Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times

Advertisements

I like to think so, being that I used public transit for a long time before I started driving. Everybody acts like they know "there are buses" when they never used them. I know that buses don't run to certain areas, after certain hours and on certain days in some places but a lot of people who have always driven have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Unfortunately many places now have 30 min. or even 60 min. service all day long, along the entire route. Even during the rush hour.
I'm sure such does exist.
Everywhere I've witnessed similar.... ridership was the reason.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,095,522 times
Quote:
It's sad when people think that half hour bus service is good, or even acceptable. With that level of service, it means that if your bus doesn't show up, you'll waste 30 minutes of your life standing on the sidewalk waiting for the next bus. If you are on you way to work, you will probably be late. Not a good way to impress your employer.

There are places in the world where 2 - 3 min. transit service is the norm. Hell, there was a time (before my time) when even Denver had two minute service on streets like Broadway and Colfax.

Here is my personal opinion

2 - 5 min. - good service.
10 - 20 min. acceptable service.
30+ min. unacceptable service.
Yeah, I think frequency is important. Toronto's busiest bus routes, like Dufferin (29) and Finch West (36E) have 2-3 minute service during rush hour and 4-5min service mid-day, even around midnight, it's less than 10min... mind you, all this is theoretical. I know the Dufferin bus route has (or at least used to have) bunching problems, so you might several buses arriving all at once, and then nothing for 10 minutes.

Anyways, even Brampton, an outer mega suburb, they are trying to increase frequency. Obviously, it's more difficult when ridership is low, but I think even the most of the minor routes looping around subdivisions have 30 min offpeak/weekend service, as well as service from 6am-midnight, and maybe 15-20min peak service. The core routes have 5-15 min peak service, 10-20min offpeak weekday service and 10-30min weekend service. The core routes have service for about 18-22 hours a day.

As for safety in Toronto, obviously it varies, but even outside downtown, I would say it's pretty safe. The most dangerous neighbourhoods, like Jane-Finch, Malton (in the suburb of Mississauga) and Mt Dennis have homicide rates of about 5-10 per 100,000 people per year. The safest areas, like North Toronto and Central North York (roughly between Leslie, Steeles, St Clair and Bathurst), much of the Northern suburbs and Halton (far West suburbs) have homicide rates of 0.1-0.5. As for other crimes, they can get unreported, which makes comparisons more difficult.

Crime Maps | CBC Toronto
This shows downtown having high rates for many types of crimes, although it takes the number of crimes relative to the number of residents, and in downtown, non-residents greatly outnumber residents, so that could skew the numbers. However, the core has little car theft. Also, many of the areas in North Toronto/Central North York have a lot of break and enter, even if they have few other crimes, I guess there's more to steal in those areas (middle to upper class). It's also a bit surprising how the areas around Weston Road have a lot more sexual assaults but fewer assaults than the areas around Danforth Rd and South Scarborough.

Also, yesterday was the latest I ever came home (4am, was finishing an assignment)... I was surprised out how many other students were still in the library, there were guys and girls, alone and in groups, walking between the buildings around the library. Outside campus, I saw one young guy walking on a trail (which is well lit), and a young woman walking on a main street (which was empty at that time), as well as a total of 4 cars. :P

Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Where do you live? The Gaza Strip? Damascus? Please don't tell me Allentown!

Yes Allentown. If we find ourselves showing properties concerning investment income to prospective clientele at an odd honor to accommodate the client we have a way to immobilize the threat.

And if your thinking we are some sort of right wing nut jobs your wrong. I worked the phone banks for the president's reelection campaign and headed up a city section for door to door canvasing.

Yes,even left leaning moderate liberals like myself and and my wife can and do support the 2nd amendment.

Now go catch your bus.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Yes Allentown. If we find ourselves showing properties concerning investment income to prospective clientele at an odd honor to accommodate the client we have a way to immobilize the threat.

And if your thinking we are some sort of right wing nut jobs your wrong. I worked the phone banks for the president's reelection campaign and headed up a city section for door to door canvasing.

Yes,even left leaning moderate liberals like myself and and my wife can and do support the 2nd amendment.

Now go catch your bus.
The best kind of American

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Yeah, I think frequency is important. Toronto's busiest bus routes, like Dufferin (29) and Finch West (36E) have 2-3 minute service during rush hour and 4-5min service mid-day, even around midnight, it's less than 10min...
Boston definitely has no bus routes of that frequency during peak. Brooklyn might have 1 or 2, dunno. Some subway lines might run at 10 mins or less until midnight in NYC or maybe Boston. After midnight in New York, it's 20 minutes for just about every line.

Quote:
As for safety in Toronto, obviously it varies, but even outside downtown, I would say it's pretty safe. The most dangerous neighbourhoods, like Jane-Finch, Malton (in the suburb of Mississauga) and Mt Dennis have homicide rates of about 5-10 per 100,000 people per year. The safest areas, like North Toronto and Central North York (roughly between Leslie, Steeles, St Clair and Bathurst), much of the Northern suburbs and Halton (far West suburbs) have homicide rates of 0.1-0.5. As for other crimes, they can get unreported, which makes comparisons more difficult.
In my current city I can't remember a random violent crime, well except one that wasn't street crime. Of New York City, most neighborhoods have murder rates 3 or below, roughly half the city averages a bit under 2. The part of Manhattan with the highest murder rate outside of Harlem is Midtown which isn't a very meaningful number the number is computer per resident and few people there are residents. Haven't done a breakdown of Boston but it appears to have a similar contrast.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think frequency is important. Toronto's busiest bus routes, like Dufferin (29) and Finch West (36E) have 2-3 minute service during rush hour and 4-5min service mid-day, even around midnight, it's less than 10min...
Boston definitely has no bus routes of that frequency during peak. Brooklyn might have 1 or 2, dunno. Some subway lines might run at 10 mins or less until midnight in NYC or maybe Boston. After midnight in New York, it's 20 minutes for just about every line.

Quote:
In my current city I can't remember a random violent crime, well except one that wasn't street crime. Of New York City, most neighborhoods have murder rates 3 or below, roughly half the city averages a bit under 2. The part of Manhattan with the highest murder rate outside of Harlem is Midtown which isn't a very meaningful number the number is computer per resident and few people there are residents. Haven't seen a breakdown of Boston (or any other city) but it appears to have a similar contrast.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I like to think so, being that I used public transit for a long time before I started driving. Everybody acts like they know "there are buses" when they never used them. I know that buses don't run to certain areas, after certain hours and on certain days in some places but a lot of people who have always driven have no idea.
This is so true. I am 66 years old and have depended up public transit both in Chicago where I used to live and in Portland OR where I have lived for the past 34 years. Often I see people posting in the Portalnd forum asking about public transport and if it goes everywhere. People will reply it does.

The people answering are usually those who see a bus stop while driving in their cars and think "Oh there's a bus stop so the answer will be "yes you can take it anywhere." They don't understand about routes and schedules.

What they don't take into consideration is that anyone who is completely dependent upon that bus may need it for off hours and that bus only goes during rush hour and not at all on weekends. Or maybe the person responding saw the bus on one street and so assumed it traveled on all others.

I think that on the whole, those who do not depend solely upon public transport to get around don't give the best advice on how to use it or where it goes.

Regarding safety, like many cities, we have our share of muggings and troubles on buses and light rails. Some routes more than others. It is simply wise to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. Keep your packages and purses close to yourself. If someone wants to occupy two seats let them. A seat isn't worth a knife in your side. I happen to ride a bus line where passerngers sometimes include a crazy or two but except for the occasional situation where the driver has to throw one off the bus they are usually pretty harmless. I can understand though how this would be a turn off for people who choose the safety of their cars over the challenge of a ride on public transportation.

For some reason, troublemakers are attracted to light rail trains and train stations. Portland didn't seem to understand this until the bad guys decided to make some routes their turf. Now that it is understood and more security has been added, it is much safer. But incidences are really uncommon. Again, wherever you are it is just wise to be alert.

I guess after all is said and done, you get used to what you get used to.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
It's sad when people think that half hour bus service is good, or even acceptable. With that level of service, it means that if your bus doesn't show up, you'll waste 30 minutes of your life standing on the sidewalk waiting for the next bus. If you are on you way to work, you will probably be late. Not a good way to impress your employer.

There are places in the world where 2 - 3 min. transit service is the norm. Hell, there was a time (before my time) when even Denver had two minute service on streets like Broadway and Colfax.

Here is my personal opinion

2 - 5 min. - good service.
10 - 20 min. acceptable service.
30+ min. unacceptable service.
Anyone who expects transit service every two to five minutes needs to get a car and drive. One of the advantages of a car is that you're on your own schedule. I simply do not see why the taxpayers should pay for transit so that someone doesn't have to wait more than 5 minutes.

Quote:
In the suburbs thats true. But there are parts of Denver that have lots of people on the streets even after midnight maybe even 2AM. LoDo, Capital Hill and East Colfax come to my mind.
Yeah, East Colfax with the crack dealers and prostitutes. I doubt Cap Hill, and probably not even LoDo during the week. We lived in Sloan's Lake and it was as quiet as any suburb after say, 7 PM at the latest, at least in the colder months. My daughter lived near DU, just a few blocks from Evans and University; it was busy on those streets, but once you got a block away it was as quiet as any suburb.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
As for safety in Toronto, obviously it varies, but even outside downtown, I would say it's pretty safe. The most dangerous neighbourhoods, like Jane-Finch, Malton (in the suburb of Mississauga) and Mt Dennis have homicide rates of about 5-10 per 100,000 people per year. The safest areas, like North Toronto and Central North York (roughly between Leslie, Steeles, St Clair and Bathurst), much of the Northern suburbs and Halton (far West suburbs) have homicide rates of 0.1-0.5. As for other crimes, they can get unreported, which makes comparisons more difficult.:
I want to live in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning