Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,333 times

Advertisements

No. The closest grocery store to us in 1.7 miles away. It would take us more than ten minutes to walk there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No. I always drive to the grocery store, which takes about 2 minutes. I would never walk to it. Why carry heavy bags in freezing cold weather when I can save 18 minutes by driving instead of walking and put everything in the trunk?
because you are saving the world by walking. don't you want to save the world??

Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
# 23

i consider anything south of Braddock to be North Springfield, not Annandale. I suspect anyone within Southwest annandale as I define it is 10 minutes walk to the Giant at bradlick, to the Hmart on Heritage (which IS a supermarket) or both.

I am not certain about the far SE part of annandale (near TJ) to the Bradlick Giant. There USED to be a whole foods where the staples is, but I suppose now parts of that are not 10 minutes walk anymore.

North east - once you get more than 10 minutes from the Blooms, I would think you are getting close to Harris Teeter.

northwest - up hummer - is a harder one I suppose. But thats a particularly low density area - relative to the whole population of Annandale, that is not MANY houses.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 03-02-2011 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
No. I always drive to the grocery store, which takes about 2 minutes. I would never walk to it. Why carry heavy bags in freezing cold weather when I can save 18 minutes by driving instead of walking and put everything in the trunk?

Is the weather ALWAYS freezing cold where you live? where I live it is often quite pleasant, thankfully. I find thats a good way to get 20 minutes of exercise - saving gasoline is a bonus.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
because you are saving the world by walking. don't you want to save the world??

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - in this case quite literally

anyway its fine if you live near a grocery store and choose to drive.

The point of this thread was merely to point out that living within 10 minutes of a grocery store is hardly uncommon in the USA, and neighborhoods where most or all live within 10 minutes of one are not confined to a few of the densest cities.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I am sorry, are you answering the OP? I did not ask IF you walk. I asked IF you live within a 10 minute walk of a grocery store.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Used to. Now it might be 15 to the nearest, and the prices there are more expensive than similar stores (regular chain).

In fact, used to have three places to shop--excluding the dollar store. Wal-Mart, Aldi's, and Publix.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - in this case quite literally

anyway its fine if you live near a grocery store and choose to drive.

The point of this thread was merely to point out that living within 10 minutes of a grocery store is hardly uncommon in the USA, and neighborhoods where most or all live within 10 minutes of one are not confined to a few of the densest cities.
If you live within a 10 minute walk of a grocery store, the gasoline you use to get it is small. Though maybe if you somehow spent the entire stuck in traffic it won't be.

Anyhow, lots of short trips (unless you just used your car) isn't particularly good for your car, which is one of the reasons why I avoid driving to the supermarket in good weather. Doubt it makes that much of a difference though.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you live within a 10 minute walk of a grocery store, the gasoline you use to get it is small. Though maybe if you somehow spent the entire stuck in traffic it won't be.
the most critical benefit for us, is that, since we have ONE car for two people, it often comes up that one person needs to get some groceries and doesnt have access to that car. Its quite handy.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I live within a 2-minute walk of a convenience store that sells gas, cigarettes, and pop and that's about it. Also a 10-minute walk of a produce store that specializes in mushy vegetables and very large cockroaches.

There were grocery stores in my end of town at one time; they all bugged out for larger quarters on the fringes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning