Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM

41,979 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That made me laugh.
I'll be here all week. Two-drink minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I don't see how its a fake hellhole? those communities are defiantly real and they are quiet and peaceful. a hellhole would be ghettos like camden, gary and detroit.
Is this a freudian slip? Defiantly :-) j/k

Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, if it's a "fake hellhole", then no one has anything to worry about, right?
Right on. All the tax chattels are still in their proper place in the cities where they should be.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Is this a freudian slip? Defiantly :-) j/k
Damn i make that mistake every time!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 PM

587 posts, read 1,412,139 times
People hate on the suburbs for a number of reasons.

1.) Suburbia lacks culture- Let's face it. Most culture in America is the bi-product of the city. From fashion to music to art, the city is the happening place, not the burbs. People in big cosmopolitan cities dress better than folks in the suburbs. Daily fashion on the streets of big cities like New York influence the way people all over the world dress. The city always produces the best popular music. It has been this way for decades and decades. In terms of popular music, Rap music has ruled the airwaves for the past twenty plus years. Unlike Jazz, Rock music and Pop music of the past, Rap's appeal does not rest on the ability to sing, compose music or play instruments. Rather, Rap music is the poetry of American inner city ghettos. Rappers from the suburbs are laughed at and seen as having no credibility.

2.) People in suburbia are viewed as being sheltered- One of the most common gripes about the suburbs is that people in suburbia have perfect lives and don't have "real problems". Living in a sketchy or dangerous inner city area is seen as cool when it comes down to it. All the popular fashion, slang and music originates from sh#tty inner city neighborhoods plagued by relative poverty, high crime rates, daily gunfire and plenty of senseless violence. Ironically, most American inner cities were once quasi-suburban areas inhabited by nothing but White people 50 or so years ago. Cohesively, the housing stock in most American inner city areas is not anywhere near as bad as the tin shacks in real third world locales in Jamaica and Haiti. I don't think there are any abandoned crumbling large single family homes in the ghettos of Indonesia and Africa like there is in Detroit. Living in inner city environs rife with crime not only gives credibility to the minorities who were born and raised there. White hipsters and other wealthy mostly White folks raised in nicer city neighborhoods and the burbs gain credibility from their suburban dwelling friends by living in "rough" gentrifying inner city neighborhoods.

3.) People from the suburbs are boring- People from the suburbs are seen as boring and whitebread. Stereotypically, they dress plain in JC Penney style outfits and drive boring cars like generic Honda Accords and Dodge Minivans and live in boring cookie cutter neighborhoods. Suburbs are also seen as lacking diversity and everyone looks bland and the same unlike the city which has its share of wacky homeless people, drop dead gorgeous women, winos, scary gang bangers, weirdo hipsters, awkward fresh-off-the-border/boat immigrants etc.

4.) There is "nothing to do" in the suburbs- All of the best shopping, wining and dining, bars and clubs, museums and any type of entertainment, period, exists in the city. The only attractions most suburbs have is the local mall. Unlike the city, there are no strip clubs or packed nightclubs that close at 4 AM in most suburbs. Unless you are under 17 years old, the suburbs are insanely boring. This is because the suburbs were founded primarily as a place to raise kids. Cohesively, the city is a crappy place to raise kids for this exact reason unless you are rich enough to live in one of the wealthy crime-free city neighborhoods. Who in their right mind wants to raise their kids around liquor stores, chop shops, strip clubs, teenagers who shoot military issue guns at each other for wearing the "wrong color" and tons of crazy homeless people when you can live in the quiet of the burbs?

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 10-23-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Unlike the city, there are no strip clubs or packed nightclubs that close at 4 AM in most suburbs.
Eh there was a suburb near I grew up where the bars and clubs stayed open till 4 am. No strip clubs, though. Doubt they'd allow that.

But there are no bars or clubs open till 4 AM city or suburb in Massachusetts.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM

10,223 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Unlike the city, there are no strip clubs or packed nightclubs that close at 4 AM in most suburbs.
Oh, there's strip clubs in the suburbs all right. Remember the message of most of the post-1950s TV shows about suburbia, that there's a dark underbelly to its whitebread existence. Well, there is, a little bit :-).

Take this post from another board about Urbana, MD (Frederick County):
"Oooh, the Rabbit’s Foot. That brings back memories. I never went there, but I used to hear all about “Ladies Night”. That was back in the day when the motel behind the old truck stop at the I70/Rte355 intersection had rooms available by the hour…
*That* was when the name “Fredneck” really fit"'

Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Is it true that suburbs are stereotyped to be more right politically? I do see many "Conservative" yard signs in the burbs

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Is it true that suburbs are stereotyped to be more right politically? I do see many "Conservative" yard signs in the burbs
You wouldn't find those in Boston burbs, don't think that amendment would do well there.

Last edited by nei; 10-23-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
True here, and probably most other cities which experienced "white flight"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning