Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,060,027 times

Advertisements

Seattletimes.com: Fading U.S. cities look to Old World Europe for inspiration

Detroit and other Rust Belt cities hoping to reverse decades of decline are finding new inspiration in unexpected places: the older industrial cities of Europe.

In recent weeks, leaders from Detroit, Cleveland and other Midwest cities have traveled to Europe as part of a "Cities in Transition" exchange sponsored by the German Marshall Fund and the Kresge Foundation.

Please click on the above link to read the entire article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,837,946 times
When all else fails, copy Europe. It's the American way, after all.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
Well those going do get a vaction freee out of it. Reminds me of all thsoe politican takig trips as always to study a problem .Hope it doen't cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands.I would think they should already have had a plan really which is why they were elected.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 9,506,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well those going do get a vaction freee out of it. Reminds me of all thsoe politican takig trips as always to study a problem .Hope it doen't cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands.I would think they should already have had a plan really which is why they were elected.
Have you read the article? I don't know anything about Leipzig Germany, but I'd hardly call Manchester or Turin vacation destinations. I mean, how many Europeans come to the US to vacation in Akron or Pittsburgh?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM

8,674 posts, read 17,301,679 times
[sarcasm]Obviously America has nothing whatsoever it can learn from Europe, because America is so different and exceptional. Obviously places like Pittsburgh and Detroit don't need to learn anything from anyone about how to make use of vacant industrial facilities. So obviously, if American city staff visit Europe and state they are doing so to find out how Europeans solve their cities' problems, they must of course be lying and are just taking fabulous vacations to exotic places like Manchester at taxpayer expense. Once there, they sip fruity European coffee and gasp in wonder at the beautiful architecture of East German textile mills and mining pits. [/sarcasm]

Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Have you read the article? I don't know anything about Leipzig Germany, but I'd hardly call Manchester or Turin vacation destinations. I mean, how many Europeans come to the US to vacation in Akron or Pittsburgh?
Hey, I'd like to take a (short) vacation to Pittsburgh some day. I agree not too many Europeans would, if they even thought of it.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM

262 posts, read 550,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
When all else fails, copy Europe. It's the American way, after all.
We (in Europe) say that the other way around lol.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM

138 posts, read 315,091 times
The automobile killed American cities. The resurrection will take time.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
The automobile killed American cities. The resurrection will take time.
It can't get here fast enough, for me. But there were other things that killed places like Pittsburgh and Detroit. Our corporate managements thought the USA would be on top forever, so they caved in to excessive union demands (in both industries) and ignored newer/better ways to make steel. The rest is now history. Too many industries failed to adopt tight quality control, as preached by W. Edwards Deming but the Japanese sure applied his principles to their products and eventually cleaned our clocks.

The list of culprits to blame for the decline of our cities is long and the truth is sordid, like using tax revenues to build roads while ignoring our rail options, a complete FUBAR situation going back over 80 years now. DC started building a subway system back in the 1960's and it totally changed the city, for the better, but it took 30 years and the transformation is still working in neighborhoods along the lines. Now, at our low rates of taxation, we're hosed, unless some truly courageous leaders in industry and government step up and insist we raise taxes to invest our way out of the trick bag that we're in. Fat chance.

These problems are structural issues in how our government and politics all work, and all conspire against us.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,160,744 times
Ok, I read some of the article.

SO you have a city, full of working-class fabric mill workers who lose their jobs and are replaced by a boat-load of artsyfartsy types.

Explain to me how this benefits the mill workers? Are the mill-workers suddenly transformed into artists? If not, how do they benefit from their town turning their mill into an "artists community"? Who, exactly is buying the art? Not the millworkers, since they are out of work.

It seems like these European cities are interested in turning their towns into "upscale", "high-end" destinations with no thought as to what the displaced, unemployed population that LIVES THERE is going to do to survive. Granted, some of them, I suppose will provide services to these artsyfartsy people like cleaning their floors and babysitting their children and doing their laundry, but in practicality, is that really going to help and make a difference? I think not.

The quote at the bottom of the article.... "Unemployment remains high in Leipzig and Manchester, and poverty remains ingrained across generations of families." would indicate to me that making communities attractive to upscale artsyfartsy types isn't really addressing or solving the problem.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning