Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:16 AM

12 posts, read 26,352 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion?
I'm from Preston UK, and there is a poor (relative poverty, not actual poverty) area in this city which is extremely safe, and a nice area (considered excellent in other countries) where crime isn't absent.
What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
What is my opinion on what? Preston is a dump.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 AM

116 posts, read 256,010 times
I don't know, there are rough parts of England but I've never seen places as bad as things I've seen in Spain, Italy, France or the US...they're the only countries that I've visited the not so nice areas of.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I've been to most of Europe and the US. The roughest places I've seen where in parts of the US and in Naples, Italy.

Something that I have never seen anywhere else, our rough areas are like paradise.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
I would agree with that.

Try looking at Camden New Jersey on Google streetview for just one example.

I always giggle at our rappers trying to be ghetto like their American counterparts.

Don't be so silly. You live in a welfare state where nobody goes hungry.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I have heard there are sections of Glasgow where gang/knife crime were pretty endemic. Is that true at all?

Supposedly Paris is a big hotspot as well for housing project ghettos.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I have heard there are sections of Glasgow where gang/knife crime were pretty endemic. Is that true at all?

Supposedly Paris is a big hotspot as well for housing project ghettos.
The East end of Glasgow is pretty rough, not that anyone in their right mind would venture out to there. Seen the same in parts of London, Manchester, Birmingham.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:12 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
some parts outside Britain are pure hell...you need to visit them maybe to get an idea of how bad things can be...the worst places in UK aren't even close to some in India, Africa and yes, the US...
of course crime goes up as poverty rises, people are in survival mode all the time and would kill over a piece of bread; the whole mental state of someone who lives in poverty is different

Old 05-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I've been to most of Europe and the US. The roughest places I've seen where in parts of the US and in Naples, Italy.

Something that I have never seen anywhere else, our rough areas are like paradise.
I agree with you. Once, when we were driving through the not-so-rich area that I was talking about, my grandmother from India didn't notice anything wrong. She thought it was an OK area, which it is. It's just that the houses aren't in that good a state, and the UK National Poverty Line (which I think is a bit too high) makes a third or so in this area under it. But the people there are completely happy.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
some parts outside Britain are pure hell...you need to visit them maybe to get an idea of how bad things can be...the worst places in UK aren't even close to some in India, Africa and yes, the US...
of course crime goes up as poverty rises, people are in survival mode all the time and would kill over a piece of bread; the whole mental state of someone who lives in poverty is different
There's a huge contrast in India. My grandfather (deceased)'s house in Chennai (Madras) is pretty good, yet outside it is a small slum. It's quite rough there, but there isn't any crime.
Those people there are pretty friendly, and whenever I come back from India every year I never notice our deprived areas for a few months ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom