Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Call it the community plan, or "Manhattenizing L.A.".

People hate that the city wants to make hollywood more urban. Make L.A. act more like a city than a suburb. Starting with the Hollywood Community Plan.

People act like they live in a small town when infact they live in a city and are in denial about it. People need to face the facts that L.A. is gonna go verticle(maybe not as high as NYC) but vertical none of the less. I've seen apartments going up everywhere. I'm glad to see L.A. starting to mature. Brush off the suburban stereotype.
Seems to be any city that has a wealthy "hills" and a less wealthy (comparatively or absolutely) "valley".

The "hills" residents like what they are familiar with, and have no room for change. If that is to the detriment of everyone else, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Seems to be any city that has a wealthy "hills" and a less wealthy (comparatively or absolutely) "valley".

The "hills" residents like what they are familiar with, and have no room for change. If that is to the detriment of everyone else, so be it.
If this is the view they're trying to preserve, then what is it they're looking at exactly?

There's nothing "past" Hollywood except for smog, and the ocean is in the other direction partly blocked by the slope of the other mountains (which I presume is visible when there isn't smog).

Personally, if I lived over a city I would expect the view to change since it's a constantly developing city. The only thing that would seem more absurd is if the hills residents complained about shadows from the "new Manhattan".

Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
If this is the view they're trying to preserve, then what is it they're looking at exactly?

There's nothing "past" Hollywood except for smog, and the ocean is in the other direction partly blocked by the slope of the other mountains (which I presume is visible when there isn't smog).

Personally, if I lived over a city I would expect the view to change since it's a constantly developing city. The only thing that would seem more absurd is if the hills residents complained about shadows from the "new Manhattan".
That must have been a pretty smoggy day. That is about as bad as it ever gets. The view is typically much, much nicer, like in the photo below.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are some people anal about city development? Such as Hollywood residents?-downtown-hollywood.jpg  

Old 06-04-2012, 06:14 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
I had to double check this thread to make sure what word you used

Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Here is some evidence that there is very strong demand for new, high density, mixed use apartments in Hollywood: Dolby Theatre Signs Up at Former Kodak, The Avenue Rents Up | Curbed LA

This ultra expensive new building (rents from 2300 to 11,000) has rented 65% of new units in the six months since opening.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Here is some evidence that there is very strong demand for new, high density, mixed use apartments in Hollywood: Dolby Theatre Signs Up at Former Kodak, The Avenue Rents Up | Curbed LA

This ultra expensive new building (rents from 2300 to 11,000) has rented 65% of new units in the six months since opening.
In near by West Hollywood, prices are going down for a high density residential building. Apparently most of the units cannot be sold.

People for Livable Communities - Transit Oriented Development a Huge Failure
Local Union Calls Out W Hollywood On Crappy Sales Numbers - Mudslinging - Curbed LA

Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
In near by West Hollywood, prices are going down for a high density residential building. Apparently most of the units cannot be sold.

People for Livable Communities - Transit Oriented Development a Huge Failure
Local Union Calls Out W Hollywood On Crappy Sales Numbers - Mudslinging - Curbed LA
(Apparently poorly made, overpriced) Condos vs. Apartments - despite what people think, LA is a city of renters.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM

This is a great example of the kind of development the new Hollywood Community Plan would encourage: Five Mega-Projects that Will Transform La Brea | Streetsblog Los Angeles

These projects are not part of the plan, as it has not been passed yet, but this is generally the type of development that is being mislabeled as "Manhattanization", and already exists in spades throughout not just Hollywood but the entire LA region. The plan really just makes it easier to fill in those gaps (La Brea is/was a pretty substantial gap).

I'm particularly excited they are keeping this old building: http://goo.gl/maps/dqu5 It is such an eyesore now but has amazing potential.

UPDATE: The plan passed today unanimously.

Last edited by munchitup; 06-19-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning