Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

I think in many transit Oriented cities people go to the store more often instead of stocking up. Probably eat fresher food, depending where they shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think in many transit Oriented cities people go to the store more often instead of stocking up. Probably eat fresher food, depending where they shop.
So we're back to this business of "Oh, what fun! Let's go grocery shopping every day". We've discussed this before. Some of us have no interest in spending our free time that way.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So we're back to this business of "Oh, what fun! Let's go grocery shopping every day". We've discussed this before. Some of us have no interest in spending our free time that way.
And some of us do, although obviously I don't have to grocery shop every day if I don't want to. And that reminds me, one way to make carrying a couple packages easier if shopping via public transit (or on foot) is to use a little rolling cart. I use it if I'm going to the antique fair or plan on shopping for several things. Using a small cart or wagon came up in that earlier thread--thanks for jogging our memories!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:55 AM

76 posts, read 167,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
And some of us do, although obviously I don't have to grocery shop every day if I don't want to. And that reminds me, one way to make carrying a couple packages easier if shopping via public transit (or on foot) is to use a little rolling cart. I use it if I'm going to the antique fair or plan on shopping for several things. Using a small cart or wagon came up in that earlier thread--thanks for jogging our memories!
These rolling carts are not easy to get on and off of a bus- especially if the bus is crowded and you have to hold them in your lap. But grocery shopping is everyday shopping- something that ideally should be done in your neighborhood and done on foot. I'm talking about back-to-school or Christmas shopping- things you likely cannot do on foot or do in your own neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Exodus View Post
These rolling carts are not easy to get on and off of a bus- especially if the bus is crowded and you have to hold them in your lap. But grocery shopping is everyday shopping- something that ideally should be done in your neighborhood and done on foot. I'm talking about back-to-school or Christmas shopping- things you likely cannot do on foot or do in your own neighborhood.
*shrug* I can do that in my own neighborhood. Light rail has access ramps and open space for carts. Some things are always going to be more logistically difficult than others--for example, even if I have a car, I probably can't take home a sofa from the store.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Exodus View Post
A mall is climate controlled. A downtown street is not.

Even if you are a guy a shopping trip with your family could easily involve a lot of packages.

And when you end up with arthritis, the less you have to carry the better.

I can carry stuff when its cold, or when its warm. I dont usually go shopping when its sleeting or when the temp is over 100 Degrees. If you do shopping then, mall shopping is going to be much easier even if you only have a couple of packages.

When I shop with my wife, we can both carry things. With my kid, she could carry things. But I wouldnt expect too many families to go completely car free - the occassion that all three or four or five of you need to go get lots and lots of things, would seem to be the ideal time to take the car.

If you ARE carfree (as many single people for example are) there is the option in many cities of renting a zip car.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Again, is this about solutions for those who want to be carfree, or about defending that some folks need to have cars?

Is there really someone here suggesting that no one own an automobile?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
*shrug* I can do that in my own neighborhood. Light rail has access ramps and open space for carts. Some things are always going to be more logistically difficult than others--for example, even if I have a car, I probably can't take home a sofa from the store.

I have rented a van from Uhaul on occasions for things like that. Home depot will rent small trucks by the hour. There are lots of solutions, if solutions are what folks are looking for.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I have rented a van from Uhaul on occasions for things like that. Home depot will rent small trucks by the hour. There are lots of solutions, if solutions are what folks are looking for.
Car shares sometimes have pick-up trucks too. Not to mention car-shares in general as opposed to renting a car or truck by the day.

I personally enjoy the fact that people think that just because I don't have a car, I go to the grocery store every day. And that this is extremely difficult. The stereotype should be allowed to stand for all time. Makes me feel like I'm tough pioneer man or something, on my 3 block once per week sojourn to...the supermarket.

We've come so far as a society, and in such a short time.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Aside from New York, I wonder how many of those people in the Wikipedia list cities are without cars by choice ...
My wife and I will be two of those people later this year, after we move. We hate having to drive, paying insurance, registration, car payments, etc, and we can easily afford to have cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning