Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM

69 posts, read 172,997 times

Advertisements

Other than Chicago, I doubt there is a midwest city where it's not stigmatized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
It seems that a lot of cities do have an association of public transit use with low-income people or people who don't own a car not "out of choice".

There are a few cities though where public transit use seems like it's "mainstream" and "used by most, rich or poor". Examples include NYC obviously, San Francisco's area with the BART, and some Canadian cities like Toronto. Of course then there are the Old World cities, though I've never been.

On the other hand there are many cities where there seems more stigma associated with taking the bus (for example, in LA).

Which cities or areas associate public transit users with poverty/low income and in which areas, are they seen as "mainstream, used by both rich and poor"?
I think generally there's also differences between types of public transportation; when we lived in LA I knew plenty of middle and even upper-class people who were happy to get on a train or subway, but I doubt most of them took the bus. I didn't have a chance to read most of this thread yet, but see that others have said the same thing of their cities. In Minneapolis, where there's only limited trains (and I'm guessing in other similar cities), I think the difference comes in type of buses. Taking the bus to commute to your downtown job (or to got a sports game, perhaps)? Totally normal and mainstream. Taking the bus to run errands or go to the grocery store? Not necessarily stigmatized, but a bit more unusual, and it's almost always assumed that middle-class parents with kids will always be driving. Then again, I think that's true of almost all cities outside of NYC.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Here is a great point/counterpoint that relates pretty closely to the topic of this thread:

First the article:

Race, Class, and the Stigma of Riding the Bus in America - Commute - The Atlantic Cities

and then the rebuttal:

Human Transit: the atlantic wonders if transit is failing white people

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default Come visit us

Come to Baltimore, ride the Metro and the buses. You will mostly see working stiffs and the underclass. Then go 40 miles further south to Washington, D.C. and do the same. A wide variety of users, including lobbyists.

You would think you are in a different country.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I like Jarrett's conclusion--it is similar to my own conclusion when I rode the bus in Los Angeles last year--I looked around, realized I was the only white person on the bus except for a transvestite. I thought "Cool." to myself and went back to checking out the architecture.

Basically, if the only way to get whitey back on the bus is to ensure that all the other passengers are white, just give up now because it isn't happening and it's a fool's errand. It is a bit like the old school of thought that if we just dress up downtowns like suburban malls whitey will come back, but that doesn't work either. It misses the point that diversity is a desirable function of cities--and that the suburbs are hardly lily-white these days anyhow.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I like Jarrett's conclusion--it is similar to my own conclusion when I rode the bus in Los Angeles last year--I looked around, realized I was the only white person on the bus except for a transvestite. I thought "Cool." to myself and went back to checking out the architecture.

Basically, if the only way to get whitey back on the bus is to ensure that all the other passengers are white, just give up now because it isn't happening and it's a fool's errand. It is a bit like the old school of thought that if we just dress up downtowns like suburban malls whitey will come back, but that doesn't work either. It misses the point that diversity is a desirable function of cities--and that the suburbs are hardly lily-white these days anyhow.
A lot of times when there are other white people on board, they are European / Australian tourists - they have no hang-ups about riding the bus. I think the problem is with people and not the systems themselves. It seems like Metro in LA is running a good marketing campaign and has piqued interest in some new transit riders... But then again, there are always going to be people that say "you can't spell public transit without 'ICK'".

Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
And those are the people who aren't worth trying to reach. Marketing to people who think your product is disgusting is a waste of effort--if you're selling meat, don't market to vegetarians. They won't like you any better.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
A friend of mine lives in la, doesn't drive and has no license. She takes the bus to work and comments on how she is the only "creative class" or "professional worker" on the bus. Her coworkers think she is crazy but her company did change the policy on transportation subsidies to include bus passes and not just parking.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A friend of mine lives in la, doesn't drive and has no license. She takes the bus to work and comments on how she is the only "creative class" or "professional worker" on the bus. Her coworkers think she is crazy but her company did change the policy on transportation subsidies to include bus passes and not just parking.
I see "creative class" often but "professionals" less. I don't use the public transportation much (just walk for everything) - the last time I was on a bus was for a job interview, I actually wasn't the only person on the bus (210 along Fairfax Ave).

Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Hi all--

Having moved here in the past year, I nominate Dayton, which has a justifiable stigma attached to it's bus system. There's an excellent Chinese restaurant that I only visited twice because it's too close to the main RTA hub downtown, and it's crowded with homeless, beggars, and gangbangers with their pants around their ankles and baseball caps on backwards. Not good. The bus stops themselves scattered throughout the city are little better - guarantee there's a couple of loud punks at each one, haranguing passerby.

It's bad enough that Beavercreek refused to allow bus stops within their city limits (and then consequently got sued for it):

Group alleges Beavercreek violated Civil Rights Act | www.daytondailynews.com

I also nominate SEPTA:

VIDEO - Gunmen shooting into a Philadelphia Septa Bus | 2 Video Newscasts FoxPhillyNews - YouTube

Other transit systems have their share of problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJFv9SMSMQ

My experience with Cincinnati's Metro was a bit more mixed - certainly quite a few professionals on board, especially at rush hour, but otherwise filled with the same trouble-making riff raff. TANK, in Northern KY, was pretty good, comparatively speaking, but you still get your share of characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning