Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,536,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Then go back to bed, LOL! (That was a joke.) I will bring up the subsidy that public transit gets every time someone starts screeching about cars, roads, etc being subsidized. I did say I am not opposed to public transit.
It's not a bad idea

Wasn't directed at you.

Luckily metro areas are starting to see the value in subsidy for high capacity transport projects.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
I said once before, I like to think of myself as a "myth-buster" on this forum. Public transit is subsidized, highly so. The argument usually starts with someone carrying on (I'm going to vary my hyperbole) about cars being subsidized, we should get rid of all these subsidies and then these evil suburbanites would pay the true cost of driving, yada, yada. Then someone else brings up, hey, public transit is subsidized as well, and the party starts. I'm not really in favor of getting rid of all subsidies for PT. I think it's a part of the mission of public transit to serve underserved areas. (Note I am not suggesting buses run empty.) Buses also benefit from subsidies for roads and fuel; it's not just a car vs bus issue.

@RonnieinDallas-I am not arguing that public transit should be profitable. I'm arguing that it's not.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:30 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,889,226 times
Quote:
I said once before, I like to think of myself as a "myth-buster" on this forum. Public transit is subsidized, highly so. The argument usually starts with someone carrying on (I'm going to vary my hyperbole) about cars being subsidized, we should get rid of all these subsidies and then these evil suburbanites would pay the true cost of driving, yada, yada. Then someone else brings up, hey, public transit is subsidized as well, and the party starts. I'm not really in favor of getting rid of all subsidies for PT. I think it's a part of the mission of public transit to serve underserved areas. (Note I am not suggesting buses run empty.) Buses also benefit from subsidies for roads and fuel; it's not just a car vs bus issue.

@RonnieinDallas-I am not arguing that public transit should be profitable. I'm arguing that it's not.
The fact remains that car use is MUCH MUCH more subsidized than public transit. Nobody here is arguing removing any subsidies. Katiana based on your post I take it you support more public transit since it is less subsidized than cars. In that regard I agree with you.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It's relevant b/c a lot of stats were posted at that time. Do a search.
Katiana that is not a source. You cannot say, "I once had a conversation and it proved me right, we are done!." Life doesnt work like that. If you have stats share them. If not do not allude to having them.

Thank you

Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have no problem as long has they pay their way. We don't need to subsidize more public transport I this time of cuts in more basic things. I think if a city wants it then pay for it or charge enough to. No freeride. let bikers pay say with a tax on bikes and licensing fee with testing. much like fishermen and hunter pay before it even get to market o each item. If they don't pay they don't support it.
Actually we should cut car and road subisides then since they are getting a freeride and dont pay their own way.

Lets cut the fuel subsidies and watch gas go up to $7 a gallon. Also every public road can have a toal booth. So whenever you get off your driveway you pay a toll to use the road, and every mile of the road you pay a toll, to switch roads you pay another toll.

Seriously if your logic is consistent you would support this. Car drivers are MUCH bigger freeriders than cyclist, and there is a lot more of them. We both agree this needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning