobs have been out of work for months and those finding work are having to take big pay cuts. I've heard of 80/90 people applying for basic jobs and areas happy to get high school grads now have their pick of people with degrees.

So what are you seeing in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 PM

595 posts, read 762,204 times
Florida is real bad. Even part-time is hard to find. Alot of homeless families. Everyone is trying to help one another as much as they can. Strangers taking in strangers, just to survive. We hit 11% for September, and this is not counting the thousands who have lost all benefits.
I have family in Michigan and they have taken in the homeless as well.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
My sister lives in London (Holloway) and while my brother-in-law got laid off (went to Uni and is driving a taxi), she is still working and says they know nobody else who got laid off. She thinks it is unbelievable how much money people are spending and that the worst passed London by.
My friend in Newport, Wales says it is tough. Unemployment is high, people are coming to Tescos begging for anything and they see a lot of trouble.

Here in the US unemployment is at around 10% (officially). Even in the NJ/NY area we are really beginning to feel it. People from high paying jobs have been out of work for months and those finding work are having to take big pay cuts. I've heard of 80/90 people applying for basic jobs and areas happy to get high school grads now have their pick of people with degrees.

So what are you seeing in your area?
A recession is a recession, unemployment, closure of businesses its happening all over.

Unemployment is at 5% in Scotland, not as bad as some places in America.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
A recession is a recession, unemployment, closure of businesses its happening all over.

Unemployment is at 5% in Scotland, not as bad as some places in America.
5% is really good, that is what many economists consider a base.

Some parts of the US are at 15% and even 20%.

Are people really concerned or still feel that things will get better in a reasonable time frame?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:21 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Florida is real bad. Even part-time is hard to find. Alot of homeless families. Everyone is trying to help one another as much as they can. Strangers taking in strangers, just to survive. We hit 11% for September, and this is not counting the thousands who have lost all benefits.
I have family in Michigan and they have taken in the homeless as well.
Yes it is bad in Florida one of my sister's kids is without a job right now and one of my sister's husband is also without a job and her son as well.
My son's hours was cut but picked up this week and is expected to get better by next week with the busy season. He is one of the lucky ones. My father whom recently retired had a driver retire on him and my brother didn't hire another my dad went back to work instead he said he will probably be driving for a few more years at least. He's allowed to make x amount of money and still remain retired officialy

I still beleave that the economy will get better soon.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,324,146 times
I suspect people have been shielded during this recession because so many work for the government, directly or indirectly. That will change after the election when all major parties are committed to cutting government spending.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I have a freind currently here working on projects from scotland. He said unemployemnt was 17.3% in 2008 and has gotten worse since. The numbers he says are available by googling for the offical figures and he is trying to delay going back if possible until improve.I just did and its nowe 25.6% as of july numbers from the government which is lower than the rest of UK tho it says.Always remember that in all of europe the norm is like 325-30% for those under 30 years of age.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have a freind currently here working on projects from scotland. He said unemployemnt was 17.3% in 2008 and has gotten worse since. The numbers he says are available by googling for the offical figures and he is trying to delay going back if possible until improve.I just did and its nowe 25.6% as of july numbers from the government which is lower than the rest of UK tho it says.Always remember that in all of europe the norm is like 325-30% for those under 30 years of age.
That makes no sense. Googling the UK unemployment rate gets me 7.8% for the UK as a whole and around 5% for Scotland. Better than the US. Of course, these are official numbers and in the US certainly they are cooked, but if it was 25% it would be a bloodbath. Those were the figures seen in some towns during the Miners Strike.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 PM

238 posts, read 624,527 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. Googling the UK unemployment rate gets me 7.8% for the UK as a whole and around 5% for Scotland. Better than the US. Of course, these are official numbers and in the US certainly they are cooked, but if it was 25% it would be a bloodbath. Those were the figures seen in some towns during the Miners Strike.
The Scotland Office Website quotes ONS Statistics for Oct. 2009 as being 7.1% for Scotland. I can't find recent official figures for Glasgow, but an Evening Times article indicates that 28% of Glasgow households have no income from wages.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times
Quote:
5% is really good, that is what many economists consider a base.

Some parts of the US are at 15% and even 20%.

Are people really concerned or still feel that things will get better in a reasonable time frame?
I dont have faith in the government so i dont think this recession will be over any time soon even though we are recovering at a very slow rate.

It's effected nearly every person i know, wage cuts etc. Though we're not as worse off as people living in council provided accommodation like in the deprived areas.

There are parts in MS where my in laws are, where the rate is 15% so yes it could be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom