Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

A gay couple have claimed they were turned away from a bed & breakfast because the owner said it was "against her convictions" to allow them to share a bed.

Michael Black, 62, and John Morgan, 56, from Brampton, Cambridgeshire, have reported the owner of the Swiss B&B in Cookham to police for discriminating against them.

Gay couple 'turned away from B&B' (From Andover Advertiser)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A gay couple have claimed they were turned away from a bed & breakfast because the owner said it was "against her convictions" to allow them to share a bed.

Michael Black, 62, and John Morgan, 56, from Brampton, Cambridgeshire, have reported the owner of the Swiss B&B in Cookham to police for discriminating against them.

It's her private property.

"we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody"...

Have you ever seen that sign?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,930,290 times
They're making a big thing about it in the media.

I don't see the problem.
Whatever happened to free speech ?
So, they don't like gays ?
I'm sure they aren't the only ones. They're entitled to their opinion, just the same as anyone else is.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's her private property.

"we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody"...

Have you ever seen that sign?
Private property but also a business.

Under the Equality Act 2006 it is illegal to discriminate against people on the grounds of sexual orientation. Whether this applies to B&B I do not know.

I assume a legal case will be brought against them , it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I suspect if people were turning away Black people etc... because it was against their beliefs to have non white people under their roof a lot of people might be a little more outraged.

I personally find it outrageous that such people would even enter the world of "hospitality" if they are so prejudiced, but then again I do not belong to the Church which preaches love, compassion and goodwill to all men, so I obviously don't understand.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,930,290 times
They didn't turn them away because they were gay.
Because of their religious views, they said they could not have two gay people sharing a bed in their house, because, obviously they MIGHT have sex. The proprieters would therefore have condoned/allowed it, and gone against their teachings.

Apparently, they would have been happy to let the couple stay in seperate rooms, but this wasn't an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Under the Equality Act 2006 it is illegal to discriminate against people on the grounds of sexual orientation. Whether this applies to B&B I do not know.

I assume a legal case will be brought against them , it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I suspect if people were turning away Black people etc... because it was against their beliefs to have non white people under their roof a lot of people might be a little more outraged.

I personally find it outrageous that such people would even enter the world of "hospitality" if they are so prejudiced, but then again I do not belong to the Church which preaches love, compassion and goodwill to all men, so I obviously don't understand.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Oh John John John, you naughty litte sh-t disturber LOLOL

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

100% agreed. They cannot discriminate on grounds of sexual orientation - it is not the choice of the owners whom they will or will not allow into their B&B. Their 'religious views' mean nothing when adhering to discrimination laws, and certainly do not trump legislation.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 AM

116 posts, read 256,070 times
I cannot believe things like this still happen in the 21st century! They might as well have had 'No dogs, No Blacks, No Irish' signs in the window....this sort of discrimination should not be acceptable.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
I cannot believe things like this still happen in the 21st century! They might as well have had 'No dogs, No Blacks, No Irish' signs in the window....this sort of discrimination should not be acceptable.
A black Irish Setter doesn't stand a chance!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Discrimination happens for all sorts of reasons. And sometimes the recipient may not even realise it has occurred. We stayed at a place in North Yorkshire recently and as we were chatting to the woman that runs it, asked about the B&B across the street. She said that sometimes if someone comes for a room and they "don't like the look of them" they tell them they are full and direct them across the street. I didn't enquire further. Who knows who she considered unsavoury - mixed race couples? Gays? Those not dressed to her standards? Driving the wrong car?

Many people would just shake the dust off our feet and move on - it's easier - but I admire the people that move to prosecute injustice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom