Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 PM

112 posts, read 262,670 times

Advertisements

I have two pet peeves when it comes to roundabouts:

1. Following someone as they approach a roundabout, and then they come to a stop because they apparently think the driver to their left, who has yet to enter the roundabout, has the right-of-way.
2. Following someone within a roundabout who comes to a stop because they apparently think the driver to the right, who has a YIELD sign and hasn't entered the roundabout, has the right-of-way.

In theory I like RABs as they are supposed to keep the flow of traffic moving efficiently, not come to a grinding halt. Since they are pretty straight forward, why is it that so many people appear like they are preparing for their driver's permit when they encounter a roundabout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Al of my roundabouts have stop signs from all sides.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's lunacy and defeats the entire purpose of roundabouts

Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
They are used for traffic calming generally around here. Also at the base of streets with weird layouts. We have rolling hills and semi blind curves. It helps.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
I believe that it will take another 20 years or so before 'Roundabout Etiquette' is worked out. I remember seeing stories in the newspapers about the proper way to enter Interstates back in the early to mid sixties as the Interstate highway system and merge lanes became common. Fifty years later people still have problems with it!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have never encountered a roundabout that has a STOP sign; they all have a YIELD sign for the driver approaching the RAB. When properly executed it does help with traffic flow.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM

497 posts, read 553,945 times
https://maps.google.com/?ll=37.85115...12,86.1,,0,1.4

Here's an example of a "traffic calming circle". As the name implies, they are meant to calm traffic and the central islands usually have small diameters (less than 50 feet).

People get confused in "roundabout" discussions because there are so many different views of what a roundabout is. The classification of roads are much more defined in people's minds. Someone wouldn't start a thread named "Road pet peeves" when they want to discuss the pet peeves they have when traveling on the interstate highway system.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Someone wouldn't start a thread named "Road pet peeves" when they want to discuss the pet peeves they have when traveling on the interstate highway system.
You have more confidence in your fellow posters than I do :-)

Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
https://maps.google.com/?ll=37.85115...12,86.1,,0,1.4

Here's an example of a "traffic calming circle". As the name implies, they are meant to calm traffic and the central islands usually have small diameters (less than 50 feet).

People get confused in "roundabout" discussions because there are so many different views of what a roundabout is. The classification of roads are much more defined in people's minds. Someone wouldn't start a thread named "Road pet peeves" when they want to discuss the pet peeves they have when traveling on the interstate highway system.
I typed "Roundabout pet peeves" because that's what I meant. I wasn't referring to your 'traffic calming circle' or anything else. I was specific enough for anyone that has more than two years of driving under their belt. For those who need the aid of a visual refresher (including you, impala096) I invite you to watch this:

Roundabouts - How do I drive a roundabout? (2 of 5) - YouTube

No stop signs. Not part of the interstate highway system. A simple YIELD sign. But not so simple for the people that tend to be in front of me, for some reason.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I believe that it will take another 20 years or so before 'Roundabout Etiquette' is worked out. I remember seeing stories in the newspapers about the proper way to enter Interstates back in the early to mid sixties as the Interstate highway system and merge lanes became common. Fifty years later people still have problems with it!
Hogwash - it takes about 2 trips for someone to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning