Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

^^Neither one of my kids wanted to go to downtown Denver at 13, either. I think they were 16-17 before that came up. Of course, the hard-core urbanists (note I do not mean all of them) would say that's because they were suppressed.

I remember once when my bro was in high school, which would have been age 15+ b/c our HS started in 10th grade, he and some friends ditched school and caught a bus to Pittsburgh. I don't know as they did much when they got there. My parents were not angry when they found out.

New York is a different place, no? Here, some kids do open enroll at high schools other than the local school. Some from here in Louisville go to HS in Boulder, on the bus, in car pools, or when they get older, driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:59 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
New York is a different place, no? Here, some kids do open enroll at high schools other than the local school. Some from here in Louisville go to HS in Boulder, on the bus, in car pools, or when they get older, driving.
In NYC, Unless you want to go into a general population middle school or high school (you don't), you must apply to middle schools (6-8) in 5th grade and then apply to high schools in 8th grade. You could end up with 20-40 minute bus/subway commutes to middle school and even longer commutes to high school. It was the main reason we moved out of NYC to a train suburb in NJ where our kids walk (!) to all their schools, walk to the downtown/train station area and walk/ride a bike to many friends houses and athletic fields.

One of the high schools we considered in Manhattan was Xavier, a private Jesuit HS on 16th St in Manhattan a few blocks from where we were living. The practice fields for the athletics are spread all over Manhattan, including Columbia's athletic fields 1 hour north by subway on 217th St in Manhattan.

Contrast that to the athletic fields that are all right behind our kid's top ranked public high school.

Living in NYC means walking, but it also means lots of train and bus riding depending on time and location. It also would have meant dropping my 6th and even 7th grader via bus/subway at school vs my 4th grader walking to school and back without me in our little town.

There is a great variety of people in NYC that is lacking in our town, but knowing that my kids can walk to high quality schools, not having to apply to middle schools and high schools, and knowing that most of their friends will be within a mile or 2 (not from all 5 Boroughs of NYC) outweighs the lack of diversity.

Plus - they walk more here in suburbia going to school than they would have going to school in NYC.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
^^Neither one of my kids wanted to go to downtown Denver at 13, either. I think they were 16-17 before that came up. Of course, the hard-core urbanists (note I do not mean all of them) would say that's because they were suppressed.
I definitely would have wanted to; but I had no particular need to go by myself. Definitely went by myself when I was 16, probably slightly earlier but I can't remember.

Quote:
I was trying to give an example of "big city where young teenagers travel on their own, including to downtown"

Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Plus - they walk more here in suburbia going to school than they would have going to school in NYC.
Your NYC suburb sounds more walkable than mine, or at least denser so more were in walking distance. I often did, though it was long (1.5 miles) and a section that wasn't the most pedestrian friendly. Kids living closer did walk more.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense, according to the science of sound. You may not hear a lawnmower in the city b/c of all the other noise.

I will point out that I have raised two kids to adulthood; my parenting abilities have been tested. One of my kids has a doctorate and one a master's. The fact that I didn't let them go to downtown Denver on the bus at age 13 doesn't seem to have hampered them in any way. How about you get back to us when yours are 13 and let us know if you're letting them go to downtown Boston unaccompanied by an adult.
Structures create noise insulation.

At 15 most kids here ride the train to other squares and yes even Boston. But you dont need to get on a train to Boston - 13 year old kids walk around the local neighborhood and trust me there is alot to do when you live in the most dense city in New England with a 95 walk score.

As far as diversity in your other post, are you saying that the schools in Denver are more white than your suburb? Sure the population may be, but the schools? Doubtful.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Structures create noise insulation.

At 15 most kids here ride the train to other squares and yes even Boston. But you dont need to get on a train to Boston - 13 year old kids walk around the local neighborhood and trust me there is alot to do when you live in the most dense city in New England with a 95 walk score.

As far as diversity in your other post, are you saying that the schools in Denver are more white than your suburb? Sure the population may be, but the schools? Doubtful.
Currently, my window is open and I just heard an airplane go over, plus there are some birds chirping and some dogs barking.

What do you take me for, a white supremacist or something? I'm tired of all these "microagressions", AKA little digs of yours. I'm an anti-walking racist, by your reckoning.

I can't find a post about diversity in my burb or Denver and I do not know what in the H*E*double hockey stick you're talking about. No, the Denver schools are quite diverse, among the most diverse in the state. Some in Aurora are probably more diverse, and depending on your definition of "diversity", some in Commerce City are pretty diverse, too, meaning lots of minority kids. Do you think I meant kids open-enroll in Denver schools to avoid going to school with minorities?

Yeah, there's a lot to do in your city. According to CD //www.city-data.com/city/Somerv...achusetts.html there are 13 Dunkin' Donuts there. It looks like the usual assortment of suburban shopping.

I note that per Wiki, the largest employer is Tufts University. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerv...#Top_employers

Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Saying you live in a diverse place implies you're telling the other person is a white supremacist?!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Saying you live in a diverse place implies you're telling the other person is a white supremacist?!
I don't know what he's talking about. This is a long, old thread. I did a search with my name and diversity and I did not mention Denver at all, let alone their schools. Maybe he can explain himself.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I don't know what he's talking about. This is a long, old thread. I did a search with my name and diversity and I did not mention Denver at all, let alone their schools. Maybe he can explain himself.
What more is there is to explain? The question is clear, turning it into an insult is weird. I'll say my town is less diverse than either of yours.

13 dunkin donuts per 80,000 people is normal here

Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
Quote:
Currently, my window is open and I just heard an airplane go over, plus there are some birds chirping and some dogs barking.

What do you take me for, a white supremacist or something? I'm tired of all these "microagressions", AKA little digs of yours. I'm an anti-walking racist, by your reckoning.

I can't find a post about diversity in my burb or Denver and I do not know what in the H*E*double hockey stick you're talking about. No, the Denver schools are quite diverse, among the most diverse in the state. Some in Aurora are probably more diverse, and depending on your definition of "diversity", some in Commerce City are pretty diverse, too, meaning lots of minority kids. Do you think I meant kids open-enroll in Denver schools to avoid going to school with minorities?

Yeah, there's a lot to do in your city. According to CD //www.city-data.com/city/Somerv...achusetts.html there are 13 Dunkin' Donuts there. It looks like the usual assortment of suburban shopping.

I note that per Wiki, the largest employer is Tufts University. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerv...#Top_employers
Woa! You just posted about how the city is more white than the suburbs there, I was just rebutting whether that applies to the schools. Calm down.

As for dunkin donuts - yea they are popular in Boston, but there are a few more things to do here too (see #6):

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/tra...2-1479d276e276

Last edited by semiurbanite; 06-09-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning