Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Call it the community plan, or "Manhattenizing L.A.".

People hate that the city wants to make hollywood more urban. Make L.A. act more like a city than a suburb. Starting with the Hollywood Community Plan.

People act like they live in a small town when infact they live in a city and are in denial about it. People need to face the facts that L.A. is gonna go verticle(maybe not as high as NYC) but vertical none of the less. I've seen apartments going up everywhere. I'm glad to see L.A. starting to mature. Brush off the suburban stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Every city seems to have people who assume it's a suburb. Wacky.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Or some residents are happy the way things are, and are suspicious of any change.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:36 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
I would think that making LA and Hollywood more Manhattan like would be a good thing, but I don't know the specifics of it. LA seems relatively young, so I hope they keep the old Art Deco buildings and other old historical buildings. LA though is known for being the suburban American dream though so I think it is difficult to change. Also, many of those houses probably housed many movie stars of old and they wouldn't want them destroyed. Another reason is that there is too much fear that increasing density will lower property values, and cheapen rent which will allow "poorer residents" to come in. I know that Hollywood tends to be a very rich area so I would think the residents want to keep it that way for many reasons.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
I do know the specifics, have read the plan a few times.

Those that call it the Manhattanization of Hollywood are frankly, idiots. Having discussed it with some of them in the past, most have not read the plan and cannot cite specific examples of where exactly in the plan it allows for unlimited heights throughout Hollywood. That's because it doesn't.

If anything the plan seeks to preserve the character of historic lower-density neighborhoods while increasing density (read: 6-10 story mid-rises that are typical of the area - such as the intersection of Hollywood and Vine). There are significantly more height decreases than height increases. The Hollywood Heritage Society, one of the most dedicated preservationist groups in the city, issued a critique of the plan that mostly dealt with it not being specific enough in its preservation efforts. Not a single mention of over-densificiation or Manhattanization.

The funny thing is, if you actually read the plan, it mainly focuses on improving the streetwall, doing away with strip-style development, encouraging pedestrian and cyclist-friendly development on the street and sidewalks, increasing park land (specifically the Hollywood Freeway Cap Park) and other intelligent planning. But of course all these opposition groups can latch onto is the fear that 2-3 more highrises will be built in Hollywood.

The opposition is a tiny minority of the neighborhood. They have a booth set up at the farmer's market on Sunday and it's a ghost town. Its mostly Hills residents worried about how the increased driving will hinder their ability to drive around and potential blocked views.

Last edited by munchitup; 06-01-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I would think that making LA and Hollywood more Manhattan like would be a good thing, but I don't know the specifics of it. LA seems relatively young, so I hope they keep the old Art Deco buildings and other old historical buildings. LA though is known for being the suburban American dream though so I think it is difficult to change. Also, many of those houses probably housed many movie stars of old and they wouldn't want them destroyed. Another reason is that there is too much fear that increasing density will lower property values, and cheapen rent which will allow "poorer residents" to come in. I know that Hollywood tends to be a very rich area so I would think the residents want to keep it that way for many reasons.
No offense, but this is pretty much completely incorrect. From Hollywood being low density to it being an upscale neighborhood, this view of the neighborhood honestly couldn't be any more incorrect.

Hollywood is one of the densest neighborhoods in Los Angeles (22k ppsm and up to 40k ppsm in East Hollywood) - actually one of the densest in the nation outside of NYC.

Most of the movie star homes are in the hills, which are not covered by this community plan. Most of the opposition is from these upscale neighbors, but their concerns lie with ruined scenery and increased traffic (because subway riders drive their car to the Hollywood/Vine stop, right? )

Hollywood in the 60s-00s was a open drug market and a red light district - not a rich, upscale neighborhood. In fact the street I live on was broken up to prevent "cruising" for sex and hard drugs: yucca street, los angeles - Google Maps (the barriers broke off)

If anyone is actually interested in reading it, here is the plan: http://cityplanning.lacity.org/compl...al/hwdpage.htm

Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If anyone is actually interested in reading it, here is the plan: Community Plans Publication : Hollywood
The only plan I could find on that page was this one from 1988.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Hollywood in the 60s-00s was a open drug market and a red light district - not a rich, upscale neighborhood. In fact the street I live on was broken up to prevent "cruising" for sex and hard drugs: yucca street, los angeles - Google Maps (the barriers broke off)
Yea, I'm surprised how positively Hollywood gets mentioned. When I visited it briefly (in 2001) it seemed a bit run down and sketchy. Didn't seem all that dense, but being from the New York metro I automatically associated strip malls with low density.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I'm surprised how positively Hollywood gets mentioned. When I visited it briefly (in 2001) it seemed a bit run down and sketchy. Didn't seem all that dense, but being from the New York metro I automatically associated strip malls with low density.
I never saw it in 2001, but from what I have heard, and seeing how many new developments have gone up in just the 1.5 years I have been here, it is a completely different place.

2001 is just when the Red Line was built, I believe. The subway is a major factor in the re-birth of the area. The Church of Scientology actually has a lot to do with it too, by buying up loads of property along Hollywood Blvd and renovating it for office space.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
The only plan I could find on that page was this one from 1988.
Hmm you are right. The page that has it has an URL of Department of City Planning

If you put that in, Click on "New Community Plans" on the left column, then click on Hollywood, and then "Latest Plan Update" and it will have all the PDFs there to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning