Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times

Advertisements

I don't get LAs light rail line. terminates just short of the airport. Stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM

217 posts, read 409,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
"The failure of most American cities to connect their airports to downtown with trains (or to do so hopelessly after the fact) will go down as yet another of our great infrastructure blunders." - John Kasarda/Greg Lindsay, "Aerotropolis." While I suppose you can excuse Indianapolis, Columbus and Kansas City, which haven't even gotten around to building their first rail transit line, what about Buffalo, New Orleans, Pittsburg, Houston, Salt Lake City, Memphis, and many others that have rail transit lines but they don't reach the airport?
While it's better than nothing, I wouldn't really call the Memphis trolley lines, with its restored antique rolling stock, "rail transit." It's less than 7 miles and it only covers some parts of downtown.

It's really inexpensive, it's fun to ride, and it's much better than walking several blocks during the ridiculously hot, oppressively humid summer. But forget reaching the airport, I'd be happy to see it reach midtown. If Memphis had "real" rail transit I'd be tempted to pack my stuff and move back there tomorrow. But I'm only in my 30s and I'll be surprised if I even live long enough to see that happen.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
The Airport lines or Stations around here only get used by 12,000 which is small in my opinion....

YouTube - JFK Airtrain ride on the Van vick Expressway JFK Bound

Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
While it's better than nothing, I wouldn't really call the Memphis trolley lines, with its restored antique rolling stock, "rail transit." It's less than 7 miles and it only covers some parts of downtown.

It's really inexpensive, it's fun to ride, and it's much better than walking several blocks during the ridiculously hot, oppressively humid summer. But forget reaching the airport, I'd be happy to see it reach midtown. If Memphis had "real" rail transit I'd be tempted to pack my stuff and move back there tomorrow. But I'm only in my 30s and I'll be surprised if I even live long enough to see that happen.
That's exactly the point of trolley lines--they are intended to link adjacent neighborhoods and simplify short walks, not provide long-distance commuter transit. Think of them as pedestrian accelerators. And antique rolling stock can certainly serve as modern transportation--San Francisco's Market Street line still functions as practical commuter transportation, in addition to their basic awesomeness.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
I've used both St Louis and Portland OR rail transit exclusively when visiting on business to get from the airport. I think it is a great asset when it's feasible.

Harrisburg PA (MDT) continues to flub up adding a rail station to its airport. It seems silly but an Amtrak stop probably would be a better bet to get downtown to its well-located Amtrak station, than the city bus that doesn't run on Sundays. Would also help for fliers out of Lancaster PA, which has its own airport but terrible service.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Airport lines or Stations around here only get used by 12,000 which is small in my opinion....

YouTube - JFK Airtrain ride on the Van vick Expressway JFK Bound
That is a people mover its job is to connect the airport's terminals to the subways and other trains. It does not say go into the city and have its own route. Chicago' has a tiny one the Airport transit system which connects the ternminals, parking lot and metra station.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM

217 posts, read 409,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
That's exactly the point of trolley lines--they are intended to link adjacent neighborhoods and simplify short walks, not provide long-distance commuter transit. Think of them as pedestrian accelerators. And antique rolling stock can certainly serve as modern transportation--San Francisco's Market Street line still functions as practical commuter transportation, in addition to their basic awesomeness.
I wasn't complaining about the antique-ness. I think it's pretty cool and it fits with the character of the buildings downtown. Yeah, "pedestrian accelerator" is a very apt name for it. You get from here to there much more quickly than walking, while still being able to enjoy the scenery.

The point I was trying to make was that it seems unfair to criticize Memphis for not connecting its airport to its "rail transit" because it doesn't have anything that could really be called "rail transit."

Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
That is a people mover its job is to connect the airport's terminals to the subways and other trains. It does not say go into the city and have its own route. Chicago' has a tiny one the Airport transit system which connects the ternminals, parking lot and metra station.
No its an Airtrain , not really a people mover. It goes outside the Terminals....

Old 04-11-2011, 04:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Actually, it seems like most American cities except with the most limited transit systems manage to connect their cities to airports. I'd care more about having rail connections that go to where people live and have high ridership, though airport connections are nice.

Getting to the airport: Something America gets right | The Economist

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
No its an Airtrain , not really a people mover. It goes outside the Terminals....
Ah I was thinking airport line like the Orange or Blue line or Metra North Central where the airport is one of many stops rather than a dedicated service. (i.e. These trains would be useful even without the airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning