Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

First, is my title correct? Has there been a decline from say, 30 to 40 years ago?
Secondly, if there has, why? Has inner city youth had a change of culture and just backed off somewhat on tagging or are they doing it as much as ever and the cities are just getting better at cleaning it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
First, is my title correct? Has there been a decline from say, 30 to 40 years ago?
Secondly, if there has, why? Has inner city youth had a change of culture and just backed off somewhat on tagging or are they doing it as much as ever and the cities are just getting better at cleaning it up?
I don't know if it has declined in volume, but it certainly has declined in quality. Used to be the "artists" were creative and had something to express. Now they just destroy the appearance with unintelligible, ugly scribbles.

(Not that I've ever been a fan, but the old time graffitti was more artfully accomplished.)

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
I admire certain aspects of it. It's like, if there is an abandoned building, I'd say go for it.

I don't like tags, tags are just random scribbles by people who think it's cool.

However, I've seen dedicated work that I would feel bad to see taken down. However it is still vandalism, and even though I am fine with it being put on old buildings, I know that it is only temporary until they decide to revitalize. So i say take a pic and enjoy it while it lasts.

I feel that graffiti is part of the life of a city. It's been around for centuries and it's like cave paintings. When we are gone, some of these will tell a story.

Here are the unwritten rules though.

No private property.

Nothing on new property.

I think the work of many artists are amazing, but I understand when it comes to small buisiness and personal property. Random taggers arent street artists. And I also think it's good to ask permission to do a mural, My neighborhood has a few murals, one was sadly taken down and painted over.

The other 2 are a mural of the city, and an Aztec Calender.

This one was taken down:

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Graffiti got separated into two camps - street art and tagging. There are still some who combine both, but for the most part it's polarized.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Graffiti got separated into two camps - street art and tagging. There are still some who combine both, but for the most part it's polarized.
Seems these street artists types incorporate some tagging-style graffiti (the last 3, the first 2 are completely tagging, and I don't how to classify the 3rd one) into street art. They made their tagging more artistic looking though.

//www.city-data.com/forum/23699148-post6.html

Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seems these street artists types incorporate some tagging-style graffiti (the last 3, the first 2 are completely tagging, and I don't how to classify the 3rd one) into street art. They made their tagging more artistic looking though.

//www.city-data.com/forum/23699148-post6.html
Yes that's what I meant by those whose work has elements of both. I see a lot more "signed" pieces in NYC than I do here in Baltimore; anonymity seems to be a real part of what's going on here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning