Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Don't forget natural gas. It has some problems (like a lack of natural gas stations, half the trunk in a Civic GX is taken up by its gas tank, high cost of the tanks). Natural gas is currently about 40% cheaper than nuclear for producing electricity in a combined-cycle natural gas plant, which is about 300% more efficient than burning the natural gas in a combustion engine. As the cost of electric cars goes down, they may make more economic sense, especially in small cars where the size of the natural gas tanks is a real burden, than burning natural gas directly would.
The two biggest issues with natural gas haven't even been mentioned--first, it's highly damaging to the environment to get it out of the ground, and two, it's highly explosive and not a liquid, so harder to detect leaks. Service stations who work on these vehicles need to put in expensive sniffer/exhaust systems to be in compliance with Federal law.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it at all, just pointing out that there are some significant barriers to it.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
What do you think gives America the right, with only 5% of the World's population to use 20-25% of the world's annual oil production?

It is only those of an accusatory mindset, such as yourself, who seek to depict petroleum consumption as an undeserved "right". The market of an earlier time provided an opportunity, and some people took advantage of it.

Later, that market changed/adjusted, as all markets must do, and we will likely come to regret our earlier injudicious consumption. But it is not your privelege to appoint yourself as High Priest, Prosecutor and Sole Presiding Judge.

Do you think it is sustainable for the US to be so massively dependent on imported oil (7-8 mn bpd), when it has a huge balance of payments deficit, and foreigners are beginning to lose their "appetite" for US debt?

And the workings of open markets are bringing that issue closer to the forefront every day.

If the US is likely to be faced with a big future jump in Dollar oil prices, does it not make sense to beginning addressing the unsustainable addiction to oil now, while the currency still has some spending power?

That would require the transfer of more power from an unenlightened many to a self-righteous few. As Lord Acton observed, and as I have admittedly quoted in other posts, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

If the country's leadership has failed to address the oil imports issue, is it not essential for individuals, who do not want to wake up to an oil price shock, to address it themselves, by downsizing their car dependency, and maybe living somewhere that they do not require a car in sustain their day-to-day lives?

Which many of us are already doing, to the extent to which we can, without risking being caught in an unsustainable trap caused by sudden changes in centralized fiat, which seems to be a particular fetish of many like yourself, often masquerading as "progressive" or "Politically Correct"

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-24-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
TRANSLATIONS : given for the above comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
What do you think gives America the right, with only 5% of the World's population to use 20-25% of the world's annual oil production?

It is only those of an accusatory mindset, such as yourself, who seek to depict petroleum consumption as an undeserved "right". The market of an earlier time provided an opportunity, and some people took advantage of it.

Later, that market changed/adjusted, as all markets must do, and we will likely come to regret our earlier injudicious consumption. But it is not your privelege to appoint yourself as High Priest, Prosecutor and Sole Presiding Judge.
========
TRANSLATION : The US has enough money to pay for it, so there's no morality to consider.
Might makes right. "Might" here is a spendable currency.
(You jumped to the conclusion that I was judging - I merely asked a question.
As I said, I was steering away from the morality, and wanted to focus on economic issues.)

Do you think it is sustainable for the US to be so massively dependent on imported oil (7-8 mn bpd), when it has a huge balance of payments deficit, and foreigners are beginning to lose their "appetite" for US debt?

And the workings of open markets are bringing that issue closer to the forefront every day.

TRANSLATION: No blow-up yet. So why should we worry? No issue here. Move on.

If the US is likely to be faced with a big future jump in Dollar oil prices, does it not make sense to beginning addressing the unsustainable addiction to oil now, while the currency still has some spending power?

That would require the transfer of more power from an unenlightened many to a self-righteous few. As Lord Acton observed, and as I have admittedly quoted in other posts, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

TRANSLATION: Do not interfere with my absolute right to spend my money however I like.
(A very dangerous approach: since it focuses only on the very short term, and permits no consideration of the long term. Like say: lets burn down the forests this year. The need for firewood next year should be of no consideration. And I don't want any leaders to stop me from rape and plunder.)

If the country's leadership has failed to address the oil imports issue, is it not essential for individuals, who do not want to wake up to an oil price shock, to address it themselves, by downsizing their car dependency, and maybe living somewhere that they do not require a car in sustain their day-to-day lives?

Which many of us are already doing, to the extent to which we can, without risking being caught in an unsustainable trap caused by sudden changes in centralized fiat, which seems to be a particular fetish of many like yourself, often masquerading as "progressive" or "Politically Correct"

TRANSLATION: Leave me alone. I will address it, or not address it, in my own way.
I am sorry to say that...
I find it very difficult to consider "making a community" with people who are so entirely selfish and short-sighted. No doubt, the rape-and-pillage today attitude you have, and maybe others around you share with you, is bound to lead you and your community off a cliff.

I have to wonder: How do I protect myself and those I care about from the recklessness of such people?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
TRANSLATIONS : given for the above comments...

I am sorry to say that...
I find it very difficult to consider "making a community" with people who are so entirely selfish and short-sighted. No doubt, the rape-and-pillage today attitude you have, and maybe others around you share with you, is bound to lead you and your community off a cliff.

I have to wonder: How do I protect myself and those I care about from the recklessness of such people?
You and "yours" are not the ones in need of protection, because your post screams out the point that you are only interested in the welfare and security of those whom you can control. That puts you right down there with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, bin Laden and all the rest.

Some people might conisider this megalomania.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You and "yours" are not the ones in need of protection, because your post screams out the point that you are only interested in the welfare and security of those whom you can control. That puts you right down there with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, bin Laden and all the rest.
Some people might conisider this megalomania.
???
A strange post. Sounds like "projection" to me.
Do you disagree with my "TRANSLATIONs" ?
They do not convey a public-spirited attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning