Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree. I do think some people might have dropped their car due to the great recession, but many other people are dropping their car by choice (and realizing economic benefits).

It might be for environmental reasons, or because they just want to live in a walkable place. It is a bonafide trend. I know quite a few people who do not drive by choice and do not even have a license......

I have been trying to ditch my car for the past 5 years (and I have increasingly made more money), but it hasn't quite worked out the way I wanted to. But I will absolutely ditch my car in the next five years. When I finish paying off my current one, I will give it to my parents, and hopefully my work situation will be convenient enough to take transit without too much of a time suck.

I have no attachment to driving, and would prefer not to be a full time car owner. More people are thinking the same way, or rearranging their lives so they can be a one car household. Or just driving less, because things are convenient.

My neighbor gave her car to her daughter who is about a 10 minute walk away.
The once or twice a months she would like/need to drive, she just calls her daughter.
Seems to be a win/win deal.

I can live my daily life just fine without a car, BUT once a week or so I need to
get out of town and up into the hills, so I will always need access to a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
My neighbor gave her car to her daughter who is about a 10 minute walk away.
The once or twice a months she would like/need to drive, she just calls her daughter.
Seems to be a win/win deal.

I can live my daily life just fine without a car, BUT once a week or so I need to
get out of town and up into the hills, so I will always need access to a car.
I know well, right now I live about 3 blocks from a car sharing station. We've got Zip Car and a local company called City Car Share.

And then there is this service:
Getaround - Peer-to-peer car sharing and local car rental

It seems pretty cool. You can outfit your car to be "rented" via an app. You make money when your car isn't in use. They are focusing on SF right now, but the super users are raking in $800 a month! For renting out their car!

If I didn't need my car at work, I would so be on it.

There are so many alternatives now in larger metros.

For people like you, car sharing is ideal, you pay a few bucks an hour when you need the car. And save the rest of the time.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Well looks like another study is showing a drop in Vehicle Miles Traveled by average americans:

2013: Another Year of Falling Per-Capita Driving in U.S. | Streetsblog USA

We are down to levels of travel not seen for a decade!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agreed, the subway and regional rail could be a lot better. However, funding was widely expanded this year via the Pennsylvania Transportation Bill, which is increasing funding for SEPTA by a HUGE margin:

http://www.pahouse.com/HACD/series/2...465_111713.pdf

In fact, SEPTA is already looking at catching up on long-needed maintenance and even future expansions now. Many others on here would know the details of it better than me. Very promising!
That is good to hear, Philly deserves much better rail service than it currently has. Though the current system is pretty good (except for the streetcar system, those crazy little rail buses are scary to ride in.)

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
I'm part of the 36.9% of Boston residents that don't own a car. I have no desire to do so either. I walk, take the T, and bike with no problems. If I wanted to buy a car, I could (can afford one), but I'd rather use those thousands of dollars to do useful things/save for the future.

Seriously, cars are a money pit. Why is it hard to believe that a large number of people simply don't wanna sacrifice that kinda green?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:12 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And then there is this service:
Getaround - Peer-to-peer car sharing and local car rental

It seems pretty cool. You can outfit your car to be "rented" via an app. You make money when your car isn't in use. They are focusing on SF right now, but the super users are raking in $800 a month! For renting out their car!

If I didn't need my car at work, I would so be on it.

There are so many alternatives now in larger metros.

For people like you, car sharing is ideal, you pay a few bucks an hour when you need the car. And save the rest of the time.
I wonder what effect this has on the insurance premium? I can see this being a liability can of worms.

And what happens when there is some illeagal substance found in the car later? who takes the rap?

Thanks but no thanks!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I wonder what effect this has on the insurance premium? I can see this being a liability can of worms.

And what happens when there is some illeagal substance found in the car later? who takes the rap?

Thanks but no thanks!
Getaround was super smart, they worked out a special insurance plan to make it legal. The reason they haven't expanded, their insurance deal is only in a couple of states. I wouldn't worry about it with Getaround or Zip Car. But Lyft on the other hand is iffy insurance wise. And Uber too, but not as iffy as Lyft.

Just a quick excerpt from their site:
Quote:
Protection
$1,000,000 primary insurance included. Drivers are screened to ensure they have a safe driving record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning