Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cities and cars share a conflicted relationship these days. Environmental concerns, growing traffic congestion and an urban design philosophy that favors foot traffic are driving many cities to try to reduce the number of cars on the road. In cities such as Seattle, Chicago, Toronto and Boston, some people go so far as to claim there is a "war on cars."

That's a phrase that has popped up around the country as cities spend more transportation dollars on transit; add streetcars, bus and bike lanes; raise parking rates; install "traffic calming" measures; and increase traffic enforcement with cameras. Advocates of these changes say they give people more options and make cities safer. But some motorists feel like they're under attack.
Full article here:

Motorists To Urban Planners: Stay In Your Lane : NPR

I get the impression that motorists feel that those in favor in walkability and alternative forms of transit don't want them being able to use their cars. From my personal experience, I often hear motorists openly stating their disregard and unwillingness to share the road with cyclists. Biking happens to be my main form of transportation and twice I've been hit by cars while riding on the sidewalk. I happened to be on the sidewalk and cross walk when they happened because the roads were both busy 24/7 and there weren't any bike lanes. As a result I couldn't do anything since by law I was supposed to be on the road. Fortunately I wasn't injured severely and my insurance could cover everything, but I was then I would have been out out of luck since cars have the clear advantage in both cases despite the cars posing the bigger threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,612,410 times
Because congestion and paying for expensive parking is a way better way to live....

Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Full article here:

Motorists To Urban Planners: Stay In Your Lane : NPR

I get the impression that motorists feel that those in favor in walkability and alternative forms of transit don't want them being able to use their cars. From my personal experience, I often hear motorists openly stating their disregard and unwillingness to share the road with cyclists. Biking happens to be my main form of transportation and twice I've been hit by cars while riding on the sidewalk. I happened to be on the sidewalk and cross walk when they happened because the roads were both busy 24/7 and there weren't any bike lanes. As a result I couldn't do anything since by law I was supposed to be on the road. Fortunately I wasn't injured severely and my insurance could cover everything, but I was then I would have been out out of luck since cars have the clear advantage in both cases despite the cars posing the bigger threat.
I don't know about you. But when I was in the 4th grade I took a bicycle safety course, and I still remember that we were told that when you cross in a cross-walk you ALWAYS get off your bike and walk it across. I guess they didn't have bicycle safety courses where you went to school. Too bad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't know about you. But when I was in the 4th grade I took a bicycle safety course, and I still remember that we were told that when you cross in a cross-walk you ALWAYS get off your bike and walk it across. I guess they didn't have bicycle safety courses where you went to school. Too bad.

20yrsinBranson
I've never taken a bike safety course. The police officer I talked to said that a lot of people don't know that. And in my case I was still hit even though the signal to walk came on since the driver wasn't paying attention.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,307,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Things may have changed since you were in 4th grade and you had bike safety in a place where bicycles were considered strictly children's toys, not transportation tools.

Lots of people feel like their way of life is under attack, because it's easier to blame sinister hidden conspiracies than fundamental changes in the economy and society. Others feel that if people don't validate their own choices by choosing the same thing they did, it is explicit criticism of their choice. They can feel that way if they want to, but it doesn't make them any less wrong.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
It's funny how quickly we got used to $3.50+ a gallon and still believe we will be able to afford to live out of our gasoline powered cars forever.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,219,750 times
Share the road is a two-way street, something cycling advocates should keep in mind at all times. And I don't really get why people think $3.50 gas is expensive... most of the world is paying double that. The cost of bus service in suburbia is very comparable to the cost of operating a cheap car, and you get a hell of a lot more for the dollar. The fact that driving is so cheap is why we consume so much of it, arguably too much.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,192,533 times
There are a few major "war on cars" bellowers in Omaha. It really is a shame they fail to realize no one is going to refuse them their ability to drive a car. I really don't want anyone that wants to own a car to turn theirs in. Many of us just want options.

The latest example of the "war on cars" in Omaha. A one way street that is 3 lanes wide that runs into downtown is getting a diet to two automobile traffic lanes a bike lane and get this IMPROVED parking on the street. No major construction, no major expenditures. Simply re-painting the lanes.

I can't wait to see the outrage when a 4 lane one way street into downtown that carries a mere 8000 cars a day gets a two lane diet for a dedicated bike way next year! http://movingomaha.org/images/storie...fter_1_web.gif

I really don't think people can see the benefits of all these projects from behind their dashboard. And the strangest part is that the same people that are being "attacked" are the ones that will vacation to larger cities and wonder why Omaha doesn't have the same type of activity on the street .

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,242,951 times
Sorry, the hostility of many urban planning advocacy organizations towards cars is obvious and palpable. And you see it here too.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sorry, the hostility of many urban planning advocacy organizations towards cars is obvious and palpable. And you see it here too.
And how many truly anti-car actions have been taken outside of some areas that never were that autocentric to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning